RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Elton Brand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Men's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/12/05 9:35 am    ::: Elton Brand Reply Reply with quote

Elton for MVP.

There, I said it.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 12/12/05 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fair enough. If Denver had a better record, I would say Marcus Camby. If Cleveland had a better record, I would say LeBron James.
As it is, the front runner is...TIM DUNCAN.

PostPosted: 12/12/05 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Fair enough. If Denver had a better record, I would say Marcus Camby. If Cleveland had a better record, I would say LeBron James.
As it is, the front runner is...TIM DUNCAN.

Yep, that about sums it up. Idea

But we'll see if Duncan can add to his lead when SA takes on LAC on Tuesday.. My guess is that the 7'0" Duncan will just be taking bank shot after bank shot over the 6'8" Brand.. Hence, why I generally don't like any PFs under 6'10". Confused

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/12/05 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Elton put up 30+ with 10+ rebounds against Ben Wallace, one of the league's best post defenders.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 12/12/05 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Elton put up 30+ with 10+ rebounds against Ben Wallace, one of the league's best post defenders.

Ben Wallace is 6'9.

But I agree that Elton Brand should be a forerunner for MVP right now.

Mathies to LA 2013
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/12/05 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wallace is also one of the best post defenders in the league.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 12/12/05 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Ben Wallace is 6'9.

But I agree that Elton Brand should be a forerunner for MVP right now.

Exactly. Idea 6'9" depending on the size of Ben's 'fro though. Razz We'll see on Tuesday...

Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/12/05 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But is Elton Brand playing that much better this season than he has in the last few? The award is for the most valuable player, not the guy having the best season, and the Clippers have been transformed by adding an experienced, smart point guard who gives them some leadership, rather than by Brand elevating himself and them to another level. Right now I agree Brand has to be part of the discussion (we're barely a quarter of the way through the season, of course), but I'm not even sure that Brand is actually the most valuable player on his own team.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/12/05 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
But is Elton Brand playing that much better this season than he has in the last few?

Yes, he is. This year, Elton is averaging 25.5 points, 10.8 rebounds, and 2.85 blocks per game, while shooting 55 percent from the floor and 77 percent from the line. His career average is 19.8 points per game (which includes the 20 games played this season), 2.0 blocks per game, and 49 percent from the floor.

Elton is averaging 5.5 points more than his previous best season average of 20.1 ppg. He also has a career best assist-to-turnover ratio this year.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 12/12/05 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
But is Elton Brand playing that much better this season than he has in the last few?

Yes, he is. This year, Elton is averaging 25.5 points, 10.8 rebounds, and 2.85 blocks per game, while shooting 55 percent from the floor and 77 percent from the line. His career average is 19.8 points per game (which includes the 20 games played this season), 2.0 blocks per game, and 49 percent from the floor.

Elton is averaging 5.5 points more than his previous best season average of 20.1 ppg. He also has a career best assist-to-turnover ratio this year.

Cam, by the same token, Amare Stoudemire should have been the MVP last season instead of Steve Nash. I agree with Richyyy. Elton is just being himself and much credit has to be given to I Am Sam.

PostPosted: 12/13/05 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Elton has been underrated...for many years...All Star numbers, but only one All Star berth...and that was when Shaq had to miss the game.

As for Amare, he had the improvement...and Elton STILL had better numbers. But Nash triggered that team. Elton has been a leader and still is. And that is from the coach's mouth.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 12/13/05 1:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Cam, by the same token, Amare Stoudemire should have been the MVP last season instead of Steve Nash. I agree with Richyyy. Elton is just being himself and much credit has to be given to I Am Sam.

Exactly. The Clippers are basically the same team as last year, except they lost Simmons and added Gollum. Idea

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/13/05 1:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Exactly. The Clippers are basically the same team as last year, except they lost Simmons and added Gollum.

Lost...Simmons and Jaric, to name a few. Added Cat Mobley, Daniel Ewing, and others. Basically the same team? Not hardly.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 12/13/05 1:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Basically the same team? Not hardly.

Agreed. Last season, they went out and competed. This season, they dominate. I'd like to think that the experienced backcourt (Mobley and Cassell) account for a major part of the Clippers' success.

Mathies to LA 2013
Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/13/05 1:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with you Cam, he's having an outstanding season (all this has to be tempered by remembering they've only played 20 games), and it's about time he was given some attention. And after you pointed it out I checked his stats and the FG% and PPG are markedly improved. He'll get MVP votes if the season continues like this but it'll be similar to the year the TWolves improved when they added Spree and Sammy - Garnett gets lots of MVP votes because his team's improved, not necessarily because he's any better than he was the previous five years.

The Clippers without their new backcourt are probably back down at .500 again and everyone would be paying just as little attention to them as usual. Maybe he does deserve consideration but I just think that it's Cassell who's come in and proven himself to be the leader and driving force that they've needed for several years.

Re: changes - yes they lost Simmons, but that allowed Maggette to move to his natural position at the 3, and Cassell was an upgrade on Jaric (if he stays healthy). As long as he doesn't have to do much but shoot, Cat Mobley is a reasonable addition at the 2, essentially replacing Simmons (with the Maggette move). This team is still not deep in any way shape or form, and their record might plateau a bit, especially if they hit more injuries.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 12/13/05 2:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
The Clippers without their new backcourt are probably back down at .500 again and everyone would be paying just as little attention to them as usual. Maybe he does deserve consideration but I just think that it's Cassell who's come in and proven himself to be the leader and driving force that they've needed for several years.

Re: changes - yes they lost Simmons, but that allowed Maggette to move to his natural position at the 3, and Cassell was an upgrade on Jaric (if he stays healthy). As long as he doesn't have to do much but shoot, Cat Mobley is a reasonable addition at the 2, essentially replacing Simmons (with the Maggette move). This team is still not deep in any way shape or form, and their record might plateau a bit, especially if they hit more injuries.

Very true. Idea Cassell helped Garnett get more MVP votes, and now he's doing it with Brand. A big thing Cassell brings to the Clippers, other than his game, is leadership. Before Cassell, there were no real leaders in Clipper-land. Exclamation

Indeed, losing Jaric wasn't a big deal, considering Cassell was an upgrade and they already have Shawn Livingston. And yes, Mobley essentially replaced Simmons. Idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Men's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: