RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Rosie Jones: We've Come a Long Way Baby

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanyogan

PostPosted: 06/12/11 12:27 pm    ::: Rosie Jones: We've Come a Long Way Baby Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
We've Come a Long Way Baby… Women have been breaking barriers for hundreds of years and this was one of those momentous events that even Pine Valley felt was special as Team USA were the first women to ever stay the night on property in "The Dorms." More like a private plush lodge with everyone having their own suite, the players were given every privilege and perfect hospitality as we enjoyed dinner in the boardroom and two other wonderful meals in the clubhouse.

Knowing the strict rules and regulations as far as females playing Pine Valley, I was reminded of a story about how Jack Nicklaus showed up to play a practice round at Pine Valley for the Walker Cup and his wife Barbara was not allowed any where near the premises. So in retrospect, many thanks to Pine Valley GM and Golf Director Charlie Raudenbush, Club President Jim Davis and member Russ Meyer who were all perfect hosts and for helping to make this as exciting and memorable event for all who attended. It was only fitting to give them a bottle of Champaign signed by all the players commemorating our "Sweet 16 Practice Session" donated by Mike Doyle at Pleasant Valley Wine Co, in NY.

Not one to give away all my secrets, we had a great time at dinner where I was able to speak to the players and give them my thoughts about the upcoming months and how our team was shaping up. Using a couple of motivational videos my hope was to inspire some of the young players looking to make their first Solheim Cup as well as motivate those on the bubble looking to make more points in the next several tournaments. It was a great chance for me to visit with players, spend time with them off of the golf course as well as have them interact with one another in some friendly competitive Minute to Win it Games! And it was Competitive!

And then of course there was the Golf at Pine Valley! Whatever I say here will not give it justice for the golf course which was in perfect shape and the conditions were absolutely awesome while the best women golfers our country has to offer teed it up on that Monday morning on America's # 1 golf course. Watching my players paired up in specific groupings was as much of a treat for me as it was for them to play. Lots of laughs and good golf shots were played as my strategy going into the summer starts to emerge with my sights on Ireland. Thanks again to AB Golf Design for the USA Boxing Glove Head Covers donated to the players. It was fun to see them propped up on a couple of player's bags getting into the spirit of "Go Team USA!"

Now, the excitement continues to grow as we watch the next couple months unfold on the LPGA schedule with three major championships and only five events total to rack up their points. Already as I track the players performance I'm starting to see the trends in who and what will make the difference on building the best possible team for September.

http://www.lpga.com/content_1.aspx?pid=23766&mid=1

I don't know what she said to those sixteen players but it worked. It will be interesting to see who the 2 capatain's picks are 11 & 12th player. She said it will be based on who is playing best at the time, and this year there are about eight players competing for about 4 spots 8-12, on points.

http://www.lpga.com/content/2011SolheimCupUSPoints.pdf

I've seen these players come to life. All but Gulbis really, she's come to life but just can't seem to put a great round together let alone 3 or 4 of them. She needs a big finish in a major, as to all of those eight to have a chance on points

You have to finish top 20 at an event to earn points.

Todays tournament leader, American Mindy Kim is not eligible for Team USA because she is not American by birth. Something tells me the Europe folks came up with that rule many years ago.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: