RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

McCarville
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
inky

PostPosted: 03/08/05 1:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is very difficult for young athletes, particularly ones who've achieved a modicum of success without much challenge, to break the habit of throwing off their back foot.

Young Janel should never watch Brett Favre. Her coaches should be on her to step into her shots, not away from them. It's a reflex, and it's a bad habit that can be unlearned. When the off-balance fade-away falls, it's a thing of beauty that defies the laws of nature. But it isn't good physics - it's the worst way to coax a ball into a hoop.

MNfan22

PostPosted: 03/08/05 1:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
tonight, on the other hand... yikes. This time she really did get outplayed by Roehrig. Terrible shot selection, falling into the bad old habit of fading away. Lost the game.

I think the reason is probably conditioning, which is still a problem for her, and is something she needs to work on for the W. But maybe it's more than just a physical problem...

Keep in mind WH she did turn the ankle in the OSU gm so that was not 100% Also she spent the last 2 day pushing around 2 +200lbs boulders for 30 plus min. (is there anohter conference in D1 that has as many "cornfed" bigs as the Big 10 ?) I think the frustration built up & like you said she went back to some old bad habits.

Top that off w/the season long problem (in my eyes anyway) that most of our guards have been unable to get her the ball in a timely fashion. If I were a post player that would frustrate the hell out of me too. The post players best passing friends have been each other. I mean come on our center has lead the team in asst. I wished the coaches would find a way to use Bolden more as a play maker. At least her passing into the post usually have some mustard and usually they are to Janel. Jamie (& Tash, LL & Pod & company) are going to need somebody to get them the ball next season. I digress, I still love the Gophs though.

Back to Janel; I think WHoops said it best a few wks back, that Janel will get a huge upgrade in teammates in the pros & I think she will learn to raise to the level of those around her. One side thought, the health of her Mom may weigh on her as well as she begains her pro career.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: