RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The LPGA today mourns the loss Erica Blasberg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanyogan

PostPosted: 05/10/10 4:35 pm    ::: The LPGA today mourns the loss Erica Blasberg Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
May 10, 2010 - The LPGA today mourns the loss of LPGA Tour player Erica Blasberg, who has died. Details on her death are currently unavailable.

What a shock. She played the last tournament in Mexico.

Thoughts and prayers to her family and friends.

PostPosted: 05/10/10 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad way too young.....

PostPosted: 05/10/10 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's another article:
http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/Erica-Blasberg-LPGA-player-dies-051010?GT1=39002

I'm not a golf fan, but I agree: this gal was way too young. Condolences to her family and friends. Sad

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 05/11/10 12:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some quotes from her father. She was just 25.

"At first glance it looks like she might have taken her own life, but at second glance, something is very, very strange about it," Mel Blasberg said. "We're waiting for the police to make an investigation; it's a pending investigation."

PostPosted: 05/11/10 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Some quotes from her father. She was just 25.

"At first glance it looks like she might have taken her own life, but at second glance, something is very, very strange about it," Mel Blasberg said. "We're waiting for the police to make an investigation; it's a pending investigation."

There was a 911 caller who has not been identified. As near as I can tell Erica was entered in Monday qualifying so she would have left Sunday morning at the latest. She Monday qualified for her last event in Mexico.

I don't want to speculate. But suicide was my first thought. I'm pretty sure that she and Ochoa played at least one year together at Arizona. So Ochoa retired #1 in the world in Erica's last event. That would get to me, at least a little bit.

Here is a very good remembrance story from a friend, writer, and former classmate of hers at Arizona. He even caddied for her a couple times on tour.

It's a good read for fans like me who never really knew that much about her.

Remembering Erica Blasberg
http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/devil_ball_golf/post/Remembering-Erica-Blasberg?urn=golf,240076

PostPosted: 05/11/10 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reading that article, it's utterly ironic that last night I was very upset with ESPN and the Golf Channel for not reporting Erica's passing, but putting every emphasis on Tiger's bulging disc or whatever he has, and his swing coach leaving him.

Then in that article the writer said that she'd only watch a tournament Tiger was playing in. Wow, at that irony.

I just remembered that I had her website bookmarked. It's been taken down now.

Still feels like someone kicked me in the gut, and I didn't even know her. Crying or Very sad

vanyogan

PostPosted: 05/11/10 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
Reading that article, it's utterly ironic that last night I was very upset with ESPN and the Golf Channel for not reporting Erica's passing, but putting every emphasis on Tiger's bulging disc or whatever he has, and his swing coach leaving him.

Then in that article the writer said that she'd only watch a tournament Tiger was playing in. Wow, at that irony.

I just remembered that I had her website bookmarked. It's been taken down now.

Still feels like someone kicked me in the gut, and I didn't even know her. Crying or Very sad

I watched Golf Central yesterday, they did cover it, but beyond speculation, there is just not that much to cover.

I think there is a lesson here for American female LPGA golfers, we do follow you gals, us homer fans. So don't ever think that just because the press ain't watching, that fans ain't watching. Wrong, I spotted or checked Erica's scores all the time.

Also, I read yesterday, and this is bizarre in my mind Jimmy, "Erica Blasberg" was the most searched on Google, Monday. Go figure... somebody most have never heard of, I guess it's the mystery of it all, how sad...

I checked the futures tour today, there is a young gal leading the futures tour with a sub 70 scoring average. They just played Dominion in San Antonio, the same course the Seniors play, so that number transfers to any tour, interesting to say the least. The kids' worst score is 73, two par 72's, and 11 sub par rounds. Yea, we are watching, the fans that is...

PostPosted: 05/12/10 6:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Their going to talk to one of her closest friends on CBS morning show today.

I have a dr. appt. and can't watch it, but I'm recording it.

jimmyk

PostPosted: 05/14/10 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:

I watched Golf Central yesterday, they did cover it, but beyond speculation, there is just not that much to cover.

I think there is a lesson here for American female LPGA golfers, we do follow you gals, us homer fans. So don't ever think that just because the press ain't watching, that fans ain't watching. Wrong, I spotted or checked Erica's scores all the time.

Also, I read yesterday, and this is bizarre in my mind Jimmy, "Erica Blasberg" was the most searched on Google, Monday. Go figure... somebody most have never heard of, I guess it's the mystery of it all, how sad...

I've always been hyper-sensitive toward young people passing away. The summers before and after my senior year of high school two friends of mine died in car crashes on the same day one year apart. That bothered me so much I was 20 before I learned to drive! Ever since, when I hear of someone young passing away, it always bothers me because I know how it feels to lose a friend way too soon.

During the second year our stations were covering Appalachian State, a girl who played field hockey for them died in a car crash. They announced what happened right before the first game they played against Furman that year. Furman is their biggest rival, but that day I didn't feel it at all. After that day the athletic department and the rest of the university did so much to help the folks who knew her. They were fantastic...it's the main reason I am such a fan of them.

Now it's Erica (not to mention the Virginia women's lacrosse player who was brutally killed by one of the men's players there). I always feel awful when stuff like that happens. The good news for the ladies on the LPGA tour is that the tournament in Mobile is this week and they can compete and in so doing let that go from their mind for a few hours. At least some of them, anyway.

vanyogan

PostPosted: 05/14/10 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
vanyogan wrote:

I've always been hyper-sensitive toward young people passing away. The summers before and after my senior year of high school two friends of mine died in car crashes on the same day one year apart. That bothered me so much I was 20 before I learned to drive! Ever since, when I hear of someone young passing away, it always bothers me because I know how it feels to lose a friend way too soon.

During the second year our stations were covering Appalachian State, a girl who played field hockey for them died in a car crash. They announced what happened right before the first game they played against Furman that year. Furman is their biggest rival, but that day I didn't feel it at all. After that day the athletic department and the rest of the university did so much to help the folks who knew her. They were fantastic...it's the main reason I am such a fan of them.

Now it's Erica (not to mention the Virginia women's lacrosse player who was brutally killed by one of the men's players there). I always feel awful when stuff like that happens. The good news for the ladies on the LPGA tour is that the tournament in Mobile is this week and they can compete and in so doing let that go from their mind for a few hours. At least some of them, anyway.

I know what you mean. I had a cousin who was raped and murdered at about 20. Then her brother had just finished school, another cousin, he died suddenly.

Years ago just outside my housing addition there were two kids riding bikes on the edge of the road, they got run over and killed.

Working in Russia, we had a tight knit group, but interacted a lot with certain Russians at the oilfield camp. One was a translator for one of us. We partied together, had BBQ, got together a lot. Five of them were killed in a crash driving into town. And they had a professional driver. These kids were mostly in their twenties. Most Russian vehicles didn't have seat belts.

After that I had a hard time just putting on a seat belt at home knowing I had to ride that dangerous road many many more times.

PostPosted: 05/19/10 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Erica's funeral was today in Corona, California. I read the third sentence of the AP story (same one on ESPN and the "Golf" Channel), and the phrase "her coffin" just made my heart hurt.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=5201052

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 05/20/10 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBS did another story on Erica's death this morning.

Apparently the cops haven't told the parents anything about her death.

Now maybe the family is just really good at keeping quiet about what they know and are letting the cops take the heat for it, or they just haven't been told anything.

They are waiting for toxicology tests. I'm not sure if they are thinking an overdose or if they just don't know.

2Old4Title9

PostPosted: 05/20/10 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is so tragic. There is a phenomenon called sudden cardiac death (or someting like that) where a person's heart just stops for no discernible reason. It can happen in young healthy people.

A friend of mine recently experienced this with a 19-year-old daughter, no history of any kind of medical problem. But very fortunately, the incident happened in a parking lot with other people around so help was called right away and paramedics got her heart going again. All the testing known to medical science has not revealed a reason for this. There have been no further incidents and the defibrillator that was installed in her has not even revealed any clues. The doctors "interrogate" it from time to time. They tell her she's kind of a medical mystery because people don't typically survive this.

Ineffably sublime
John 1:1-5
jimmyk

PostPosted: 06/02/10 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The investigation continues: http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=5240053

Searching her doctor's office now. This is starting to sound like a CSI episode.

vanyogan

PostPosted: 06/02/10 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
The investigation continues: http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=5240053

Searching her doctor's office now. This is starting to sound like a CSI episode.

Shocked

PostPosted: 06/02/10 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is my take on what took place so far.

She may have just OD'd.

She had picked up some prescription meds in Mexico. But this is not unusual because a lot of meds are over the counter there at a fraction of the price. If I ever get down there I would definitely do the same thing.

Someone texted from her phone that she was'nt playing AL, a late night text.

She may have been asphyxiated or drugged and asphyxiated. There was reportedly a white plastic trash bag found close to her body. The meds and plastic bag were on the search warrant. So the bag does not appear tp be hers?

She was packed and ready to go on Thursday, which people who travel a lot simply double up everything you always carry and leave it in the bags, the dirty clothes are removed and you reach in the closet and replace those. Erika probably had scores of free clothes shipped to her all the time by sponsors.

Her dad revealed that they found a new bag that wasn't there Thursday so she had unpacked a bag and repacked in a new one? Hmmm. Would I do this? Hell no. Or was she double or partially double packed?

Question Exclamation

PostPosted: 06/03/10 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've seen episodes of NCIS that aren't this deep.

There are some serious options as to what happened here.

For some reason, I'm thinking that we might all be shocked by what is determined. Someone called 911 then left? I can't stop thinking about that.

jimmyk

PostPosted: 08/24/10 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It hurts me to post this, but I guess I should:

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=5493577

It appears her "doctor" was there when whatever happened happened, called 911, and left. Yeah, maybe he found her there, who knows, but something still sounds fishy here. Altering the scene by taking the note and the drugs and hiding them in his car? Something ain't right.

Regardless, it's been ruled a suicide. I can't imagine how that feels. I didn't even know Erica and I feel like someone just kicked me in the stomach. Crying or Very sad

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 08/24/10 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What in the FUCK is up with this doctor removing things like a fucking suicide note? Good lord what an asshole.

Am I to understand that the poor thing hung herself? Oh God.

You know, I have to say something here. I've got a lot of experience. Drugs make you feel miserable. HORRIBLY miserable. Fucking cough and cold medications make ME feel like ending it all. You pile all this stuff into your system it really can make you feel so bad that you can't face the idea of going on. That's why drugs are so bad. Prescription medications. OTC preparations. Even herbs and shit like that. Booze, certainly. And I think some people's basic chemistry don't work well with drugs. Mine doesn't. I knew guys who were HAPPY dealing and having coke around them all the time, doing it every day for years. Happy people! Most miserable times of my life was when I was doing coke.

I don't know. I guess the smart money is that there was a relationship, she was in love, he's married (?), wouldn't leave his wife, she kills herself over it.

Not really able to think of any other reason why this guy would have a key or access to her place.

PostPosted: 02/27/11 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Outside the Lines is running a piece on this today

PostPosted: 02/27/11 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Outside the Lines is running a piece on this today

I saw it this morning. My non-sports fan neighbor stopped by while I was watching it and ended up staying to the end. It was very well done & covered an awfully lot of issues. I naturally thought of Van.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 02/27/11 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just watched the video of this.

Her dad seems like a real asshole. He's blaming a friend of hers for not doing anything and saying that she could have prevented it, then says that he's known that his daughter 'wasn't healthy' for a few years!

http://search.espn.go.com/blasberg/

vanyogan

PostPosted: 02/27/11 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Just watched the video of this.

Her dad seems like a real asshole. He's blaming a friend of hers for not doing anything and saying that she could have prevented it, then says that he's known that his daughter 'wasn't healthy' for a few years!

http://search.espn.go.com/blasberg/

Wow, just wow. I agree blaming Cho is BS. Cho was a good friend. She's had her own problems on the course and she was a great amatuer player as well.

Golf is hard enough for most people when you love the damn game. Force feeding it on a kid is insane. But Erica was an adult, she could have changed her life all on her own. She could have just gone back to school. Sounds like she didn't even have her own identity, and I would blame her father for that.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: