RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Liberty draft rumor!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeiraNY

PostPosted: 03/07/05 4:27 pm    ::: Re: Liberty draft rumor! Reply Reply with quote

My bad Mel! I forgot about Lobo...How could I??

I would LOVE to have CH if only to beat VePoop over the head w/ it...LOL!! I know, I know, I'm going straight to hell!!! Smile

BCBG25 wrote:
KeiraNY wrote:
we've never had a Lady Vol, a Huskie, a Longhorn, a Trojan...no one from a big school. The biggest school was Arkansas (and even that was risky. Not a whole lotta people had heard of Shameka Christon).

What, Lobo doesn't count as Husky Shocked
Isn't she the biggest UConn star BD (Before Diana)?
And we will have the greatest Lady Vol ever, very soon...and I'm not talking about Alan Houston Wink

Alepp03

PostPosted: 03/07/05 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
My bad Mel! I forgot about Lobo...How could I??

I would LOVE to have CH if only to beat VePoop over the head w/ it...LOL!! I know, I know, I'm going straight to hell!!!

And when you get there, you're gonna be seated right next to VeProf himself, making the experience just that much more amazing.

PostPosted: 03/07/05 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Knowing FFO, it is worse not knowing what's going on...

PostPosted: 03/07/05 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

first of all, I really don't think TJ is actually 5'3". 5'1" seems more accurate.

I think the Boykins analogy is apt. (you could talk Speedy Claxton too.)

Boykins is a fun player to watch. He has beaten my team several times. He is fast, works his butt off, is a good shooter (as TJ isn't really yet, but she's getting better), and a great passer.

But. Boykins can also be a huge defensive liability. If you have a point guard with a post-up game, it's easy money every time down the floor. All you have to do is post-up Earl, and then they have to double. Doubling the other teams point guard is a recipe for disaster.

That's why Boykins, for all his charm, can never really be a starter or a 40-minute point guard. And against certain match-ups, they just can't play him at all.

I think the same is probably true of TJ. She'll be good, fun to watch, a spark off the bench.

But do you really want to use a first-round pick to get that? If you're looking for a point, wouldn't you rather have Wheeler, Dionnah Jackson, or even Anne O'Neil? People who aren't as fast, but are taller, and thus more dimensions to their game?

It's a tough call.

I guess maybe we should really compare her to Debbie Black. She's not a superstar, but she managed to function fairly well as a starter for quite a few years, and now as a bench contributor.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/07/05 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
first of all, I really don't think TJ is actually 5'3". 5'1" seems more accurate.

I think the Boykins analogy is apt. (you could talk Speedy Claxton too.)

Boykins is a fun player to watch. He has beaten my team several times. He is fast, works his butt off, is a good shooter (as TJ isn't really yet, but she's getting better), and a great passer.

But. Boykins can also be a huge defensive liability. If you have a point guard with a post-up game, it's easy money every time down the floor. All you have to do is post-up Earl, and then they have to double. Doubling the other teams point guard is a recipe for disaster.

That's why Boykins, for all his charm, can never really be a starter or a 40-minute point guard. And against certain match-ups, they just can't play him at all.

I think the same is probably true of TJ. She'll be good, fun to watch, a spark off the bench.

But do you really want to use a first-round pick to get that? If you're looking for a point, wouldn't you rather have Wheeler, Dionnah Jackson, or even Anne O'Neil? People who aren't as fast, but are taller, and thus more dimensions to their game?

It's a tough call.

I guess maybe we should really compare her to Debbie Black. She's not a superstar, but she managed to function fairly well as a starter for quite a few years, and now as a bench contributor.

Agree in all respects. I think I might have different expectations from this draft than a lot of people. I think a good contributor to the team doesn't have to be a starter, even a first round choice. I think off the bench for 20 minutes a game and having an impact in that time will be sufficient out of this year's crop. If you think TJ is that type of player, fine take her in Round One.

I may have introduced the Boykins comparison and praised him as well, but it doesn't mean I'd take TJ as my first pick. That said, I don't necessarily see the other most likely available point guards as being able to impact a game the way she may be able.

In other words, I wouldn't criticize the pick, but I'm glad I don't have to make it!

Keegan

PostPosted: 03/07/05 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing - noted for my mock draft.

With regards to the point guard position, I don't think there is much room for the Libs to move if they're going to insist to play Becky there for 30 mins. I think KB is a decent backup. This draft isn't particularly Lib friendly.
Alepp03

PostPosted: 03/07/05 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If a particular team is looking for a PG, I don't know why they wouldn't be focusing on Dionnah Jackson. She can score, she can get to the free throw line, she is an aggressive rebounder, she takes good care of the ball, she passes very well, she is 5'9 and plays solid defense. She is IMO a top five player in the Big 12 along with Wecker, Tiffany Jackson, Sophia Young, and Steffanie Blackmon. Dionnah is the player to pick if you are going PG.

PostPosted: 03/07/05 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
This draft isn't particularly Lib friendly.

I am sure the F_Blaze_Coalition would argue any draft with Blaze at the helm is not going to be Lib (fan) friendly.

Alepp03

PostPosted: 03/07/05 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
This draft isn't particularly Lib friendly.

I am sure the F_Blaze_Coalition would argue any draft with Blaze at the helm is not going to be Lib (fan) friendly.

... you ain't never lied.

PostPosted: 03/07/05 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alepp03 wrote:
... you ain't never lied.

Thanks, Smoovie.

Alepp03

PostPosted: 03/07/05 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like to imitate other boardly personalities, some days its TDMFOTB V2.0, some days its smoovie...

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: