RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Griner vs. Cambage - Who will be the better pro?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Griner vs. Cambage - the better pro?
Griner
67%
 67%  [ 31 ]
Cambage
21%
 21%  [ 10 ]
About the same.
10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 46

mannman

PostPosted: 12/19/10 4:38 pm    ::: Griner vs. Cambage - Who will be the better pro? Reply Reply with quote

Who will be the better pro? Will it be a wash? The battle of the 6'8" centers. . .

PhoenixxLily
I Voted

Location: South Carolina, United States, North America, Earth

PostPosted: 12/19/10 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

griner is by far the stronger player...and is improving by leaps and bounds every game. haven't really noticed all that much improvement in cambage..i expect her to improve and i hope she gains some strength and gets her footwork together. but i'm not expecting her to overtake griner in terms of "better"

JohnyK

PostPosted: 12/19/10 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hard to say. Haven't seen Griner play against pro-level bigs, except her last FF game vs UConn and Charles. If I use just one game of Griner against Charles vs one game of Cambage vs Charles/Fowles a few months later I like Cambage more because of her shooting touch. Rebounding and blocking is a wash ATM.

GEF34

PostPosted: 12/19/10 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LilyJadeRose wrote:
griner is by far the stronger player...and is improving by leaps and bounds every game. haven't really noticed all that much improvement in cambage..i expect her to improve and i hope she gains some strength and gets her footwork together. but i'm not expecting her to overtake griner in terms of "better"

Just curious, tther than the World Championships have you been able to see a lot of Liz Cambage play?

I agree Brittney Griner has improved a lot since last year, but I haven't seen more than a few clips of Liz Cambage to make any kind of decision about her game or her potential.

ljohnverrell

PostPosted: 12/19/10 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No surprise in the poll or responses here. Very Happy

PostPosted: 12/19/10 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can Cambage take the physicality of the American game? That's my question at this time. Until she actually comes over here, and gets in the middle of it, finding out where she needs to improve (actually likewise for Griner), we have no idea what kind of pro Liz will be.

If Batgirl has any influence over Cambage, we may never see her here in the States...I'm just sayin'. Luv Suzy, but she doesn't like to get her hands dirty, or play defense, and that is why she hated playing in the W. If LJ can paint the picture of the positive effect of playing in arguably best league in the world, and how it prepares one for top level international competition...then we will see Liz, and see how she holds up to the physical play.

This is all Griner knows, and will continue to grow in it.

PostPosted: 12/19/10 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
Can Cambage take the physicality of the American game?

Is there one? In comparison to the international game there's almost no physicality allowed down low in the WNBA.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/19/10 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JohnyK wrote:
Rebounding and blocking is a wash ATM.

No way are blocks a wash. Nine blocks a game is common for Griner. I believe Cambage had nine blocks for the whole FIBA tournament. Griner is also capable of playing 40 mins a game.

Griner all the way.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
GEF34

PostPosted: 12/19/10 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
JohnyK wrote:

No way are blocks a wash. Nine blocks a game is common for Griner. I believe Cambage had nine blocks for the whole FIBA tournament. Griner is also capable of playing 40 mins a game.

Griner all the way.

Brittney Griner averages 5.54 blocks a game, 9 blocks a game is far from being common.

Edited: And since everyone talks about the match up with USA National Team and everything like that, 4 of Liz Cambage's 9 blocks in the World Championships were against the USA National Team.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 12/19/10 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Brittney Griner averages 5.54 blocks a game, 9 blocks a game is far from being common.

5.5 is still a heck of a lot of blocks though!

Having said that, I also think it's rather silly to compare stats head-to-head when one player gets theirs against college opponents while the other gets them in the World Championship.

PostPosted: 12/20/10 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

5.5 is still a heck of a lot of blocks though!

I agree, but 9 being common is also an extreme exaggeration.

norwester

PostPosted: 12/20/10 12:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clearly this Board is biased towards the American college system. Makes sense, since that's what people are familiar with here, by and large. On the other hand, Cambage could have the advantage of a couple extra years of experience in the W by the time we see Griner.

It's impossible to tell at this point.

PostPosted: 12/20/10 1:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
LilyJadeRose wrote:

Just curious, tther than the World Championships have you been able to see a lot of Liz Cambage play?

I agree Brittney Griner has improved a lot since last year, but I haven't seen more than a few clips of Liz Cambage to make any kind of decision about her game or her potential.

i'll be honest and say no. and i'll admit that may have skewed my opinion a bit. but...i stick by it. what i've seen of her, and the critiques here on rebkell have formed my opinion. i doubt it will change but....i'm open to the idea. cambage seemed to get banged around so much and not be able to hold her own so well. griner does too...but she's hard to shut down

PhoenixxLily
I Voted

PostPosted: 12/20/10 1:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
Clearly this Board is biased towards the American college system. Makes sense, since that's what people are familiar with here, by and large. On the other hand, Cambage could have the advantage of a couple extra years of experience in the W by the time we see Griner.

can we expect to see this particular thread be resurrected in a few years then?

GEF34

PostPosted: 12/20/10 1:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LilyJadeRose wrote:
norwester wrote:

can we expect to see this particular thread be resurrected in a few years then?

I think assuming both are playing in the WNBA at the same time, or have a match up coming up in the World Championships or the Olympics, but if there is little to no chance of a match up between the two probably not.

GEF34

PostPosted: 12/20/10 1:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LilyJadeRose wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
LilyJadeRose wrote:

i'll be honest and say no. and i'll admit that may have skewed my opinion a bit. but...i stick by it. what i've seen of her, and the critiques here on rebkell have formed my opinion. i doubt it will change but....i'm open to the idea. cambage seemed to get banged around so much and not be able to hold her own so well. griner does too...but she's hard to shut down

Fair enough, hopefully we will see Liz Cambage in the WNBA this year and Brittney Griner in a couple of years and they will be a big match up for years to come.

I just thought of something, what if they were on the same team in the WNBA they could form one of the best front courts in WNBA history.

JohnyK

PostPosted: 12/20/10 1:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
JohnyK wrote:

Griner all the way.

Jeez, learn to read and understand the whole text I wrote. I'm not comparing their numbers because there's no way to predict what kind of numbers would Cambage have playing against 6-2 posts in college, so my impressions were purely just on their games I've seen against a common opponent (Tina Charles).

PhoenixxLily
I Voted

PostPosted: 12/20/10 2:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
LilyJadeRose wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
LilyJadeRose wrote:

Fair enough, hopefully we will see Liz Cambage in the WNBA this year and Brittney Griner in a couple of years and they will be a big match up for years to come.

I just thought of something, what if they were on the same team in the WNBA they could form one of the best front courts in WNBA history.

very true. honestly i'd love to see griner, maya, and diana & company all on the same team. in reality that could never happen but good lord! i think other teams just wouldn't bother and just not show up Laughing

Shades

PostPosted: 12/20/10 4:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Shades wrote:
JohnyK wrote:

Griner all the way.

Edited: And since everyone talks about the match up with USA National Team and everything like that, 4 of Liz Cambage's 9 blocks in the World Championships were against the USA National Team.

It's common in the big games, like Tennessee and Connecticut. Wink I guess she's only reached the mark 3 times this year, but still far from a wash with Cambage.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Michelle89

PostPosted: 12/20/10 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cambage knows that if she wants Austrialia to have a better chance in future world championships and olympics that she needs to become better stronger and improve on every aspect of the game. She knows that the only way to reach her full potential is to play in the best womens league of the world and thats the WNBA. All the super star aussies have done it before her and she will do it as well. The only question will be when Smile Havent seen Griner play against the best players of the World(team USA) only against college players. So i want to see her next year in a team USA scrimmage(preferably against the aussies Razz ) Hopefully she will not pass the team USA invite this time. So far now i choose Cambage

Ilive4griner

PostPosted: 12/20/10 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’ve never seen Cambage play but I’m under the impression that her game is Similar to Pau Gasol how far off am I? I’m Hopeful that a Bay Area team will come along next year and draft Samantha Prahalis next year and then take Griner the year after. But about the poll I think Griner will be the best center to play the game when it’s all said and done.

PostPosted: 12/20/10 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think you can make the call until we see her play against superior competition. She can be contained (like UConn kind of did with a bunch of mostly freshman earlier this college season). People predicted Fowles to revolutionize the game, too, and while she is very, very good, she is not the best player in the WNBA and she has not revolutionized the game. Who knows what either Cambage or Griner will do?

These poll results are meaningless, but it's fun to have the debate, I guess. Clearly I can't help myself. Wink

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: