RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Gonzaga out?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaucho Don

PostPosted: 03/06/05 8:31 pm    ::: Gonzaga out? Reply Reply with quote

RPI of 48 before the loss to Santa Clara today (in the WCC title game in Santa Clara) probably only drop a couple spots with the loss.
1-1 against Top 25 RPI, 0-1 against next 25.

Translation one good win (Utah)... one bad loss (Santa Clara)

WCC is #13 RPI conference per Palm.

I'm guessing no, but hoping yes.

Or maybe one of Houston, Gonzaga and Chattanooga can sneak in? Chattanooga seems like the weakest of the three to me

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/06/05 9:45 pm    ::: Re: Gonzaga out? Reply Reply with quote

Gaucho Don wrote:
RPI of 48 before the loss to Santa Clara today (in the WCC title game in Santa Clara) probably only drop a couple spots with the loss.
1-1 against Top 25 RPI, 0-1 against next 25.

Translation one good win (Utah)... one bad loss (Santa Clara)

WCC is #13 RPI conference per Palm.

I'm guessing no, but hoping yes.

Or maybe one of Houston, Gonzaga and Chattanooga can sneak in? Chattanooga seems like the weakest of the three to me

I'm guessing Gonzaga doesn't make it. Houston seems to be on the outside looking in at this point. I think it will be a long week for Louisville - I think they should make it but I also thought they'd make it last year as their whole team and coaching staff did also and they didn't get the invite.

njjosh

PostPosted: 03/06/05 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see how they can get in. Their RPI will probably be in the 50s and their SOS rank will be below-200. Their only RPI-top 50 win was over Utah, and that was three months ago. A team with 27 wins should get in, but I don't see how their credentials match up.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/06/05 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:
I don't see how they can get in. Their RPI will probably be in the 50s and their SOS rank will be below-200. Their only RPI-top 50 win was over Utah, and that was three months ago. A team with 27 wins should get in, but I don't see how their credentials match up.

Who do they have to match up with?

Purdue has 12 losses and is only 5-5 over their last 10. They have a couple of good wins and a couple of bad losses.

Oklahoma's best win is also against Utah, also have double digit losses, they're also 5-5 over their last 10, and they also have two bad losses (to Tulsa and Nebraska)

UCLA is 1-5 over their last 6 and also doesn't have a top 50 win since early January.

Rice? SMU? Give me a break...

PostPosted: 03/07/05 12:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah, it's tough. Oklahoma has 8 wins over top-100 teams compared to 2 for Gonzaga. On the other hand, the Sooners also have 11 losses to top-100 teams, compared to 2 for Gonzaga.

You could tell the same story for UCLA and Iowa.

The Zags have fewer quality wins, but also fewer bad losses than many of the others.

One of the big problems Gonzaga has relative to these other contenders is that about half of its wins come against teams outside 200. When they get to the "nitty gritty" and start looking at record 101-200 and record outside 200, that's when you really see the weakness of the schedule.

I just don't know how I feel about a team with an SOS around 200 getting an at-large bid. I don't feel good about it. Then again, I don't feel good about a lot of these teams.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 03/07/05 12:21 am    ::: match up with Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
njjosh wrote:

Purdue has 12 losses and is only 5-5 over their last 10. They have a couple of good wins and a couple of bad losses.
(...)
UCLA is 1-5 over their last 6 and also doesn't have a top 50 win since early January.

UCLA was a good team before they lost Quinn, not afterwards. One of Purdue's "bad" losses was to UCLA pre-Quinn-injury. Purdue also looked very much improved on Friday, played OSU quite close last week, and beat Penn State. They should get in. (A few other bubble teams' "bad" losses were to UCLA pre-Quinn-injury, which isn't a bad loss at all.)

If the committee is evaluating teams as they stand now (that is, evaluating teams with unmabiguously season-ending injuries to key players on the basis of how well the teams performed post-injury) there's no way UCLA gets in. Oregon has a better claim.

I take no position on the Zags. I suppose it depends how good you think Utah is. My only real position on minor-conference folks is that Green Bay should get in even if they lose tomorrow night. (Temple should get in too, if the A-10's a minor conference, but I assume most people around here agree on that.)

Slovydal

PostPosted: 03/07/05 12:26 am    ::: Re: match up with Reply Reply with quote

Before Noelle was injured, losing to UCLA wasn't something to be ashamed of.
They would screw up once in a while and lose to Illinois or something, but the Bruins with the big three (Lisa, Nikki and Noelle) healthy are a great team.
Next year...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: