RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WPS Losing FC Gold Pride, Washington Freedom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scarab

PostPosted: 10/31/10 10:15 pm    ::: WPS Losing FC Gold Pride, Washington Freedom Reply Reply with quote

Hope Solo was sounding some sort of womens soccer death knell over on Twitter without being specific about what she was talking about. Just 2 tweets from her but it's causing a panic amongst women's soccer fans on Twitter.

Did a little research and I think this is what she's referring to:
WPS Losing FC Gold Pride, Washington Freedom

PostPosted: 10/31/10 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Which leaves them with the complete nonsense of losing two teams at the exact same time that they're holding an expansion draft for the new franchise. It's sad, but the main phrase that comes to mind when considering this league at this point is 'circling the drain'.

GEF34

PostPosted: 11/01/10 4:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the two teams officially fold before the expansion draft, will they make all protected plays from those two teams available during the expansion draft, or will they be made free agents and hold the expansion draft with the remaining 5 teams. I think they should still do the draft, because if certain players decide not to return to the league because their team folded and don't want to relocate the new team is better off going through the expansion draft and signing free agents.

Of the two teams I'm not surprised that FC Gold Pride is because they are the only team on the west coast and it makes it that much harder for them to stay in the league, having to travel across country for all the games, although the head office is in San Francisco, does that mean the front office will be relocating with all the teams on the other side of the country now. As far the Washington Freedom I'm very surprised they are folding because of the youth program they have, the W-League team they have and how long they been around, from the WUSA, after the league folded until now. I wonder if the Washington Freedom as an organization is folding or if its just the WPS team.

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 11/01/10 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not surprised about FC Gold Pride--I read a month or so ago that everyone in the organization were taking pay cuts to try and keep the team afloat--the massive travel east and an utter lack of knowing how to market a team is what most likely killed them off.

The Washington team is sad if it's true. Losing Washington hurts and adding Western New York(Buffalo/Rochester regional team) isn't nice, but this league is in SERIOUS trouble. But ya know-the NHL had 6 teams for the better part of three decades so you never know. The advertising/PR/marketing people need to get a clue though. only being able to draw just a tick over 3,000 a game--there just isn't any excuse for it.

toad455

PostPosted: 11/01/10 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have to say that due to the fact the league is losing these two teams probably means the 2011 season will be the final season.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Hawkeye

PostPosted: 11/02/10 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That is if the 2011 season actually happens. Just because there is a new expansion team doesn't mean the league will have a season--anyone remember the ABL?? Expanded with the Chicago Condors--don't think they played that year. I'm hoping the WPS gets their head out of their ass and continues--but I'm thinking soon the top league for women will once again be the W-League.

toad455

PostPosted: 11/02/10 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Chicago Condors & Nashville Noise were both expansion teams for the ABL's third season. But remember that their third season fold half way through.

The WPS has extended it's deadline for both teams to find new investors. I doubt it'll happen.

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 11/02/10 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ah I couldn't remember if the ABL played with Chicago and Nashville--I'm hoping WPS at last plays a third and Washington, FC Gold Pride (I so wish the name would be changed to Bay Area Gold Pride or San Francisco Gold Pride--but whatever) and Los Angeles would come back for year 4. It would be good to also have some central teams come on-line if the league survives--in places like Houston, KC, etc.

Scarab

PostPosted: 11/02/10 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WPS League Statement:
Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO (Nov. 2, 2010) – As part of the league’s restructuring implemented this past year, WPS teams are required to set aside reserve funds to secure their commitment to play in 2011. Teams are working toward finalizing their plans for 2011 – including securing needed investments – before the deadline which has been set for mid-November.

In light of this timing, the 2010 WPS Expansion Draft scheduled for November 4 will not take place, and the free agency period is expected to begin in mid-November.

In the meantime, WPS and its teams are continuing to explore all options with teams’ investors and partners in order to ensure that the maximum number of teams can commit to play in the 2011 WPS Season.

PostPosted: 11/02/10 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope at last either the Gold Pride or Freedom stay around. To lose two teams would be very bad for the league.

toad455

PostPosted: 11/05/10 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FC Gold Pride to move to Orange County??

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=ro-notebook110310

Scarab

PostPosted: 11/05/10 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who you might want to follow on Twitter to see what's being said about this:
http://twitter.com/FCGoldPrideGM
http://twitter.com/fcGoldPride
http://twitter.com/DCFreedom
http://twitter.com/DCFreedomFights
http://twitter.com/WPSFansGameDay
http://twitter.com/womensprosoccer

PostPosted: 11/05/10 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Scarab wrote:
WPS League Statement:
Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO (Nov. 2, 2010) – As part of the league’s restructuring implemented this past year, WPS teams are required to set aside reserve funds to secure their commitment to play in 2011. Teams are working toward finalizing their plans for 2011 – including securing needed investments – before the deadline which has been set for mid-November.

In light of this timing, the 2010 WPS Expansion Draft scheduled for November 4 will not take place, and the free agency period is expected to begin in mid-November.

In the meantime, WPS and its teams are continuing to explore all options with teams’ investors and partners in order to ensure that the maximum number of teams can commit to play in the 2011 WPS Season.

In English league's toast. Reminds me way too much of the way the Arena League went up in flames with the out outnumberring the in and the bad debt outweighing the good, while they are attempting to secure funds and acting in good faith (Moreso than the arena league did which still was odd) the way they keep pushing back and pushing back...I'd suspect more and more news...I will say how they're responding to twitter and meeting their challenge with transparency is better than the WUSA or the W have done, that's a plus, but there is likely too much to overcome here. Sad, they gave it a fair shake but came in at the worst possible time.

PostPosted: 11/05/10 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
FC Gold Pride to move to Orange County??

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=ro-notebook110310

Shocked Shocked

I know there was a lot of talk about the LA Sol moving to Orange County and when the WPS was first starting up Cal State Fullerton was considered as a possible home for one of the teams, but things didn't go through. I think it would be awesome for a WPS team in Orange County and as much as I love the FC Gold Pride team as it is now, I wish they weren't moving, I'd like to see current teams stay where they are instead of the league staying at the same number of teams every year, but every year the teams are in different cities.

toad455

PostPosted: 11/16/10 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like only the FC Gold Pride will fold with Chicago likely to return. The Washington Freedom will return with new investors. The WPS will have at least 6 teams, but likely 7 with Chicago.

http://www.mdjonline.com/view/full_story_sports/10326818/article-WPS-lives-on--looks-toward-future/

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 11/17/10 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Better than nothing but I'll believe the league is out of trouble when I see them on the field.

Anyone ELSE getting the vibes of the final (half) season of the ABL?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: