RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Kye Allums of George Washington Univ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newkid

PostPosted: 11/01/10 3:12 pm    ::: Kye Allums of George Washington Univ Reply Reply with quote

Transgender man playing for women’s basketball team

Very interesting article. Kudos to George Washington University WBB.

stever

PostPosted: 11/01/10 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nytimes take on it:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/02/sports/ncaabasketball/02gender.html

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/01/10 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I fail to see why this should even be a news item. Who cares if someone wants to be called he, she, or it? Obviously if he underwent surgery or hormones to actually make physical changes that would be a different story.

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/01/10 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I fail to see why this should even be a news item. Who cares if someone wants to be called he, she, or it? Obviously if he underwent surgery or hormones to actually make physical changes that would be a different story.

He can't undergo hormone treatments, or he'll get nailed for doping. Which says more about the NCAA. He's undergoing SRS before senior season, which might complicate the technicalities. (And also, ow, even if he's doing it the summer before.)

(now with spelling variations)
FS02

PostPosted: 11/01/10 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anything this unique that happens is news if the press gets wind of it.

My initial response is they're handling it the right way, you shouldn't disqualify someone unless they've done something that actually gives them a competitive advantage (... in other words, hormones).

PostPosted: 11/02/10 6:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The following is NOT directed at Kye Allums, Mike Bozeman, the GWU Colonials Women's Basketball Team or George Washington University. It is a statement of OBSERVATION that is directed solely at the NCAA about a consistent ruling it has made in the past on a different issue that this issue does bring up an obvious and significant question about. I support Kye's decision and agree that at least this season and as long as hormones have not been used (For a host of banned substance and PED reasons, not for gender identity reasons)

NCAA: You're allowing a transgendered man on a women's basketball team yet you refuse a Muslim woman to wear a head scarf designed for sport on the court. What the hell.

If you are going to allow someone to express transgendered identity (which I'm more than fine with.) I REALLY now don't see the issue with someone showing their faith in a way that was deemed compliant by other sanctioning bodies. I know this may seem apples and oranges to some but It is a hypocrisy by the NCAA...and one that can't be ignored.

PostPosted: 11/02/10 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NCAA: You're allowing a transgendered man on a women's basketball team yet you refuse a Muslim woman to wear a head scarf designed for sport on the court. What the hell.

They did? I thought that was FIBA. Does this mean Bilqis is NOT playing?

http://www.gotigersgo.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/abdulqaadir_bilqis00.html

PostPosted: 11/02/10 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If they reversed field...good...i was referring to a USF player about 2006...did not know others were allowed to play...and yes Fiba still needs to get its shit together about this...without question.

PostPosted: 11/03/10 6:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The thing I find amusing is that the articles contain quotes of people involved expressing support.

While I generally believe the quotes are true, if they weren't, what else are they supposed to say?

If they said they didn't support it, it would be a lawsuit waiting to happen.
ultrasonic

PostPosted: 11/04/10 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm curious to see how commentators will refer to Allums during televised broadcasts, ie. using gender-appropriate pronouns. If they demonstrate anything less than perfect respect, I figure I'll have just cause for a letter of complaint.

This IS a big deal in terms of raising awareness for genderqueer/trans-people, as well as their families/communities.

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 11/05/10 1:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is the reason I appreciate this forum. Folks here are so thoughtful. It's a refreshing alternative to that "other" forum. I really don't think I'll bother posting there ever again....

Very Happy

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/05/10 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some, for me, surprising shows of support from mainstream sports press.

Rivals

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Transgender-George-Washington-player-a-fascinati;_ylt=ApzVuKzI5kJ09fN_obbNc7FMgc4F?urn=ncaab-282180

Quote:
Kye Allums is showing more guts, more bravery, than any player on any college basketball court this season.

And Kevin Blackistone

http://kevin-blackistone.fanhouse.com/2010/11/03/kye-allums-courage-transcends-gender-athletics/

Quote:
But there may be nothing, and no one, that can make those of a minority feel less fearful than someone as brave as an athlete like Allums, who is standing up for his difference on a public stage and without shame. Some athletes have been called upon, like the football players at historically black A&T who stood up for their race. Others have been conscripted, like Magic Johnson who wound up having to stand up for those afflicted with HIV and AIDS. Allums was a little of both.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: