RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Out gay NFL players = 0 Outed gay cheerleaders = 2?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 11/07/05 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slow news day I guess... This was right below that story: Arrow

Quote:
Retailer Abercrombie & Fitch said on Friday it would stop selling some of its T-shirts after a national boycott by teenage girls, who objected to slogans emblazoned across the shirts such as "Who needs brains when you have these?"

Other T-shirts featured the slogans "Blondes are adored, brunettes are ignored," and "I make you look fat."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051106/us_nm/retail_abercrombiefitch_dc;_ylt=Avp07FF2KL7sA.SNuYMljRSs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3ODdxdHBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 11/08/05 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All over the USA, I can hear male sportswriters yelling "Hallelujah! We can go back to our 'lesbianic' cheerleader fantasies! No more thoughtful opinion pieces about Sheryl Swoopes and homosexuality in sports!"

The Austin American-Statesman, notorious for its 1993 (yes, we hoops-loving dykes have lo-o-o-ng memories) smearing of Jody Condradt and her Longhorns, actually has a ho-hum, who cares column today.

Quote:
John Kelso: It's not that I mind women who enjoy each other's company enjoying each other's company. It's just that there's a time and a place for everything, and a public bathroom in a bar is not that place. Unless there's nobody outside the door hollering, "Did somebody die in there?"

The Panthers cheerleaders, by the way, are called the TopCats. Even I won't swing at a fat pitch like that.

Why didn't these two TopCats just go down the road to Motel 4? That would have solved the problem. Hey, if this had been a classy organization like the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders, this wouldn't have happened. I'm betting they would have booked a room at the Hilton. The Panthers didn't return calls.

It's funny how this sort of stuff happens in bars with funny names like Banana Joe's, isn't it? You wouldn't expect this to occur in Esmerelda's Tea Room, would you?

We shouldn't be surprised that NFL cheerleaders would be involved in this kind of fracas, though. Has an alleged NFL cheerleader ever uttered an actual cheer in the history of the league? They're not cheerleaders. They're drool leaders.

http://www.statesman.com/metrostate/content/auto/epaper/editions/tuesday/metro_state_3407b5aa155251d5009e.html

AfterEllen.com takes a rather different view of the event and the media frenzy to cover it.
Quote:

Sarah Warn: Lesbian sex, cheerleaders, and cops? This is manna from heaven to the mainstream news outlets, who suddenly have license to write about a topic they would normally never get past their editors. As Tampa police spokeswoman Laura McElroy told the Florida's St. Petersburg Times, "Alcohol, sex and cheerleaders are apparently the ingredients for a hot story...because I am getting flooded with calls."

The problem is, the right wing likes to scare heterosexuals into voting away our rights by portraying gays and lesbians as sex maniacs, and the mainstream media enables them to do that with disproportionate and sensationalized coverage like this.

http://www.afterellen.com/Print/2005/11/cheerleaders.html

dtsnms

PostPosted: 11/09/05 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now they deny there was any sexual activity going on.

And they have been relieved of their cheerleading duties as they have "embarassed the Panthers"

And Penthouse has asked them to pose!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: