RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Texas voters add gay marriage ban to constitution

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carol Anne

PostPosted: 11/09/05 8:55 am    ::: Texas voters add gay marriage ban to constitution Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Voters tied the knot Tuesday with a constitutional amendment cementing marriage in Texas as being solely between a man and a woman and barring communities from legalizing same-sex unions.

With close to one in five voters turning out, Proposition 2 won approval by about a three-to-one ratio. Travis County, home to a leading anti-amendment group, appeared to be the only county where passage wasn't assured, according to incomplete returns.

The Lone Star State becomes the 19th state in which voters have inserted a marriage definition into their state constitution. The amendment landed on the ballot after being approved by a two-thirds ratio in both the Texas House and the Senate in the spring.

Fourteen of those other states have added gay marriage bans since last year, with anywhere from 57 percent to 78 percent approval, in the wake of court and legislative actions in some states — including Vermont, Massachusetts and California — permitting gay couples to receive legal recognition of their pairings.

Kelly Shackelford, president of the Plano-based Free Enterprise Foundation, steered the pro-amendment Texans For Marriage, tapping conservative evangelical pastors, including minority ministers.

Texans resoundingly believe in marriage remaining between a man and a woman, he said Tuesday night. "It's going to be hard to unhinge that. Texans know that deep from their soul, across the board."

As of late Tuesday, voter turnout appeared to exceed the 16 percent that had been projected by Secretary of State Roger Williams.
http://www.statesman.com/metrostate/content/metro/stories/11/9gaymarriage.html

"16 percent"? How is it that equal protection and equal rights for Texan lesbians and gay men can be banned by a mere handful of voters!

KeiraNY

PostPosted: 11/09/05 9:17 am    ::: Re: Texas voters add gay marriage ban to constitution Reply Reply with quote

It's a mystery to me why some people still want to live in Texas!! LOL! I'm only saying b/c Texas ain't exactly known for their progressive stances on many social issues, much less gay rights!

Carol Anne wrote:
Quote:
Voters tied the knot Tuesday with a constitutional amendment cementing marriage in Texas as being solely between a man and a woman and barring communities from legalizing same-sex unions.

With close to one in five voters turning out, Proposition 2 won approval by about a three-to-one ratio. Travis County, home to a leading anti-amendment group, appeared to be the only county where passage wasn't assured, according to incomplete returns.

The Lone Star State becomes the 19th state in which voters have inserted a marriage definition into their state constitution. The amendment landed on the ballot after being approved by a two-thirds ratio in both the Texas House and the Senate in the spring.

Fourteen of those other states have added gay marriage bans since last year, with anywhere from 57 percent to 78 percent approval, in the wake of court and legislative actions in some states — including Vermont, Massachusetts and California — permitting gay couples to receive legal recognition of their pairings.

Kelly Shackelford, president of the Plano-based Free Enterprise Foundation, steered the pro-amendment Texans For Marriage, tapping conservative evangelical pastors, including minority ministers.

Texans resoundingly believe in marriage remaining between a man and a woman, he said Tuesday night. "It's going to be hard to unhinge that. Texans know that deep from their soul, across the board."

As of late Tuesday, voter turnout appeared to exceed the 16 percent that had been projected by Secretary of State Roger Williams.
http://www.statesman.com/metrostate/content/metro/stories/11/9gaymarriage.html

"16 percent"? How is it that equal protection and equal rights for Texan lesbians and gay men can be banned by a mere handful of voters!

PostPosted: 11/09/05 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Isn't it a little unfair and disrespectful to generalize a whole state? The majority of the state didn't even vote on the Proposition. There's nothing wrong with living in Texas that you couldn't compare to another state.

There are bigots, racists, and homophobes in NY and California as well. As a matter of fact, there are plenty of them. Everyone in Texas isn't walking around in cowboy hats married to their cousin with a Bush bumper sticker on their F-150 nor is everyone ignorant and uneducated. There are plenty of people in Texas who either support or don't care about gay marriage just as there are plenty of people in NY who vehemently oppose it. I'm Spanish Harlem until the day I die but New Yorkers should be the last ones stereotyping another state.
4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 11/09/05 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gee, start with no state income tax, then add reasonable housing costs, and a not too bad job market. Those are some reasons to live in Texas.

I am a native, and no matter where I live or where I go, I am a Texan. As a songwriter once said: Texas is a state of mind. Granted, some parts have states of mind that are more palatable to some than others, and one is free to move from place to place without a passport.

PostPosted: 11/09/05 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
Gee, start with no state income tax, then add reasonable housing costs, and a not too bad job market. Those are some reasons to live in Texas.

I am a native, and no matter where I live or where I go, I am a Texan. As a songwriter once said: Texas is a state of mind. Granted, some parts have states of mind that are more palatable to some than others, and one is free to move from place to place without a passport.

Lest we not forget the plethera of WHoops players out of Texas. I think they field the most in the country.

PostPosted: 11/09/05 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes I know. I knew this was going to get a few panties in a twist. I wasn't trying to generalize, merely talking about the state of Texas just like th article. There are bigots everywhere, they're not exclusive to Texas, the south or any other place.

f_blaze_coalition wrote:
Isn't it a little unfair and disrespectful to generalize a whole state? The majority of the state didn't even vote on the Proposition. There's nothing wrong with living in Texas that you couldn't compare to another state.

There are bigots, racists, and homophobes in NY and California as well. As a matter of fact, there are plenty of them. Everyone in Texas isn't walking around in cowboy hats married to their cousin with a Bush bumper sticker on their F-150 nor is everyone ignorant and uneducated. There are plenty of people in Texas who either support or don't care about gay marriage just as there are plenty of people in NY who vehemently oppose it. I'm Spanish Harlem until the day I die but New Yorkers should be the last ones stereotyping another state.

PostPosted: 11/09/05 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is anyone surprised by this? I frankly expected something a little stronger from Texas - perhaps legislation suggesting that "all gays and lesbians will be shot on sight. We told you not to mess with Texas." Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: