RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sign me up for Olivia's retirement community

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 11/01/05 11:17 am    ::: Sign me up for Olivia's retirement community Reply Reply with quote

http://www.qtmagazine.com/article.cfm?section=22&id=7206

Hard to believe this company started as a handful of women who pressed vinyl for mid-70s lesbian musicians like Meg Christian, Chris Williamson, Teresa Trull, and Sweet Honey on the Rock.

Olivia's budget was so anemic that my first gf and housemates hosted the Olivia recording artists who came to play in our town. We were a bunch of vegans who worked at the co op, were unemployed, or students without a major or a plan. Strangely enough, three of us went on to be a systems analyst, a doctor, and a scientist. The fourth moved to New England to make jewelry and live off off the land. She said she would supplement her income picking apples in Maine.

In retrospect, maybe we all would be better off if we had stuck by the girls from Olivia.
Wink

Quote:
“Now we're a travel company, but what I really think we are is a lifestyle company,” said Amy Errett, Olivia’s CEO. “We see ourselves as becoming the gay AARP.”

Errett told MSNBC she anticipates strong demand for the Palm Springs community..

smenko

PostPosted: 11/01/05 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You mentioned the name of a group: Sweet Honey on the Rock, is that the same group known as Sweet Honey in the Rock, the black gospel, a capella, group?

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 11/01/05 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

smenko wrote:
You mentioned the name of a group: Sweet Honey on the Rock, is that the same group known as Sweet Honey in the Rock, the black gospel, a capella, group?

Yes! I had to look it up, but they are the same group.

http://www.sweethoney.com/

http://www.glbtq.com/arts/sweet_honey_in_rock.html

Quote:
While only one member of Sweet Honey was self-identified as a lesbian (Evelyn Maria Harris, who sang with the group for eighteen years), the experience of working with and performing for political lesbians led Reagon to write songs specifically about women loving women and to reevaluate the group's overall political mission.

That first song included the powerful lyric: "Every woman who ever loved a woman / You ought to stand up and call her name / Mama, sister, daughter, lover." As Reagon explains, the group's exposure to the lesbian community led them from that point forth to "sing about oppression of every kind, including the oppression experienced by the homosexual community."

Reading about Sweet Honey now tells me a lot more than I knew then, but the experience of being lifted by the music is the same after all these years.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 11/01/05 3:25 pm    ::: Re: Sign me up for Olivia's retirement community Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:
In retrospect, maybe we all would be better off if we had stuck by the girls from Olivia. Wink

blue, what is this world coming to? Question First you tell me that lesbians go to NASCAR races, now you call the wimmen of Olivia Records "girls." Shocked I'm ready for that Olivia retirement home! Very Happy

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 11/01/05 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speaking of Olivia, do you remember those lines from Margaret Cho's
I'm the One that I Want?"

"1000 lesbians..on the boat...we can't get off. So much drama."
"Were you looking at her, or her, or her, or her, or her, or her....well, were you?"

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/01/05 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

"Were you looking at her, or her, or her, or her, or her, or her....well, were you?"

"Am I gay? Am I straight? Then I realized I'm just slutty. Where's my parade?"

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 11/01/05 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

"Am I gay? Am I straight? Then I realized I'm just slutty. Where's my parade?"

You a big girl. You go! You go, girl. No I mean you GO...BYE!

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 11/01/05 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

We knew Cho had been a relationship with Quentin and loved men, but when we heard her comedy routine on Olivia we were positive that she had been in a lesbian relationship. Wink

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/01/05 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

We knew Cho had been a relationship with Quentin and loved men, but when we heard her comedy routine on Olivia we were positive that she had been in a lesbian relationship. Wink

Margaret identifies as bisexual, and nothing beats her p***y-eating bit in "Notorious C.H.O."

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 11/01/05 4:12 pm    ::: Re: Sign me up for Olivia's retirement community Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
bluewolfvii wrote:
In retrospect, maybe we all would be better off if we had stuck by the girls from Olivia. Wink

blue, what is this world coming to? Question First you tell me that lesbians go to NASCAR races, now you call the wimmen of Olivia Records "girls." Shocked I'm ready for that Olivia retirement home! Very Happy

Honey, there's a time to mourn Tiamet and a time to celebrate Dinah Shore.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 11/01/05 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
bluewolfvii wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Margaret identifies as bisexual, and nothing beats her p***y-eating bit in "Notorious C.H.O."

Thank you Matty, that would be a good DVD to watch again, if I can find it, before tonight's installment of the lovely Geena Davis in Commander iin Chief.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 11/01/05 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

Actually, Cho says she is "omnisexual." She dated a woman she met on an Olivia cruise. She dated Tarantino. She also dated Chris Isaak.

As for the eating, are you talking about when she does her deep sea diving and swimming impersonation? That was also in "I'm the One that I Want."

Keegan

PostPosted: 11/02/05 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Actually, Cho says she is "omnisexual."

Ficuses worldwide are looking quite worried.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: