RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

*SPOILER* LPGA Championship @ Locust Hill

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanyogan

PostPosted: 06/26/10 10:29 am    ::: *SPOILER* LPGA Championship @ Locust Hill Reply Reply with quote

Kerr started the day with a five shot lead over Mika Miazato and has maintained that with a 1 under round thru 7 holes this morning. They teed off early today trying to beat an afternoon rain storm.

Asahara Monuz, hanging in there, -2 today, 6 shots back. I'm very impressed with this rookie. From ASU, she started her college career with a 74 plus stroke average and finished her last two years under 72. She has shaved another shot off that as a tour player going into this week she is down to 70.50...that is impressive to say the least. A former NCAA champion, a 3.98 GPA, former British amateur and Spanish Amteur champion. This kid just keeps getting better. She has shown some real patience out there this week. It could pay off big time tomorrow evening if she keeps it up.

Jiyai Shin, making a move today, she can go low on any day and any course.

Bam Bam. Geez, she's only hitting 1 out of three fairways, but she has saved some pars, made more birdies than anyone else, so she is all over the golf course and still hanging in there. She needs to take a lesson from Davis Love, when he was the longest hitter, he was inconsistent like her, but when he rained in his big swing just a bit he became a consistent contender and winner. The fairways here are 18 - 25 yards wide depending on how difficult the hole is playing and the rough is thick.

Should be interesting, Kerr needs to be conservative but still keep her foot on the gas when she gets opportunities to attack flags.

PostPosted: 06/26/10 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kerr Bogeyed 10, and Miazato birided, two shot swing, Kerr lead down to 3 shots at 10 under. Kerr even par on the day.

Mika MIazato. She won the Japan amateur at age 14. She won the Junior World at Torrey Pines. This is the biggest junior event you can win. She turned pro last year, had a few top tens including a 4th on this course last year. She's a short hitter, which should keep her in the fairway but it also makes you a patient player since you can't always attack the hole. None of her stats this year standout, but that's why we play em out anyway. Laughing

Megan Francella has got it to four under thru 14. She is another player who can get hot and go low.

PostPosted: 06/26/10 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On related note, am looking forward to the LPGA's upcoming local stop here, beginning July 1, at the Jamie Farr Owens Corning Classic. Christina Kim will be signing copies of her new book on Tues., at a very close Barnes and Nobles(may try to sneak over).

Thoroughly enjoy LPGA's stop over here, and they receive massive media coverage. Can't walk the course w/them anymore, but can watch any aspect of their play, and interviews, during their temporary residency here.

The LPGA Tounament will always receive financial/sincere fan support here, and the players are treated as visiting demi-goddessses.

vanyogan

PostPosted: 06/26/10 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shadowboxer wrote:
On related note, am looking forward to the LPGA's upcoming local stop here, beginning July 1, at the Jamie Farr Owens Corning Classic. Christina Kim will be signing copies of her new book on Tues., at a very close Barnes and Nobles(may try to sneak over).

Thoroughly enjoy LPGA's stop over here, and they receive massive media coverage. Can't walk the course w/them anymore, but can watch any aspect of their play, and interviews, during their temporary residency here.

The LPGA Tounament will always receive financial/sincere fan support here, and the players are treated as visiting demi-goddessses.

This is the biggest annual sporting event in the area?

I looked at trying to get there, and costs, I just could not figure it out. Being a big Se Ri fan I really wanted to go there. Oh, I read sometime ago that there is a Korean restaurant where they all go, it's like a home to the Koreans. You might want to check that out.

PostPosted: 06/26/10 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, Kerr has opened up a 7 shot lead. I think it's raining there the past hour or so.

If Kerr can get in with a 7 shot lead, I doubt even she can blow that one on her worst day. She hitting her irons great, and putting great. She's been missing a bunch of fairways today as well.

I think I've figured out what she is doing. I think she is favoring the side of fairway that opens up the green, so if she misses that direction she can still bounce the ball on the green. I'll be watching that today to see how she is pulling this thing off without making a bunch of bogeys.

ETA: Going into 18, Kerr had a six shot lead, Miyazato, M., made double bogey, so Kerr will go into the final round with an 8 shot lead. I don't get it quite frankly, how she can be that much better.

For example, right now there are about five players vying for #1 this year, I checked the scoring average today, there are five players averaging 69 point something. Shocked As far as I know that is a first even early in the year. So, it's not because Ochoa retired, it's because players have stepped up, we are seeing the best golfers every week and we are seeing them playing historical low scores.

Five players under 70 in scoring, and little Ai Miyazato has won FOUR times!

I love LPGA golf right now... if you get a chance, go see it, it's about the cost of a trip to the movies...

PostPosted: 06/26/10 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
shadowboxer wrote:

I looked at trying to get there, and costs, I just could not figure it out. Being a big Se Ri fan I really wanted to go there. Oh, I read sometime ago that there is a Korean restaurant where they all go, it's like a home to the Koreans. You might want to check that out.

Biggest event for women until UT WBB starts back up. But, men and women here love golf. We usually hold the US Open here once a decade, at Inverness. There was a famous golf course designer from Toledo, and many local courses are his creation(don't know his name, off hand). We held the NCAA Golf Championship last year, I believe.

Once UT football, and then men and women's basketball begins, all else pales until next Spring.

Now that UT has that massive indoor golf, football, softball/baseball, track, soccer et al facility, I suspect an uptick in all those heretofore negleted Spring college sports.

Know the restaurant you are referring to, although last year their meeting at Mancy's shook the LPGA golf world.

shadowboxer

PostPosted: 06/26/10 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Addendum to my post: Toledo has many AAA teams, Mudhens for baseball, Hockey AAA, etc... They all have brand new arenas, also. You get the drift. Did not want to diss leagues/sports I do not follow. Wink

vanyogan

PostPosted: 06/26/10 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shadowboxer wrote:
vanyogan wrote:
shadowboxer wrote:

Biggest event for women until UT WBB starts back up. But, men and women here love golf. We usually hold the US Open here once a decade, at Inverness. There was a famous golf course designer from Toledo, and many local courses are his creation(don't know his name, off hand). We held the NCAA Golf Championship last year, I believe.

Once UT football, and then men and women's basketball begins, all else pales until next Spring.

Now that UT has that massive indoor golf, football, softball/baseball, track, soccer et al facility, I suspect an uptick in all those heretofore negleted Spring college sports.

Know the restaurant you are referring to, although last year their meeting at Mancy's shook the LPGA golf world.

Ok, I know the wise thing to do is just walk around this one, but... I gotta ask.

Quote:
As many as 15 prominent LPGA players met at Mancy's Restaurant in Toledo during the Farr Classic to discuss the tour's plight.

Is this it? Laughing

PostPosted: 06/26/10 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, that's the one. It is 5 star restaurant in it's own right, but many a business has risen or fallen in that esteemed facility. The outcome of that particular meeting seemed to benefit the LPGA players, and their tournament structure. This from a total LPGA outsider's observations.

vanyogan

PostPosted: 06/26/10 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shadowboxer wrote:
Yes, that's the one. It is 5 star restaurant in it's own right, but many a business has risen or fallen in that esteemed facility. The outcome of that particular meeting seemed to benefit the LPGA players, and their tournament structure. This from a total LPGA outsider's observations.

Well, if it's a Korean restaurant, their little Toledo home, and the big heavy weights of the tour went there to vote out the Commish, that's cool as hell if you ask me.

PostPosted: 06/26/10 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A few comments on todays round.

Kerr has an 8 shot lead with nobody on cosequence close to her, so she can become #1 in the world tomorrow or she can ruin her career. It's all in. No pressure Laughing

Jamin Kang, dayem, this girl is seriously hot. Attention young Arizona bachelors, this gal is looking for a guy.

Azahara Munoz, hot and seriously talented. Her putter seems average. She needs to become a better putter. That said she is tied for second, and I think in the last group come Sunday, in her first major championship as a pro. Very impressive...

PostPosted: 06/26/10 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good grief I hope Kerr can finish this tomorrow. She won the State Farm with a slight lead a couple of weeks ago. She won the US Open with a slight lead, but she lost it last year with a slight lead.

I really think her only weakness is her fitness and an affinity for big meals and wine. I think she has enough time today/tomorrow to eat her big meal drink a bottle of wine and still be more than fresh by the time she tees off.

The only time I saw her play in person she teed off a couple shots back with Se Ri about eight years ago on a Sunday. I can honestly say I don't remember a single shot that she hit. She was outta sorts on the first hole and never really recovered. She has come a long, long way from that day...

PostPosted: 06/27/10 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
[snip]...I really think her [Cristie Kerr] only weakness is her fitness and an affinity for big meals and wine. I think she has enough time today/tomorrow to eat her big meal drink a bottle of wine and still be more than fresh by the time she tees off...[snip]

I knew that Cristie has had weight issues in the past, and then she got into shape and lost about 50 pounds in the process. That was about 10-11 years ago.

Then, this morning, I was reading the newspaper coverage of the tournament, and it looks like she starting to gain weight again. Has she slacking off on her dieting habits?

vanyogan

PostPosted: 06/27/10 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
vanyogan wrote:
[snip]...I really think her [Cristie Kerr] only weakness is her fitness and an affinity for big meals and wine. I think she has enough time today/tomorrow to eat her big meal drink a bottle of wine and still be more than fresh by the time she tees off...[snip]

I knew that Cristie has had weight issues in the past, and then she got into shape and lost about 50 pounds in the process. That was about 10-11 years ago.

Then, this morning, I was reading the newspaper coverage of the tournament, and it looks like she starting to gain weight again. Has she slacking off on her dieting habits?

No, I don't think she is anywhere close to where she was 10 year ago. I don't think you can necessarily tell how fit a person is by looking. I mean look at Laura Davies, you would think she can't walk the course, but she plays football, she can run around a field, I've seen her in person, her calves are bigger than most thighs, a lot bigger Laughing

I think where her diet might hurt Kerr is the US Open. I thought she made a couple of tired swings that really hurt her chances last year. So under high stress, long days, tough course, hot weather, I think her diet and certainly wine does not help. Now that she is number 1, at least this week, and probably next week, her days get longer, not shorter.

ETA: Kerr has been out there about 14 years now, dinner is about her only pleasure off the course on tour, so, have at it but the US Open, and intense heat I think you need a lot of energy.

PostPosted: 06/29/10 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Voepel on the LPGA

http://voepel.wordpress.com/2010/06/29/the-lpga-championship-past-present-and-future/

Quote:
But, especially with a national sports media that has shamelessly regressed in the last few years in regard to employing journalists who have interest in and historical knowledge of women’s sports, the LPGA has very intentionally been shoved into the shadows by national outlets.

PostPosted: 06/30/10 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You probably have it, but refer to www.toledoblade.com, sports section, and most of it, for tons of LPGA coverage. Am sad to say LPGA will take a one yr hiatus from Toledo next year, as can't afford both LPGA and Senior Open, simultaneously, in our economy. Would prefer LPGA over Senior Open. The next 3 yrs here are contract-guaranteed, per Zach Silka's article, at same toledoblade website.

Also sounds like the young amateurs are having good outings, like Korda, and a local, Shimmel, per Dave Hackenberg's column.

Our UT WBB coach, Tricia Cullop, as well as Toledo native, Christine Brennan helped kick off the Celebrity/Pro Challenge, among others.

vanyogan

PostPosted: 06/30/10 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shadowboxer wrote:
You probably have it, but refer to www.toledoblade.com, sports section, and most of it, for tons of LPGA coverage. Am sad to say LPGA will take a one yr hiatus from Toledo next year, as can't afford both LPGA and Senior Open, simultaneously, in our economy. Would prefer LPGA over Senior Open. The next 3 yrs here are contract-guaranteed, per Zach Silka's article, at same toledoblade website.

Also sounds like the young amateurs are having good outings, like Korda, and a local, Shimmel, per Dave Hackenberg's column.

Our UT WBB coach, Tricia Cullop, as well as Toledo native, Christine Brennan helped kick off the Celebrity/Pro Challenge, among others.

I did read the coverage! I love LOCAL golf coverage. I read most of what they printed in Rochester and watched the online videos as well. They have been done online coverage at the Wegmans several years now and they interview players you would normally never hear about. Priceless!

Glad to hear that the Farr will be back. Tradition is SO important in golf.

I'm a bit disappointed in the cancellations by some top players, but it is understandable. 4 weeks is about max for a tour player to stay out, they really don't get a day off except travel day, unless you miss a cut. This is why health fitness and nutrition are so important. I have been a road warrior just working in past, I can't fathom how hard it is to be a tour player, especially a female, and especially this year, the pie is so small, there is no room for error and this year's rookie crop are really in a tough spot.

This year all the money and all the big time points are packed into about six weeks, we still have the US Open, Evian(big money), and then the British Open, and they re all packed in together. So it's understandable top players or any player who can afford a week off should take it. Everyone isn't in the Evian or the BO, so that is why some are there, but it still sucks.

Jamie Farr and Toledo deserve better for there support, and on the other hand taking a year off is better than doing something stupid that could jeopardize the longevity of the Farr.

I have a sneaky feeling that something great will happen at the Farr this year, just because. The local girl is is a great story, I'd be a bit disappointed if UM fan, she should have got coverage front page at the UM site. Oh well. She shot 74 qualifying which won't come close to making the cut, but good for her, a chance to see where she is.

Korda is a pretty good amateur, and this is her first LPGA event, so she could really excel, or she too could have a struggle, but it's always interesting. Well she is more than good, she has already had some rounds in the Open most pros would love to have.

If you are interested in a new player, I just got around to checking this girl out today, but she is a real amazing golf story IMO. This girl didn't start playing until she was 13, and she just won the Womens Amateur Public Links. It was only the second national tournament she qualified for and she won it! [Emily Tubert]

What's up with Arkansas? First they get Stacy Lewis, a nominal recruit, who has back surgery and becomes a top player. They drafted a ranked junior player this time, but she was like #39, I think when they signed her and she wins her first AGJA tourney the next week followed shortly by winning the second biggest Amateur you can win in the Public Links.

Emily Tubert, Google this kid. I just checked and she is leading the AJGA TOC, another national event after two days, on her new home course at Arkansas! The Kid is 5'11" and hits it about 270 which makes her one of the biggest hitters in womens golf. This kid has no where to go but up and Arkansas was a fine choice for her. They can make her a better player.

I would love to see her get an invitation to the Nabisco next year. That's the funny thing about junior golf, in order to get a ranking you have to travel, and you have to pay for it. So there are players out there who don't get opportunities.

When I was a kid, 15, I had access to a course but I could not afford to play the junior golf circuit, not even in my own state, so I only got to play a few events a year outside high school golf.

Brittany Lincicome never received any exemptions to LPGA events and she is the most accomplished young player we have on the LPGA. I guess you could argue Creamer, more wins, but I take major champions first.

PostPosted: 07/01/10 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Voepel on the LPGA

http://voepel.wordpress.com/2010/06/29/the-lpga-championship-past-present-and-future/

Quote:
But, especially with a national sports media that has shamelessly regressed in the last few years in regard to employing journalists who have interest in and historical knowledge of women’s sports, the LPGA has very intentionally been shoved into the shadows by national outlets.

It's an interesting article but I think it falls well short of insightful.

She of course has the Locust Hill LPGA Championship dichotomy spot on. Which I suppose was the main point.

I think where she misses the points are two fold.

1) Golf Channel may not be network TV but they respect golf for what it is, so when you watch LPGA on GC, you are watching golf, not womens golf. Way fucking better than ESPN.

2) The second point she misses, and I think everyone misses, is the whole Asian, don't speak English mime.

First of all Olga Korbut, and Nadia Comaneci, neither of those girls spoke English either, but we sure as hell know who they are. So, there is a way to show personality, to build celebrity even for those who don't speak English.

3) Annika and Lorena are both fine champions, but Jiyai Shin has more personality in her little pinky than either of those women. Look at the logo she wears. Somebody had to pay for that, the Golden Bear, so somebody understands golf talent, and personality, and that somebody has already placed a bet... Of course it has already paid I'm sure, but if Shin was to become the next big thing in Womens Golf, she has the personality, if GC or the media can't translate that to an audience, it ain't her fault...

PostPosted: 07/02/10 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
What's up with Arkansas? First they get Stacy Lewis, a nominal recruit, who has back surgery and becomes a top player. They drafted a ranked junior player this time, but she was like #39, I think when they signed her and she wins her first AGJA tourney the next week followed shortly by winning the second biggest Amateur you can win in the Public Links.

Oh for fucks sake!

The internet is an interesting place, you just sort of follow the branches of a particular tree and sooner or later something will blow your very individual mind.

Back to the OFFS.

I just checked out Arkansas' golf facilities, maybe somebody else has better, but not by much.

They have a 6 bay heated, air conditioned, practice facility on the driving range. Further they have five separate cameras. So you can be hitting balls in sub freezing weather, then go into the lounge (Hog's Den) and watch video of your shots that day. OFFS.

I learned to play golf by looking at pictures of pros in golf magazines. I read somewhere that Tiger did the same thing. In the house where I lived, in the dining room there was a mirror, there are scars on the ceiling where I made full arch swings and gouged the ceiling, that spray on crap, no real loss Rolling Eyes

Check out the Razorback facility and golf course.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com//pdf5/645058.pdf?SPSID=11717&SPID=688&DB_OEM_ID=6100

I'm old school, so unless I have a letter to a school that has a name that is worth more on your degree than the four years you spent there, I'm going to judge a school on this basis.

The road trip rule. The road trip is the classic way to describe your best school memories. NW Arkansas has some road trip routes. I can testify to that.

When I die, I want to be reincarnated as an incoming freshman recruit at Arkansas.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: