RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

I am beginning to believe the rumors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Men's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyperetic

PostPosted: 10/26/05 8:32 am    ::: I am beginning to believe the rumors Reply Reply with quote

I am beginning to believe the rumors of Pat Riley putting Stan Van Gundy in a no-win situation so that he can replace him as coach. I mean you have a team that goes to the Eastern conference finals and you do a major overhaul?!!! You add mostly seasoned high dollar veterans, all of whom think that they are deserving of the ball in critical situations and major playing time. Not to mention getting rid of one of the best 3 point shooters in the league. Also getting streaky players who have shown time and time again that they are a disruption to their former teams!! How is anyone supposed to take that roster from hell and mold it into a cohesive unit. Yes on paper they are the most kicking ass team in the league but in reality they are getting their asses kicked by the freaking Hornets?!!!!! No disrespect to the Hornets but there is no way that should have happened, even in pre-season.
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 10/26/05 8:37 am    ::: Re: I am beginning to believe the rumors Reply Reply with quote

Yep, Walker is the most interesting addition... But he may just have been singed to trade later, so you never know Idea

hoopladreams

PostPosted: 10/26/05 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic...I definitely agree with you that Pat Riley will replace SVG at some point during this season (that was actually one of my bold NBA predictions) but I doubt if that was the plan ahead of time.

I mean, I think the Heat brought in so many new peices because they just got greedy and wanted to build some kind of super team. They sacrificed chemistry for raw talent.

The reason why I don't think that Riley did this on purpose to drive SVG out is becuase, unless they make all kinds of trades before the trade deadline in February (or whenever it is this year), this is the same team that Riley would have to coach, right? If they fail miserably under SVG, would they really thrive under Riley? Probably not.

Anyway, if Riley really wanted SVG out, he would have just fired him and taken his job. Riley has all the power in the Heat organization. There's no reason for him to go about it in this round-about way of ruining team chemistry by bringing in cancerous personalities.

Someone in the Heat organization thought that bringing in 'Toine, GP, Posey and JWill was a good idea.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 10/26/05 10:06 am    ::: yeah Reply Reply with quote

Yeah I took that into consideration that he would inherit the same team he set up but two things came to mind: Some peoples egos are bigger than their reality. He had been a successful coach for many years in more than one franchise. Why couldn't he pull this motley crew together? Second, he simply waits until the season is practically over and assumes command blaming any failure from that point on what was done before he took over, "an unsalvagable season". SVG had a good season last time. How do you justify replacing a guy who is doing so well for you. You may have the power but the negative press and feedback would be a detriment to your bottom line. Fans like loyalty to those who are doing well for you.
As far as bringing in those guys you mentioned J-Will, Toine, Posey, etc., they all look good on paper don't they? You can make a case for them that way. Ego can make you think you can create chemistry out of nothing.
hoopladreams

PostPosted: 10/26/05 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hear what you're saying, but I always thought that the best excuse that Riley could use as a reason to fire SVG would be to put it on Shaq (with Shaq's blessings, of course) and say that Shaq didn't think that SVG was the right coach to get them over the hump. Are the people of Miami going to stand by SVG or Shaq? My guess is that they'd believe and support Shaq if he said that a different coach (a hall-of-fame coach, no less) was needed to lead them title.

That would be a lot easier than purposefully sabatoging team chemistry and making this a wasted year.

And this line of yours...

hyperetic wrote:
As far as bringing in those guys you mentioned J-Will, Toine, Posey, etc., they all look good on paper don't they? You can make a case for them that way. Ego can make you think you can create chemistry out of nothing.

...hit the nail on the head (in my opinion, of course Smile )

Whatever the reason, I definitely think that Riles will be coaching the Heat at some point during this season.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 10/28/05 3:41 pm    ::: did you see . . . Reply Reply with quote

Did you see Shaq's interview after their merciful win over the short-handed Orlando Magic? Ever the tactful politician, he praised the win but cleverly disguised a comment about the, at times, lack of unity among all those veterans. I am only on the outside looking in but it looks like a tough season ahead for the Heat.
hoopladreams

PostPosted: 10/30/05 8:38 am    ::: Re: did you see . . . Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Did you see Shaq's interview after their merciful win over the short-handed Orlando Magic? Ever the tactful politician, he praised the win but cleverly disguised a comment about the, at times, lack of unity among all those veterans. I am only on the outside looking in but it looks like a tough season ahead for the Heat.

I didn't see the incident that you are talking about, but if Shaq is unhappy and frustrated, then the entire team will be unhappy and frustrated. Shaq is very vocal and will not hesitate to stir things up by making direct or "cleverly disguised" comments in the media. If Shaq gets ticked off, everyone will hear about it and if Shaq wants a new coach, Shaq will get a new coach.

I too expect lots of drama in Miami this season. But then again, we all saw this coming a month ago...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Men's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: