RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Backlash
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StaleyFan

PostPosted: 10/26/05 9:56 am    ::: The Backlash Reply Reply with quote

Ok, now that the news about Swoopes has come about, what do you think will be the backlash from General sports fans and the media. Not trying to offend anybody, so please don't jump on me, but I don't approve of what Swoopes did. Having stated my opinion, Do you think the media will now judge ever single player that has some success and start to question whether or not they are gay or not?

dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/26/05 10:06 am    ::: Re: The Backlash Reply Reply with quote

StaleyFan wrote:
Ok, now that the news about Swoopes has come about, what do you think will be the backlash from General sports fans and the media. Not trying to offend anybody, so please don't jump on me, but I don't approve of what Swoopes did. Having stated my opinion, Do you think the media will now judge ever single player that has some success and start to question whether or not they are gay or not?

Anyone can say anything, the trick is to back it up. So why don't you "approve"?

LakotaStorm

PostPosted: 10/26/05 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why would you disapprove? I think it is a good thing, and the more famous people come out of the closet the better, and then maybe sometime in the not to distant future it won't matter.

Good for Sheryl, I hope others follow her lead!

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 10/26/05 10:14 am    ::: Re: The Backlash Reply Reply with quote

"but I don't approve of what Swoopes did. Having stated my opinion, Do you think the media will now judge ever single player that has some success and start to question whether or not they are gay or not?"[/quote]

Don't you think the media has been judging the league and its players for year anyways? Gee, I hope she is ok with you not approving of her actions. I still haven't gotten over Katie Douglas talking about her engagement and then allowing her wedding pix to be shown publicly. The nerve!!!!

Judy

Go Sun

cherrystreet

PostPosted: 10/26/05 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Swoopes did what she did for the reasons she stated. She was tired of hiding. She wanted to get rid of all her skeletons. I don't have a problem with that. It took alot of guts for her to make that stand. She knows she is a role model and that might take a hit. I thought it was courageous. I always feel each to its own. Its your choice. I agree more with her state of not being born that way. Don't curcify me, board. Even that statement took some "balls" in my opinion.

The timing was perfect for her. She just came off one of the best years in her career. Do I think that made a difference? Yes. I don't believe the media will punish her for it. She is to big right now.

Will it bring more awareness? Yes. Hopefully, more positive press less negative press about everyone in the league being gay. When one of your biggest stars comes out and says - Hey I'm gay and I don't want to hid. That's a benefit, in my opinion. The reporters can't keep saying the players are trying to hide. After your biggest star comes out, it should no longer be a story.

StaleyFan

PostPosted: 10/26/05 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not trying to start a war here. I'm just stating my opinion like you did yours. As far as I go, The Bible speaks against homosexuality, and I certainly believe that. Like I said, that's MY belief, and while I wish and pray more people felt that way, I know better and still have to respect their opinion. As far as the media, I was trying to say what is the backlash going to be in the present that all the haters will be jumping on, such as saying that this league will fail because of it or that they knew everyone in women's basketball was gay. In other words, will they hate this sport even more now?

cherrystreet

PostPosted: 10/26/05 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sheryl is probably going to be getting alot of print. This is bigger than I thought. But, I will stick to my previous statements in this thread. This probably more of what one4thethumb said in the other thread. I hope Genero is wrong because I really don't see this accelerating Swoopes retirement.

Curious

PostPosted: 10/26/05 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StaleyFan wrote:
I'm not trying to start a war here. I'm just stating my opinion like you did yours. As far as I go, The Bible speaks against homosexuality, and I certainly believe that. Like I said, that's MY belief, and while I wish and pray more people felt that way, I know better and still have to respect their opinion.

You know The Bible doesn't say very much about homosexuality at all. Who told you that it did? The Bible actually says more about when it's ok to stone your wife and kids to death than it does about homosexuality. I'd be more than happy to take that up with you in an email conversation or in a thread in Area 51 of this board if you need to. But hey, apostacy has been around for a long time.

caune

PostPosted: 10/26/05 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StaleyFan wrote:
I'm not trying to start a war here. I'm just stating my opinion like you did yours. As far as I go, The Bible speaks against homosexuality, and I certainly believe that. Like I said, that's MY belief, and while I wish and pray more people felt that way, I know better and still have to respect their opinion. As far as the media, I was trying to say what is the backlash going to be in the present that all the haters will be jumping on, such as saying that this league will fail because of it or that they knew everyone in women's basketball was gay. In other words, will they hate this sport even more now?

The bible also says it's OK to own slaves as long as you treat them right Shocked

PostPosted: 10/26/05 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
The bible also says it's OK to own slaves as long as you treat them right Shocked

And that you shouldn't eat shellfish.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 10/26/05 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not a believer, but I do know that the Bible tells about a number of loving same-sex relationships: David and Jonathan, Ruth and Naomi, the Roman centurion and his servant.

hooper1

PostPosted: 10/26/05 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

O.G. wrote:
caune wrote:

And that you shouldn't eat shellfish.

And that women should wear head coverings at all times or be killed.

Where's the post about those rogue women not wearing their head coverings?

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 10/26/05 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

just chiming in here

1) great responses

2) as for the media, I don't think there will be much backlash - it'll get a lot of press (front page of the NYTimes online version), there will be some discussion - thoughtful and stoopid - and then they'll move on to the next blood in the water....

I think it will educate fans who aren't "in the know," and I mean that with all respect. I'm guessing many of us on this board are conversant with the gay life - be it because they are gay or they've worked in environments where gays were comfortable being out. There are a HUNK of people out there who ain't "in the know" - about gay issues, about being gave, about gay lifestyles etc. I'm thinking there are a lot of fans out there going, "but she didn't LOOK gay." If we're lucky, their next thought is, hmmmm, maybe I need to rethink what gay is. If we're smart, we'll address their comments and questions with reasoned responses.

PostPosted: 10/26/05 12:44 pm    ::: Re: The Backlash Reply Reply with quote

StaleyFan wrote:

Well general sports fans will most likely just take note and move on to talking about the World Series or the NFL... It got about 5 sentences on each radio station, sports and news radio, and then everything moved on.

Today was the 1st big rain in San Francisco, so I was stuck in traffic long enough to hear Jim Rome's take on it though. He spent about 10 minutes on it, saying how it would be a bigger deal for a guy to come out, because all the players would say "I wouldn't want to shower with this guy". He went on with the same discussion that the public had when that ex-Green Bay Packers player came out.

After Rome was done, the next caller asked "Yeah, I wonder if Lance Berkman would want to shower with Sheryl Swoopes." Razz And then he went on to talk about baseball. That's probably how gGeneral sports fans will receive the news.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 10/26/05 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Matthew 7:

on judging people - look it up, staleyfan

golden33

PostPosted: 10/26/05 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't have a problem with this, but I am of the opinion that society is far too obsessed with sexuality in general. It shouldn't make any difference in this type of situation.

cometsfan05

PostPosted: 10/26/05 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Im a straight female with two adorable kids and a handsome fiance that I luv so much , and I was surprised at first but like. I told my parents it dont really matter 2 me because it is her decision. She is a grown ass woman she can do whatever she want ,but I think that some parents will not want their daughters to look up to her anymore because she is gay. Which is stupid and I think with her being one of the biggest stars in the WNBA people will question why she said what she said people are people I try not to judge anyone but I wont lie I was in total shock but I think she will lose alot of fans because of this but I hope she does'nt, I mean I dont agree with it but I aplaud her for having the guts to come out

cherrystreet

PostPosted: 10/26/05 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The real backlash may come from free agents that will not want to play with Swoopes. I have to think, however, that most of the players already know.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/26/05 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cherrystreet wrote:
The real backlash may come from free agents that will not want to play with Swoopes. I have to think, however, that most of the players already know.

Hmmm, I don't want to play with the best ever cause now she's publicly said what we've already known. Do you read before you post?

Rothum

PostPosted: 10/26/05 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StaleyFan wrote:

As one who was trained as a minister, and one who has left the church because of its inability to accept and love people the way Jesus teaches, Leviticus also says slavery is ok, touching the skin of a pig rates a hire punishment then homosexuality (I wonder why we put up with those who play football), and that women are to remain silent. Lets not forget shellfish, and the whole mixing of cheese and meat thing. All of which rate the "abomination to the Lord" comment.

Since this is about basketball I suggest we leave religious faith out of the conversation.

Futurama

PostPosted: 10/26/05 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cherrystreet wrote:
The real backlash may come from free agents that will not want to play with Swoopes.

Guess it's a good thing Van did not draft Katie Feenstra last year

dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/26/05 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rothum wrote:
StaleyFan wrote:

As one who was trained as a minister, and one who has left the church because of its inability to accept and love people the way Jesus teaches, Leviticus also says slavery is ok, touching the skin of a pig rates a hire punishment then homosexuality (I wonder why we put up with those who play football), and that women are to remain silent. Lets not forget shellfish, and the whole mixing of cheese and meat thing. All of which rate the "abomination to the Lord" comment.

Since this is about basketball I suggest we leave religious faith out of the conversation.

That's it! No further responses to StaleyFan needed, it can't get better than that! Post of the day!

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 10/26/05 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The real backlash may come from free agents that will not want to play with Swoopes.

Makes me kind of giggle, is a sad sad way.

Agent: The Comets wantcha.

Player: No way I can play with that woman Sheryl.

Agent: Hmmm, you don't want to play with a 3 time gold medalist, 3 time 4mvp, 4 time wnba champion because of who she fell in love with?

Player: Yeah. I said it!

Agent: So, can I assume you don't want to play for ANY team in the wnba?

Player: What do you mean?

Agent: One in ten, baby. One in ten.

PostPosted: 10/26/05 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtms, I am probably the biggest fan of Swoopes on this board. What I meant was that some think there my be an issue with league concerning Swoopes' admission. Some players my shy away from the atmosphere that is sure to come as the season approaches. One would be crazy to not want to play with Swoopes. Just because people know something doesn't mean that they accept it.

I don't know why you became so hostile with me.

bigsportzbabe

PostPosted: 10/26/05 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cherrystreet wrote:

Anyone who has played long enough to become a free agent, has already played with a gaggle of lesbians

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: