RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Davenport Named Big 10 POY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/01/05 12:56 pm    ::: Davenport Named Big 10 POY Reply Reply with quote

Jess wins from both media and coaches

Tanisha Wright Defensive POY for THIRD straight year

Jim Foster COY by Coaches and Joanne McCallie COY by media

Jolene Anderson of Wisconsin FOY

All Big 10 First Team (Coaches or Media):
Davenport (both)
Wright (both)
McCarville (both)
Jess Strom (both)
Kristin Haynie (coaches)
Angelina Williams (media)

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 03/01/05 1:35 pm    ::: Re: Davenport Named Big 10 POY Reply Reply with quote

I think the coaches got it just about exactly right.

On the media ballot, I can't understand why Strom and Williams are ahead of Haynie. Nor can I understand what media idiot wouldn't put either McCarville or Wright on the first team.

Still, a fair result. And kind of nice to have the COY award split.

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/01/05 4:11 pm    ::: Re: Davenport Named Big 10 POY Reply Reply with quote

McCarville got hosed. Minnesota would be below .500 without her, and she is the best center in the nation by far.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/01/05 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Head to head, Davneport destroyed McCarville. Janel is MVP of her team, but Davenport is the best player on the top-ranked team. Remember Janon Roland? She got MVP over Katie Smith, even though Smith was in a McCarville-like situation.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 03/01/05 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jessica Davenport deserved the award over Janel McCarville. I really can't argue with those selections.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 03/01/05 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McCarville is my favorite player; I would have voted for Davenport for POY.

It's a reasonable debate. McCarville leads her team in all five major states -- points, boards, assists, steals, and blocks. That's pretty amazing. She is an more of an all-court, all-around player, whereas Dav is more of a pure, dominant post. Dav has more points, better FG%, and more blocks; Janel has more boards, more assists, more steals. Sort of depends on what you value as to where you give the vote.

Also, you could say that Janel is the leader of her team, and Dav isn't the leader of her team. That's a standard favor-the-senior argument... (but is it really true in this case?)

I don't really buy Cam's argument that Dav beat up Janel so therefore Dav wins. First, it's just one game. Second, they aren't really the same position -- the fact that you can't defend someone 3-4 inches taller than you doesn't say much. It's sort of like if MN played K-State and they put Wecker (a small forward) to defend McCarville (a power forward) in the low post. Janel would have 3 or so inches and would probably eat her up. But you wouldn't therefore say: Janel destroyed Wecker so therefore she gets POY.

Instead, I give it to Dav for three reasons.

(1) Much as I love all-court play, post dominance is probably the most powerful thing you can have in basketball (Shaq, Wilt, Russell). It can be boring, but it wins games.

(2) Dav came up really big in all of the biggest games, especially down the stretch -- against MN, MSU, and PSU.

(3) OSU is tied for first, while MN is in fourth, and team success is ultimately what basketball is all about.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/01/05 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
OSU is tied for first, while MN is in fourth, and team success is ultimately what basketball is all about.

Again, see my Janon Roland-Katie Smith comparison.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/01/05 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can't argue Davenport.

I'd like to see how she plays on offense and defense against a talented player her height.

Russell wasn't much of a power in halfcourt offense. He shot bricks beyond layup range, and is the fourth worst foul shooter in NBA history. OTOH, he was dominant in transition offense, on defense, and on the boards.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 03/02/05 1:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McCarville on Dav winning B10 POY:

"She definitely deserved it. Several players had a legitimate chance, but she finished the year strong."

http://www.startribune.com/stories/512/5267994.html

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/02/05 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

it's POY, not MVP.

davenport deserved it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: