RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Rosa Parks Dead At 92

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MT_Swoopes

PostPosted: 10/24/05 9:06 pm    ::: Rosa Parks Dead At 92 Reply Reply with quote

R.I.P

Slovydal

PostPosted: 10/24/05 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bush should declare a National Day of Mourning, or something but I won't hold my breath...

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 10/24/05 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

May she rest in peace. A true icon who represented such a monumental time in United States history.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 10/24/05 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Absolutely great woman. Monumental legacy. Sad to see these icons pass on.

PostPosted: 10/24/05 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Her courageous personality made her an icon in American history. She is a woman who will be dearly missed but never forgotten. May Rosa Parks RIP. Crying or Very sad

Mathies to LA 2013
Sass

PostPosted: 10/24/05 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I always thought Rosa was the shit until she sued Outkast for naming a song after her.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
sambista

PostPosted: 10/25/05 6:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Absolutely great woman. Monumental legacy. Sad to see these icons pass on.

sadder to know that too many young people just don't get it, sometimes through no fault of their own.

PostPosted: 10/25/05 7:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just searched Google News for "Rosa Parks" and got 1,440 hits. Then I added "Highlander Folk School"and got only five. Rosa Parks didn't just sit down one day in the white section of a bus because she was tired. She was an activist, chosen and trained for her mission. And a hero.

Quote:
A Hero Passes On
by Jeff Langstraat

Rose Parks died today. She was 92.

Rosa Parks is an American hero. One of the reasons I love her story is this--it shows that lifetime dedicated to creating change can have an impact. Rosa Parks was more than an old woman who was too tired to give up her seat. Rosa Parks was an activist. She was the youth secretary for the local NAACP. She had gone to the Highlander Folk School for training in non-violent resistance. She had run into trouble on the buses before that fateful encounter of 1955.

Organizers in Montgomery were looking for a case to use to spur a boycott of the segregated buses. Such an approach had been succesful in Baton Rouge, and NAACP leaders in the two communities were in contact with each other, discussing strategies for attacking Jim Crow. The first woman who was going to be used as a symbolic spark for the Montgomery boycott turned out to be problematic in terms of public relations, so the boycott was put off until Mrs. Parks engaged in her now-famous act of civil disobedience. The initially planned one-day boycott lasted for over a year. Rosa Parks became the symbol for a movement.

When we discuss Mrs. Parks and her role in the movement, much of this background, much of her background, is left out. She is transformed from a community activist working for years to dismantle an unjust system to a person who one day just got fed up with the indignity. I like the other story better. Rosa Parks is someone who took not just one small action, but who devoted large parts of her life to challenging American apartheid. That is a life worth emulating.

During the Montgomery boycott's, a seventy-year old woman was quoted as saying, "My feet is tired, but my soul is rested." May your soul find rest, Mrs. Parks. You've earned it. http://www.culturekitchen.com/archives/003522.html

pilight

PostPosted: 10/25/05 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rosa Parks encapsulates something that womens_hoops was trying to say the other day about the relative importance of lawyers, judges, and politicians. Her impact on our society is far greater than that of the president, congresspersons, and supreme court justices that were serving when she said "no".

PostPosted: 10/25/05 11:07 am    ::: RIP Reply Reply with quote

Having been blessed to have the opportunity meet her in person on the campus at the University of Arkansas, I was struck by what a wonderful down to earth woman she was. (Reminded me a lot of my grandmother). And I am a little ashamed to say at the time of our meeting I didn't know who she was or what she had done. My education on the civil rights movement at that point was very limited. Just meeting her once I was inspired to create a work of art in her honor. I was never able to get it to her but I still hold on to it.
sambista

PostPosted: 10/26/05 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i swear i don't work for this company, but check this out, while it's still there:

http://www.apple.com/

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: