RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Grade IV mixed comp - Game 1 - 61-35 loss

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keegan

PostPosted: 02/22/05 5:06 am    ::: Grade IV mixed comp - Game 1 - 61-35 loss Reply Reply with quote

Somebody was advertising for low grade social players on Ozhoops the other day (or as they put it "crappy players" Twisted Evil ) and I thought "why not?" After all it's only been two and a half years since I've actually shot hoops and I'm starting to get the itch again.

So after a shootaround today, I'm now playing in a Grade 4 mixed comp on Tuesday nights, at some courts a stone's throw away from the Harbour Bridge and Opera House.

If I was to describe my game, it would be a cross between Debbie Black and D-Nasty. Hey, I never said it was pretty Wink

Anybody else play in a basketball comp here and which WNBA players does your game resemble?

I've forgotten how tiring basketball is *puffs and wheezes*. I also have to stop overcompensating on my jumpshot - way too many shots rimmed out today.

Last edited by Keegan on 03/01/05 5:29 am; edited 1 time in total
BCBG25

PostPosted: 02/22/05 8:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I play mostly against guys, not in an organized competition. Mostly co-workers and friends I went to college with.
Back in the day when I thought I was good lol, I was a slasher with 3-point range, a decent defender and a very good shot-blocker (always my favorite play). A few years later, after an ACL and chronic plantar fascitis, I went from Tamika Catchings to Crystal Robinson lol...I rarely drive to the basket and mostly settle for 3-pointers and jumpers, but I've gotten better at it too. Obviously, playing against guys is a different setting, as I would have my shot blocked a lot more, so it all depends...if I'm playing against girls, I tend to take it to the hoop more often.

PostPosted: 02/22/05 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

this is interesting. sue wicks has been threatening to have an adult camp for years, and i would do it in a heart beat. as for any longer-term commitments... i would really love it, but there's no time in my life. zero.

i played in jr. high until my cross-country/track coach ripped me out and made me run indoor track. a couple years of irresponsible training w/ the boys, and my body was a heap of chronic injuries.

i was thinking, though, that at the time i was in HS, track and tennis were really the only sports for girls that seemed to have a clear future. i had no aptitude for tennis, but i dreamed of running in penn relays and going on to the olympics. if the w had been around back then, i surely would have had different dreams, and that would have changed everything -- the injuries, the pressure... everything. it would have made a big difference in my life.

PostPosted: 02/22/05 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been playing since I was 12 because, before the W, we had one of the best leagues around (even Coop was playing here). The main difference is that there is no NCAA. College ball is pretty weak compared to junior teams the professional clubs have. I think Russia has a similar system. Anyway, I played volleyball and also some events in track & field. I was always the female jock and I still love sports, so I still play basketball and tennis (and soccer eventually).

PostPosted: 02/22/05 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

herrade wrote:
a couple years of irresponsible training w/ the boys, and my body was a heap of chronic injuries.

speaking of...

Doctors See a Big Rise in Injuries for Young Athletes
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/22/sports/othersports/22overuse.html?ex=1266814800&en=ced47da7c3bc6f42&ei=5089&partner=rssyahoo

PostPosted: 02/22/05 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
(or as they put it "crappy players")

Tell Hellcat to get some of the Perth players there...

mb

PostPosted: 02/22/05 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unable to resist taking this out of context:

Quote:
...playing in a Grade 4 mixed comp...

It does not suprise me that Keegan is playing with 4th graders. Wink Twisted Evil

Have fun and don't over do it Keegs...you must be healthy in August.

My skills have diminished greatly, and the ACL/MCL slowed things down.

Did a weak, LL-esque type dunk on a nine and a half foot rim recently.
Dropping twenty pounds (sorry Majerle's) helped...twenty more to go.

My favorite basketball play is a great assist, hence the love for Diana, Vealy, and the Ticha of old.

My post player, in a recent two on two competition, made me look pretty good. It was casual, yet we took the title.

Those who can't (anymore) teach...

My hope is to someday do great coaching work similar to that of Dani's father.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/22/05 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Unable to resist taking this out of context:

Quote:
...playing in a Grade 4 mixed comp...

It does not suprise me that Keegan is playing with 4th graders.

Ah, mb, it tool all of my restraint from turning Keegs' post into how he can play in the league with my Sparks team of 4th graders too!

Ballwinner

PostPosted: 02/22/05 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This upcoming Sunday, my team plays for the championship of my university's intramural basketball. I most mirror Rebecca Lobo, because even though I haven't, I run as though I've twice torn an ACL and had a baby less than three months ago. And like Lobo, I am still a fan favorite despite my slowing "speed" Very Happy

The nice thing about playing co-ed is that any missed shot can be blamed on the 30" ball. I also have decent height and against any better judgement, am willng to give/take bumps, earning the note of being good "for a girl." As I now search for a job, one friend is trying to get me to work at where he does so I can join his team in the company's league.

PostPosted: 02/22/05 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm a bit sore this morning but not as sore as I have been in the past (go better fitness).

I'm going to have to work on my pull-up jumper. I only hit the ground twice last so I think I'm going to have to hustle more as well Wink My favourite basket was a very dodgy looking baby hook, surrounded by three defenders.
sportsfan48

PostPosted: 02/23/05 2:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb is being modest. He was the winner of the 1st Annual Brigage & Friends Phi Slamma Jamma Ramma Lamma Ding Dong 2 on 2 Basketball Tournament.

I can say that I played a little during the unofficial, yet official (and only) practice for the aboved mentioned event.

Those of us who were able to see Keegan "live" this past summer all know that he keeps in shape by jumping up and down when a favorite player or coach is nearby. Laughing

Keegan

PostPosted: 03/01/05 5:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A couple of things were working against us from the start. Firstly, a couple of their guys looked very dubious - they must have poor arithmetic skills (typical of jocks). This is GRADE FOUR basketball, not grade one or two Rolling Eyes Secondly, only two of our girls rocked up so they had to play the whole game. They were pretty tired by the end of it.

Our defense let us down. We didn't communicate and there were soooo many gaps in the zone. I'll give their girls some credit - they may have made Summer Erb look like a fine physical specimen but they could hit their open jumpshots. It was only our first game together so I think this will improve and our D was better in the second half. We have to put more on-ball pressure and make them work for their shots, instead of letting them shoot open 17 footers. Our O was ok and only thing really wrong with it was some rather audacious entry passes which didn't come off.

I had a rather shitty game. Hey, it was my first proper game of basketball since high school (i.e first proper game this millennium!). I have to improve my fitness and rediscover the D-Nasty/Debbie Black in me Twisted Evil I only had one foul the whole game and didn't even hit the deck once. I also should demand the ball more assertively when free in the block and stop throwing up dodgy floaters and soft putbacks.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/01/05 6:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I play for the Latino Heeeat basketball team here in Perth.
Latino Heeeat Homepage

We suck so bad that they created a new division - 5th division - for us to play in this season.
(There used to be only 4).
Out of 5 teams in this new division, we are in danger of missing the semi finals this season Embarassed

My game? Hmmm... officially I ("Eduardo") am a shooting guard. My scoring tally is generally a multiple of 3 as I am afraid of paint.
Good defender, horrible ball-handler, extremely un-athletic and a hopeless rebounder. I don't know who that makes me in WNBA terms, but I'm thinking nobody, as even the worst WNBA players bring some kind of skills to the table Wink
It's all good fun though. Smile

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: