RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dress code
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Men's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyperetic

PostPosted: 10/14/05 3:27 pm    ::: Dress code Reply Reply with quote

The NBA markets to the "young and hip" young and hip-type stuff. The same products with which they try to wrench the very last cent out of their fan base with are going to be ruled a violation if worn by their players on the sidelines and at team functions etc etc. Hypocritical much?
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 10/14/05 3:37 pm    ::: Re: Dress code Reply Reply with quote

Indeed... Idea On the sidelines, I think a suit is a nice idea, but it's unnecessary at all team functions.

And it's too inflexible. Imagine a player going to visit children in a hospital wearing a $10,000 suit...

hoopladreams

PostPosted: 10/14/05 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree 100% with both of you Smile

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 10/17/05 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm the fence dweller. On the one hand, I blame the NBA for this mess. If they didn't want to cater to a younger hip-hop audience, they should've said so from the get-go. Don't let NBA players put out rap CDs. Don't allow Jay-Z, Luda, Nelly, Kanye West, etc. put the names of NBA players in their songs or allow them to perform during NBA events such as All-Star Weekend. Don't allow rappers to (partially) own NBA teams (ahem Nelly, Jigga, etc.). Don't allow rap artists to wear NBA players' jerseys.

On the other hand, the players should take it upon themselves to dress accordingly in a place of business. These are grown ass men (18+ years old) we're dealing with...NOT little boys. It's not appropriate for a physician to wear du rags and Timbs when he's on rounds. Likewise, it's inappropriate for female attorneys to wear hoochie shorts and a wife beater when they're in the courtroom. Thus, when one is "on the clock" so to speak, he or she must dress accordingly. When you're on the court, you must wear a uniform. When you're on IR, you're still a part of the team AND, as a professional, you should uphold professionalism at all costs. You wouldn't wear a t-shirt and jeans on the court (and neither would your coach), so don't wear them at the games. Dressing business casual on the sidelines won't hurt these guys. Good gotdamn grief.

Now, requiring the players to dress business casual at community service events is a bit much, Mr. Stern.

Mathies to LA 2013
dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/17/05 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Article today on ESPN.com says Stern says they are overreacting.

And as I put in Area 51, my CT compadre Marcus Camby shut the hell up!

"We should get a stipend to buy suits". Sit your $8 million ass in a freaking mall and go buy a suit for when you're injured another 50 times per season.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 10/17/05 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OMG! Shocked When I heard about Marcus Camby's comment, I had to spit out my Coke and shake my head. Damn! Do they pay people to say stupid shit? Rolling Eyes

Imagine a doctor going to the chief of his department demanding a "clothing stipend". Marcus, get the f*$@ outta here with that mess! Evil or Very Mad

Mathies to LA 2013
hoopladreams

PostPosted: 10/18/05 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The NBA dress code has finally be finalized. Here's an article detailing exactly what is appropriate and what isn't...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Atq5uU7QIZh4Y0GTc3dFaBY5nYcB?slug=nbadresscode&prov=st&type=lgns

Quote:
According to a memo released Monday, the NBA is moving halfway from hip-hop to haute couture, implementing a "business casual" dress code that bans much of the sportswear favored by its players.

The memo goes into effect November 1 - Opening Night - and bans sleeveless shirts, T-shirts, shorts, sports apparel, headgear, displayed jewelry, sunglasses, headphones, sneakers, sandals and work boots. In most cases, it does not require a sport coat and never requires a tie...

Players at games but not in uniform must also wear a sport coat. Teams are permitted to make their dress codes more formal.

That's not too bad.

Quote:
"Dress jeans" are acceptable, although the memo did not indicate what qualifies as "dress jeans."

Does anyone know what "dress jeans" are or what could be considered "dress jeans." I know for women, dress jeans could be considered designer jeans, but all men's jeans look the same. I'm completely clueless as to what this could mean.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/18/05 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

business casual!

They got themselves so worked up over a pair of freaking chinos!

If ever there was conclusive proof the NBA players need to grow the f- up, this is it!

pilight

PostPosted: 10/18/05 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopladreams wrote:
Quote:
"Dress jeans" are acceptable, although the memo did not indicate what qualifies as "dress jeans."

Does anyone know what "dress jeans" are or what could be considered "dress jeans." I know for women, dress jeans could be considered designer jeans, but all men's jeans look the same. I'm completely clueless as to what this could mean.

No holes, no fading, no "chaw rings", no bagging or sagging, not too tight, and long enough to cover the ankles. Often accompanied by the words "no blue denim".

PostPosted: 10/18/05 2:55 pm    ::: another thought Reply Reply with quote

Here's another thought. Lets put the shoe on the other foot for a second. Do you think if NBA management was forced to wear baggy, sagging jeans, throwback jerseys, all manner of bling and bandanas, do you think they would balk at the rule or head straight to the nearest hip hop clothing store without a peep?
harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 10/18/05 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The players are overreacting and the league is fibbing through its teeth. What the players won't say is that you could not play for certain teams long before the dress code was even an issue. For starters, Isiah Thomas and Nate McMillan weren't having it and immediately implemented a dress code everywhere they went. This was made clear to any potential free agent or traded player upon arrival.

Some players like Shaquille O'Neal, Charles Oakley, Kevin Willis and Alonzo Mourning were notorious for criticizing players on their teams who didn't wear suits to the point where guys caved in to the peer pressure.

Pat Riley's old Knicks and Lakers had harsher dress codes than this one. Not to mention Pat would bench you if you didn't comply whereas the league will simply hand down fines these guys will pay in their sleep. They'll eat the fines for as many games as they want just like Jordan did when the league banned his sneakers.

What the league won't say is that it is all about image. It always has been since the day Jordan became an influence on entire economies and David Stern's eyes turned green. The league doesn't give a damn about looking professional for the fans. This is not about the fans preferences or the players' right to express themselves. It never is with the NBA. This is about sponsorship dollars which were going elsewhere because of the disconnect between the players and the NBA's partners. Ratings went down, thus an increase in corporate "moral standards" and a decrease in sponsorships and ad revenue. The NBA is protecting its business interests.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/18/05 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

harlem_basketball wrote:
The players are overreacting and the league is fibbing through its teeth. What the players won't say is that you could not play for certain teams long before the dress code was even an issue. For starters, Isiah Thomas and Nate McMillan weren't having it and immediately implemented a dress code everywhere they went. This was made clear to any potential free agent or traded player upon arrival.

Some players like Shaquille O'Neal, Charles Oakley, Kevin Willis and Alonzo Mourning were notorious for criticizing players on their teams who didn't wear suits to the point where guys caved in to the peer pressure.

Pat Riley's old Knicks and Lakers had harsher dress codes than this one. Not to mention Pat would bench you if you didn't comply whereas the league will simply hand down fines these guys will pay in their sleep. They'll eat the fines for as many games as they want just like Jordan did when the league banned his sneakers.

What the league won't say is that it is all about image. It always has been since the day Jordan became an influence on entire economies and David Stern's eyes turned green. The league doesn't give a damn about looking professional for the fans. This is not about the fans preferences or the players' right to express themselves. It never is with the NBA. This is about sponsorship dollars which were going elsewhere because of the disconnect between the players and the NBA's partners. Ratings went down, thus an increase in corporate "moral standards" and a decrease in sponsorships and ad revenue. The NBA is protecting its business interests.

Extremely well put.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 10/18/05 6:06 pm    ::: Re: another thought Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Here's another thought. Lets put the shoe on the other foot for a second. Do you think if NBA management was forced to wear baggy, sagging jeans, throwback jerseys, all manner of bling and bandanas, do you think they would balk at the rule or head straight to the nearest hip hop clothing store without a peep?

I think all the players should protest by wearing tuxedos to the games... Idea Kind of like what Detlef Schempf wore to draft day Razz "And Detlef's going to the dance!"

Quote:
"We don't know where the cut-off is, maybe if you earn less than $8 million, you'll get a scholarship from the commissioner," Stern said.

RM619

PostPosted: 10/19/05 9:09 am    ::: Re: another thought Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

I think all the players should protest by wearing tuxedos to the games... Idea Kind of like what Detlef Schempf wore to draft day Razz "And Detlef's going to the dance!"

Quote:
"We don't know where the cut-off is, maybe if you earn less than $8 million, you'll get a scholarship from the commissioner," Stern said.

Latest article on the dress code, from Fox Sports

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5003470

hyperetic

PostPosted: 10/19/05 12:27 pm    ::: Here's something I found. . . Reply Reply with quote

Here's a little bit of info that I found.

Quote:
"InsideHoops.com polled the national NBA fan base and asked: As a fan who watches players enter/leave the arena, do TV interviews, etc., what do you want to see the players wear? Final results of over 1,000 votes: 29% voted for "Shirt and tie, suits, etc." and 71% voted for "Whatever style the player chooses." So, clearly, NBA fans in general are not in favor of the new NBA dress code." InsideHoops.com
dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/19/05 12:30 pm    ::: Re: Here's something I found. . . Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:

Quote:
"InsideHoops.com polled the national NBA fan base and asked: As a fan who watches players enter/leave the arena, do TV interviews, etc., what do you want to see the players wear? Final results of over 1,000 votes: 29% voted for "Shirt and tie, suits, etc." and 71% voted for "Whatever style the player chooses." So, clearly, NBA fans in general are not in favor of the new NBA dress code." InsideHoops.com

That's who goes to insidehoops.com. Now ask the average age and annual income. I would think it's not the corporate sponsors Stern is trying to get to.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 10/19/05 12:31 pm    ::: All good points Reply Reply with quote

All good points, but is it fair, a case of whoever controls the money makes the rules?
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 10/19/05 12:36 pm    ::: Re: Here's something I found. . . Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:

Quote:

Indeed Exclamation It's also fun to see all the trends too, especially over the years as they change... It also helps with the shopping, at least for me. When I was in Vegas, I picked up something that I remembered Rashard Lewis wearing to one of the Sonics games. Idea I still say that everybody should protest by wearing a tuxedo to the games... Razz

hyperetic wrote:
All good points, but is it fair, a case of whoever controls the money makes the rules?

Well one thing's for sure... I imagine that sales of jerseys on NBA.com will go down...

dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/19/05 12:48 pm    ::: Re: All good points Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:

absolutely it's whoever controls the money makes the rules. No question, but I ask you, when isn't it when it comes to pro sports?

The athletes want to make big bucks. The big bucks come from attendance and corporate sponsorships. They've got attendance, now Stern wants to work on the sponsorships. You want to take the money, you play by the man's rules. End of story.

And fairness never enters into it; especially when you're dealing with adults making $8 million per year.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 10/19/05 12:52 pm    ::: Re: All good points Reply Reply with quote

I'm imagining LeBron James advertising Gatorade 'Flava 23' in a suit and tie right now.... Yeah, it might work...Razz

dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/19/05 12:59 pm    ::: Re: All good points Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
I'm imagining LeBron James advertising Gatorade 'Flava 23' in a suit and tie right now.... Yeah, it might work...Razz

And I'm imagining LeBron James showing up at a board meeting of Nike shareholders wearing shorts and a t-shirt with no sleeves.

They aren't asking them to wear suits in commercials, but they are asking to look "business oriented" when they are in the public eye at an event. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Stephen Jackson, on the other hand, may be onto something. I've seenAfrican Americans wearing a nice decorative gold chain with a shirt and tie.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 10/19/05 1:37 pm    ::: Re: All good points Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:

And I'm imagining LeBron James showing up at a board meeting of Nike shareholders wearing shorts and a t-shirt with no sleeves.

They aren't asking them to wear suits in commercials, but they are asking to look "business oriented" when they are in the public eye at an event. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Well 'whoever controls the money makes the rules'... Razz Same reason why my guy Paul Allen doesn't wear a tie to his board meetings, and Bill Gates even moreso... he's usually wearing a polo and slacks. Idea

dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/19/05 1:48 pm    ::: Re: All good points Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
Well 'whoever controls the money makes the rules'... Razz Same reason why my guy Paul Allen doesn't wear a tie to his board meetings, and Bill Gates even moreso... he's usually wearing a polo and slacks. Idea

which is considered business casual; so what's your point here?

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 10/19/05 1:59 pm    ::: Re: All good points Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:

which is considered business casual; so what's your point here?

That it's not a suit and tie... Idea It's whatever the person who controls the money chooses to wear. Steve Jobs is even more casual.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/19/05 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

and the league isn't requiring shirt and tie; business casual, with a jacket only on the bench.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Men's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: