RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Alepp! Saw a GREAT Volleyball Team today...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/16/05 6:01 pm    ::: Alepp! Saw a GREAT Volleyball Team today... Reply Reply with quote

Nebraska vs Texas was on. Saw the #1 ranked Huskers. WOW is all I can say. What a team. What power, what agility. I was very impressed.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 10/16/05 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just how popular is volleyball in the US?
Here it is insanely popular. I mean that as in only second to soccer popular.
Both the men's and women's teams have been in the top 3 teams in the world for a couple of decades now. The men are the reigning olympic gold medal winners and world champs.
I enjoy watching, but didn't really enjoy playing. Or should I say practicing. Damn, I was in pain for months after my first practice of the season. It's harder for women to do that roll over your arm thing, but I still play for fun.

PostPosted: 10/16/05 10:35 pm    ::: Mizzou-RAH!!! Reply Reply with quote

The Nebraska at Missouri match destroyed the previous attendance record. I watched part of it on tv, and the crowd was rockin'. Very Happy

http://mutigers.collegesports.com/sports/w-volley/recaps/100505aaa.html

PostPosted: 10/17/05 8:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Just how popular is volleyball in the US?
Here it is insanely popular. I mean that as in only second to soccer popular.
Both the men's and women's teams have been in the top 3 teams in the world for a couple of decades now. The men are the reigning olympic gold medal winners and world champs.
I enjoy watching, but didn't really enjoy playing. Or should I say practicing. Damn, I was in pain for months after my first practice of the season. It's harder for women to do that roll over your arm thing, but I still play for fun.

growing, but still very much a niche sport.

thatGAgirl

PostPosted: 10/17/05 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I caught Penn St. vs Michigan. Penn St has a tough squad as well! I love watching volleyball.

- Diana Taurasi
boilerjay

PostPosted: 10/17/05 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm quickly becoming a huge fan of the sport. I guess it always helps when your school has a good team.

Purdue knocked off No. 9 Minnesota on Friday night in four games.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 10/17/05 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The past few years I've become a fan of volleyball. I always watched the Olympic Volleyball, but now I catch myself watching the college games as well. The crowds really get into it!!

gopher5

PostPosted: 10/17/05 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boilerjay wrote:
I'm quickly becoming a huge fan of the sport. I guess it always helps when your school has a good team.

It sounded like Purdue played great in their win against the Gophers. I plan on going to the re-match Thanksgiving weekend in Minneapolis.

I finally went to my first volleyball match in person last season and really enjoyed it (like BBallFanCT729 I watched the Olympics and the few collegiate matches that have been on on TV).

I still have a lot to learn about the game, but I love going. I recommend anyone who gets a chance (on TV or in person), to watch the Gophers libero, Paula Gentil. She just amazes me with her digs. She is a senior and will be tough to replace.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/17/05 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boilerjay wrote:

Purdue's success this year has also made me more interested in the sport. The great thing is that are team starts all freshmen and sophomores -- or at least did at the match I went too. The win over Minnesota was the first regular season win over a Top 10 opponent in 15 years.

bullsky

PostPosted: 10/17/05 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Illinois is having a rough season(lots of injuries) but I always root for Big Ten.

PostPosted: 10/17/05 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
boilerjay wrote:

Purdue's success this year has also made me more interested in the sport. The great thing is that are team starts all freshmen and sophomores -- or at least did at the match I went too. The win over Minnesota was the first regular season win over a Top 10 opponent in 15 years.

The job that Dave Shondell has done at Purdue in such a short time is absolutely amazing! He brought in the No.6 rated recruiting class this past season and has committments from the No. 11, No. 37 & No. 57 rated players from the Class of 2006.

Purdue is going to be a GREAT team in the very near future!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: