RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Polio strikes four Amish children in Minnesota

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carol Anne

PostPosted: 10/14/05 7:28 am    ::: Polio strikes four Amish children in Minnesota Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Star-Tribune: State health officials have tracked four cases of polio infection to a Todd County Amish community, where a long-standing mistrust of vaccines could dampen efforts to contain the outbreak.

State epidemiologist Dr. Harry Hull announced Thursday that three more cases have been confirmed, though none of the children has polio symptoms. Hull said the new cases were linked to a baby whose polio infection was made public two weeks ago.

State officials also revealed that all of the cases occurred in an Amish community in central Minnesota.

Because many Amish do not get vaccinated, their communities are susceptible to disease outbreaks, including a 1979 polio outbreak that sickened 15 unvaccinated people in four states.

In an effort to limit the spread of the polio virus among the Minnesota Amish, Hull two weeks ago visited the affected community, located near the towns of Browerville and Clarissa, according to a community member who asked to be identified only as Eli.

Eli said that vaccines were just as scary as polio. He's not sure if he will allow his 10 children to receive the vaccine, which he fears could itself cause polio infection.

"We are leaving it with God, and we are watching it very carefully," said Eli, who did not know Thursday that the polio virus had been diagnosed in three more community members until a reporter told him.

It is common for people with polio infections not to have symptoms. Hull said that only 1 out of 200 infected people progresses to the disease, which can cause total paralysis. http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/5667098.html via The Rachel Maddow Show http://shows.airamericaradio.com/maddow/node

I had a mild case of polio at the age of five, before the vaccine was developed. I'm appalled that any parents choose to not vaccinate their children.

sbjules

PostPosted: 10/14/05 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I had a mild case of polio at the age of five, before the vaccine was developed. I'm appalled that any parents choose to not vaccinate their children.

My older brother had polio before I was born & before vaccine. Salk was considered a real hero in my family & I remember how exciting it was to be vaccinated. I don't understand non-vaccination either.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: