RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Gillom Will Likely Be Named LA Sparks Coach
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FS02

PostPosted: 12/06/09 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought Gillom made some rookie mistakes too.

But then so did Corey Gaines in his first year, and we all know what kind of job he did the second year.

I'm thinking maybe Minnesota could find someone better, but it sucks to always be changing coaches. There's no continuity and the players don't know the system early in the season.

MNfan22

PostPosted: 12/06/09 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mr. Green

PostPosted: 12/06/09 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shock6666 wrote:
Hmm what about Coach Reeve to Minny?

I could see that happening...

SuziQ

PostPosted: 12/06/09 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mandih23 wrote:
Confused ... Uh, does she know realize the terrible situation that she will be putting Mercury fans in? Not nice to do that to us, we will definetely need a new voice if we must continue to hear the Might Mercury chant, although it would be somewhat fun to hear the voice of head coach of the Sparks blaring through USAC saying MIGHTY MERCURY! Laughing

--------
Yeah. AND we all remember Jen leaving us to play her last year in that place. Frankly, I had no problem wishing her well in Minny. But working with Candy, et al? Not so much.

And Minny fans, just because Jen said she was "grateful" to the LFO doesn't mean they returned the emotion to her come signing time. I reserve comment about her reasoning until we have an inkling of WHY.

PostPosted: 12/06/09 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Sparks are always good for a surprise coaching hire.

Gillom would become the first to coach a team she formerly played for. Nancy Lieberman did it the other way around, playing for a team she formerly coached.

PostPosted: 12/06/09 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The Sparks are always good for a surprise coaching hire.

Gillom would become the first to coach a team she formerly played for. Nancy Lieberman did it the other way around, playing for a team she formerly coached.

Head coach, that is. Exhibit A, Pettis, Bridget.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 12/07/09 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting nugget dropped about the Monarchs. I wonder if Jayda meant to say dispersal instead of expansion draft. I guess a dispersal mock draft posting thread can now start.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/womenshoopsblog/index.html

Quote:
Very reliable sources said the WNBA was unable to secure new ownership for Sacramento, so that team will dissolve and there will be an expansion draft.

abontorab9

PostPosted: 12/07/09 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
Interesting nugget dropped about the Monarchs. I wonder if Jayda meant to say dispersal instead of expansion draft. I guess a dispersal mock draft posting thread can now start.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/womenshoopsblog/index.html

Quote:
Very reliable sources said the WNBA was unable to secure new ownership for Sacramento, so that team will dissolve and there will be an expansion draft.

They'll probably announce that later today and hold the dispersal draft tomorrow, if history proves consistent.

caune

PostPosted: 12/07/09 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm all for Jenn in LA.
She could actually get some respect there unlike some of the treatment she has received in Minny. She stepped into an really tough spot, and it got tougher with Simone going down. She did what she could.

In LA there is a more mature team who will listen to a Coach who's been there.

Champion Tipster

PostPosted: 12/07/09 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
I'm all for Jenn in LA.
She could actually get some respect there unlike some of the treatment she has received in Minny. She stepped into an really tough spot, and it got tougher with Simone going down. She did what she could.

And you know all about how she was treated in MN how?

PostPosted: 12/07/09 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MuneravenMN wrote:
caune wrote:
I'm all for Jenn in LA.

I was wondering that myself. An unexpected promotion is disrespectful?

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/07/09 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DTP wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:
It's hard to judge a coach when they lose the team's superstar so early in the season, but Gillom didn't impress me in the games I watched.
My uneducated guess is that this is LA's loss and Minny's gain. Both could do a lot better and I hope Minny indeed finds a coach to bring together all their talent.

She didn't really impress me much either, honestly.

Me too re: Gillom even without their superstar.... you gotta love the woman but she hasn't yet shown herself to be a great coach.

Were I a Minny fan, I would be excited if they got Reeve, so maybe it all works out for the best. (even though we haven't yet seen Reeve in that head coach spot either)

- Amanda Gorman
sportsfan48

PostPosted: 12/07/09 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
MuneravenMN wrote:
caune wrote:
I'm all for Jenn in LA.

I was wondering that myself. An unexpected promotion is disrespectful?

I am not totally sure what Cuane meant either but the fact that Gillom is free to even be considered for another coaching job says volumes to me about how much respect Jen has in Minny (not talking fans).

If the Lynx front office wanted Gillom to be their coach they should have signed and sealed the deal before the season ended. Maybe they didn't think she would have an other options or that she wouldn't consider any other options. That really doesn't matter. By ending the season without securing her as their coach for the next one, IMO the Lynx were sending a message that Jen is not what they really want.

If it is a matter of Jenn asking more than Minny wants to give, again IMO the issue is respect. I really can't see Jenn asking Minny for more than she would be asking from LA. And if LA is interested, then someone is showing confidence (i.e. respect) in her.

Of course, it was rumored that the last time Jenn went to LA (as a player) she went for less than she was offered from her other team. Wink Rolling Eyes Laughing And of course, we all know how well that turned out for her. I hope this is not a case of history repeating itself.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 12/07/09 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sportsfan48 wrote:
By ending the season without securing her as their coach for the next one, IMO the Lynx were sending a message that Jen is not what they really want.

If it is a matter of Jenn asking more than Minny wants to give, again IMO the issue is respect.

So if she was asking them more than what they thought her job was worth and they didn't want to re-sign her, how is that disrespectful?
What claims could she make that the team improved under her?
They still finished 2nd to worst just like every other year.
So the fact that LA is considering her doesn't exactly speak against Minny. They don't exactly have a stellar record for hiring coaches...

PostPosted: 12/07/09 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
sportsfan48 wrote:
By ending the season without securing her as their coach for the next one, IMO the Lynx were sending a message that Jen is not what they really want.

If it is a matter of Jenn asking more than Minny wants to give, again IMO the issue is respect.

So if she was asking them more than what they thought her job was worth and they didn't want to re-sign her, how is that disrespectful?
So the fact that LA is considering her doesn't exactly speak against Minny. They don't exactly have a stellar record for hiring coaches...

And Minnesota does???

caune

PostPosted: 12/07/09 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sportsfan48 wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:
sportsfan48 wrote:

And Minnesota does???

The fact that she was not already signed speaks volumes.
I know she wanted to be there...but LA is a great job with great players and great owners and great location much closer to Jenns home base, so why not sign there if they are the ones who offer you a deal?

PostPosted: 12/07/09 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She was offered the Lynx job. Best wishes to Jen on this next step of her career...

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 12/07/09 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Boucek going to land any where in the W? Would never have seen her in LA, but not sure where she will ever fit.

PostPosted: 12/07/09 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
Is Boucek going to land any where in the W? Would never have seen her in LA, but not sure where she will ever fit.

Considering the rumours that she annoyed some players with her frequent references to God and religion, surely she's the natural successor to Dan Hughes in San Antonio, whenever he quits/gets fired Wink.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 12/07/09 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With BL lurking in the Wolves office don't be shocked to see Mahorn or Reeve pop up...just a gut feeling given BL's proximity.

PostPosted: 12/08/09 2:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sportsfan48 wrote:
If the Lynx front office wanted Gillom to be their coach they should have signed and sealed the deal before the season ended. Maybe they didn't think she would have an other options or that she wouldn't consider any other options. That really doesn't matter. By ending the season without securing her as their coach for the next one, IMO the Lynx were sending a message that Jen is not what they really want.

If it is a matter of Jenn asking more than Minny wants to give, again IMO the issue is respect. I really can't see Jenn asking Minny for more than she would be asking from LA. And if LA is interested, then someone is showing confidence (i.e. respect) in her.

She was offered the job & it was hers if she wanted it as far as I'm concerned. She didn't. They negotiated & apparently she felt LA was for her. If LA wants to over pay her up front, fine. Based on what she’d done I wouldn’t have offered her top dollars. Her X’s & O’s were not top dollar quality for me. Extra dollars thru incentives though. If she'd rather coach a team with more experience, fine. She wants to keep the HS gig and be close to home in the summer, great. If they can offer her things that we can’t, fine. I’ll assume she’s doing exactly what she wants to do. Nice person & wish her well but it's beyond time we move away from the high school coaches & to some folks w/more experience. That’s my preference & I think we’ve done better. Of course time will tell …

PostPosted: 12/08/09 6:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
She was offered the Lynx job. Best wishes to Jen on this next step of her career...

I will always wish her the best. She is one charming, classy lady and I'm glad we had her in MN. She might have all kinds of reasons to want to go elsewhere: weather, family, her favorite restaurant (lol). In any case I hope the Lynx end up with a good coach who can teach a young team.

PostPosted: 12/08/09 7:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
4ever_bball_fan wrote:

Considering the rumours that she annoyed some players with her frequent references to God and religion, surely she's the natural successor to Dan Hughes in San Antonio, whenever he quits/gets fired Wink.

One would hope a coach with Coach Boucek's X's and O's would not have to wait for a coaching retirement in the W to get a job. Granted, she might well have to go back to assistant status, but not wait in line unless it is for Coach Ryan.

PostPosted: 12/08/09 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sure the Lynx will make the play offs this upcoming season, how can they not with their line up of talent, but having another new Coach and new system is not helpful in getting that shiny trophy

#NATC

PostPosted: 12/08/09 8:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
One would hope a coach with Coach Boucek's X's and O's would not have to wait for a coaching retirement in the W to get a job.

I never really got the impression that X's & O's were her forte, but I agree that she may well be on a few radars around the league.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: