RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sacramento State beats Washington???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 11/30/09 12:29 pm    ::: Sacramento State beats Washington??? Reply Reply with quote

This is incredible, maybe the biggest upset of the century.

Sacramento State has been plain awful forever. I think the best RPI the program has had has been in the 290s, and maybe not ever that high. For the Hornets to beat a Pac-10 school -- especially a Pac-10 school with the resources of the University of Washington -- is pretty much incomprehensible.

Credit to Jamie Craighead, Sac State's new coach, but if this didn't seal Tia Jackson's fate, then the UW administration must not even know it has a women's basketball program.

PostPosted: 11/30/09 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tia Jackson is rapidly becoming the Charlie Weiss of WCBB. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 11/30/09 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dfineguy wrote:
Tia Jackson is rapidly becoming the Charlie Weiss of WCBB. Rolling Eyes

Perhaps UW should've went with Michelle Marciniak as the head coach after all.

PostPosted: 11/30/09 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Uh-oh. I think you might want to edit the thread title, Clay.

EDIT: It's been up long enough, and no one's complained, so I think it's fine. Cool

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/30/09 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We're all too busy facepalming at UW. Even those of us on the Right Coast know how bad Sac State has been.

(now with spelling variations)
played3on3

PostPosted: 11/30/09 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's a Sacramento State???? Who knew Shocked Obviously UW knows now Laughing

wadethered

PostPosted: 11/30/09 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I always thought I'd give Tia 3 full years at UW...but this is just plain terrible. I'm now officially on the "Fire Tia" bandwagon, especially with what June Daugherty is starting to build at Washington State. Her sophomore, freshman and incoming HS classes are light years ahead of the recruits that Jackson is bringing in. Combining an increasing lack of talent with her obvious inability to coach the players she has got has turned the UW women's program from perpetually mediocre to the Pac-10's doormat. We're now officially the worst team in the league.

Turning UW into WSU was not what the last AD had in mind when he hired her.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 12/01/09 12:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well, i was there and let me tell you i was shocked at the outcome. despite losing to the memphis state tigers on friday, the sacramento hornets had played them pretty even up to around the midway point in the second half. that was the game where brittany carter tossed in 49.

after the huskies put some whoop ass on the eastern washington eagles friday, i was pretty confident for them against sacramento.

from the start sac state used a full court press that totally unnerved the huskies. they turned the ball over on back-to-back inbounding possessions, resulting in two baskets for the hornets.

regina rogers started out strong for the huskies, but she's nursing a bad thumb; plus, she's terribly overweight and has to be pulled out too often.

fast forward to the end of the game. the huskies had battled back, but with less than 30 seconds left they must have had 6 three point shots that didn't connect. it was pathetic. the huskies have basically two scorers, rogers and sami whitcomb, but kristi kingma had a fair shooting day. unfortunately, she was the one taking the late 3 pointers, so her percentage took a hit.

the first game was a shocker, too. the eastern washington eagles beat the memphis state tigers. the tigers looked like they'd stayed out a little too late saturday night. once carter woke up she threw down @ 25 points. let me say just how smooth she is offensively. she can elevate, has a nice pullup shot, and when she goes inside, she just glides to the basket and can finish.

PostPosted: 12/01/09 2:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
fast forward to the end of the game. the huskies had battled back, but with less than 30 seconds left they must have had 6 three point shots that didn't connect. it was pathetic. the huskies have basically two scorers, rogers and sami whitcomb, but kristi kingma had a fair shooting day. unfortunately, she was the one taking the late 3 pointers, so her percentage took a hit.

I was following the game on gametracker and I was surprised that they kept going for the three when they had a minute to play. They kept getting the offensive boards but passing it out. There was plenty of time to get the two and still have possession. It definitely was a confounding game but Sac State did play well, making 39 percent of their threes.

ajdawg7

PostPosted: 12/01/09 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
scullyfu wrote:

I was following the game on gametracker and I was surprised that they kept going for the three when they had a minute to play. They kept getting the offensive boards but passing it out. There was plenty of time to get the two and still have possession. It definitely was a confounding game but Sac State did play well, making 39 percent of their threes.

I've yet to see the Huskies consistently do the smart thing during Tia's tenure. Gee, wonder if a lack of coaching has something to do with it?

John Wooden
FS02

PostPosted: 12/01/09 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They really don't consistently do anything consistently, that's the problem.

I think Tia knows what a good team would look like, and where her team is now, but doesn't have a map to get from A to B.

It's going to be brutal for the Dawgs, I think the next 6 or 7 games are on the road too.

Dennis1361

PostPosted: 12/02/09 2:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well the next several games will determine Jacksons fate; Udub hits the road agains Univ South FL and Central Fl, then comes home to face Seattle Univ and then on the raod to Mich State and Western Mich. Worsts case is Udub drops all six games which looks entirely possible. They absolutly have to beat Seattle U especially because Sac States only other win came vs. (wait for it) Seattle!
Best case scenario is two wins.
The Huskies are going to find it tough sledding ahead

QMcCall3

PostPosted: 12/02/09 3:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dennis1361 wrote:
They absolutly have to beat Seattle U especially because Sac States only other win came vs. (wait for it) Seattle!
Best case scenario is two wins.

I for one am looking forward to the SeattleU matchup...

Though Sac St beat Seattle U (12) by more than UW (3), Bonvicini will probably look at the tape and realize that UW is simply not responding well to pressure in the backcourt at all this year... and SeattleU is a team that aggressively traps in the half court...

Given UW's size advantage, it would be a stretch to predict an upset...but then again I thought the same thing about their home game against Sac St...

Seattle NCAA wbb could use the jolt that a cross-town rivalry would bring though.... whether that's good for UW is another story...

As a side note, it's sounding like UW fans are buying up seats at Seattle U for their game...

"Basketball is like poetry in motion. Just comin' down the court, you got a defender in your way. You take him to the left. You take him back to the right. And he's fallin' back, and you just "J" right in his face. And then you look at him, and then you say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: