Board Junkies Forums

MONARCHS FOLD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slovydal

PostPosted: 11/20/09 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
What isn't being said...WNBA teams do not have enough paid season ticket holders to sustain franchises. As the economy worsens, this will play out even more.

There's also the assumption that rich people have money to burn. If that was the case, most rich people wouldn't be rich for long.

Lifelock.

WNBA teams don't have to lose money.

Fuck the Maloofs.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 11/20/09 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
DeMya on twitter:

@deuceswild99

This is a sad sad sad day!!!! Im going to miss Sacramento soooo much! Its my home. My teammates, coaches, and fans 2 words Simply Amazing!!

@deuceswild99

7 years in purple & white 2 end like this I hv no words...Zachara will truly miss her adopted aunts!! tears of sadness today. rain go away!

Olnezi

PostPosted: 11/20/09 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really I think WNBA owners should be fined for sudden opting out of ownership without forwarning the league. The Monarch owners should have informed the league immediately after the WNBA championship series that departure was ahead. Hopefully, policies will be passed to warn future wnba owners about not giving a franchise enough time to find another investor.

Don't worry, hopefully, they'll find another investor soon. I heard rumors that there are many potential investors looking to embrace a WNBA team.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 11/20/09 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
Lifelock.

Fuck the Maloofs.

I fault the Maloofs for hiring Whisenant as a GM and the timing of this announcement, not for looking out for their own assets. Like I said before, they didn't get rich by blowing their loot.

I'm glad that Phoenix was able to secure a sponsor (because they were going to suffer a similar fate), but that doesn't mean that every team is able to do so. The Mercury has one of the top women's basketball players of all time, is located in a basketball hotbed, and plays a very exciting style of basketball. Sacramento has NONE of that. Who'd want to sponsor a team without a "face", that plays in a crappy arena, and does not play an exciting style of basketball?

Having a sponsor isn't going to cure all ills. A poorly managed team will still be a poorly managed team--and that's what the Monarchs were from 2007 to 2009.

Mathies to LA 2013
hyperetic

PostPosted: 11/20/09 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This offseason will become an landmark in WNBA history. Questions about the viability of the league will again run rampant. Coffin makers will again be preparing their tools and materials. I must admit its quite depressing. Is that all the championship teams besides Phoenix & LA now that have folded or moved?
BCBG25

PostPosted: 11/20/09 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, 3 champs gone in one year time. I feel for all Sacramento fans (we've been saying that a lot, lately, haven't we?). It's like we should have a template with things to say to fans that are losing their teams. Actually, the league seems to have a PR one already, we only need to replace the name of the city and the team.
Hopefully a deal gets worked out to keep the team in No-Cal. Damn...

PostPosted: 11/20/09 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From @ TichaPenicheiro

This is a very sad day!! I'm appauled, distraught, speechless...I have been with the Monarchs for 12 years...and today it came to an end!!

Thank you Sacramento for all of your support!! You were the best fans in the WNBA!! We will miss you dearly!!

Your words of encouragement are truly appreciated!! Today is one of the saddest days of my life!! Sacramento is crying along with all of us!

@sugarray20 our owners decided to part ways with us! I guess it was a financial decision, that I respect, BUT... it's still very sad!!

Bretter

PostPosted: 11/20/09 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
This offseason will become an landmark in WNBA history. Questions about the viability of the league will again run rampant. Coffin makers will again be preparing their tools and materials. I must admit its quite depressing. Is that all the championship teams besides Phoenix & LA now that have folded or moved?

Also Seattle. So 5 of the 13 championships still have their home cities active.

No 1 Throwdown

PostPosted: 11/20/09 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
What isn't being said...WNBA teams do not have enough paid season ticket holders to sustain franchises. As the economy worsens, this will play out even more.

There's also the assumption that rich people have money to burn. If that was the case, most rich people wouldn't be rich for long.

Lifelock.

Fuck the Maloofs.

How many companies are really willing to do what lifelock is doing? Who says lifelock made a good move? do these companies really make millions by being on wnba jerseys?

Red Panda 4 life
n2femmes

PostPosted: 11/20/09 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Olnezi wrote:
Really I think WNBA owners should be fined for sudden opting out of ownership without forwarning the league. The Monarch owners should have informed the league immediately after the WNBA championship series that departure was ahead. Hopefully, policies will be passed to warn future wnba owners about not giving a franchise enough time to find another investor.

Don't worry, hopefully, they'll find another investor soon. I heard rumors that there are many potential investors looking to embrace a WNBA team.

I'm with you, Olnezi, I hope another investor steps in quickly.

I have to wonder though, who knows if this wasn't put into motion a while ago and the so-called SF investors are close to closing a deal? Now that they may be close, the annoucement is made. Maybe Donna didn't want to announce it too early either to save what's left of the face of this league.

I don't know, it's all confusing and sad. The players and team reps finding out the way they did is the lowest. Upper management was told the night before the announcement and the players and sales teams were told as the press release goes live? Sucks. Just sucks. THIS is the real BLACK FRIDAY in Sac.

uncommonclay

PostPosted: 11/20/09 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

whoooaa ...

shocking ...

i guess it would be handy for me if they do move to the bay area ...

what a loss ...

it was sweet while it lasted though ...

a beautiful era ...

Cui7

PostPosted: 11/20/09 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I honestly don't think that the monarchs will be moved to the Bay Area in time for the 2010 season. Dispersal draft here we come. Considering that this economic crises was the worst since the Great Depression -- two teams either relocating or folding in one year is not as bad as the league itself folding. But, then again that could still happen.

n2femmes

PostPosted: 11/20/09 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the Monarchs wind up in a dispersal draft, whatever team that gets Nicole Powell will win the championship next year. She's one of the most gifted players I have ever had the enjoyment to watch and will support whatever team she goes to.

amaha05

PostPosted: 11/20/09 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Maloofs can Kiss My entire ass.

I know for a fact that there have been groups interested in a franchise. At least 2 over the last 12 months. Donna Didn't even return Phone calls. I should say the league didn’t.

With teams in proper markets they wouldn’t be hemorrhaging money. A team in the Bay Area wouldn’t be a Money Loser. Plus they have plenty of Business headquartered in the region. They would have Advertising dollars. They would have Media.

The Maloofs want to move that team to Vegas. They are not gonna get the Stadium they want. Sac is gonna have to move Heaven and earth to make that happen. So Moving a crap ass Kings team is much easier than trying to hold on to both.

I guess I can understand that. What I don't understand is why they couldn't allow a Bay Area group to take controlling interest for this season and then divest entirely in 2011. In fact why couldn't the Maloofs pony up the small operation and relocation cost as a parting gift. They aren't bankrupt, they just want to focus on the Kings.

So Buy the Monarchs 12 months to secure their future. Let them play at the Cow Palace for one Season as they work out the deal in Oakland or Santa Clara. Yeah the Cow Palace isn't the best venue, but I checked into it and it will be available for another year or so. It is accessible to Public transportation from the East Bay, can CAL Tran from the South Bay.

It isn't the best situation. But it is better than the Crap Ass, Low ball, Simple minded solution the Monarchs and Donna never tried to make.

I'd rather be trapped in someone else's dutch oven than deal with the "breath of fresh air" Gavin Newsom would bring to Sacramento.
That's change NO-ONE can believe in.

Last edited by amaha05 on 11/20/09 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cui7

PostPosted: 11/20/09 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No 1 Throwdown wrote:
Slovydal wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Lifelock.

Fuck the Maloofs.

How many companies are really willing to do what lifelock is doing? Who says lifelock made a good move? do these companies really make millions by being on wnba jerseys?

Exactly.

toad455

PostPosted: 11/20/09 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's clearly someone out there looking to buy the Monarchs. If not, the league would have announced that they team is done. There's at least hope for the Monarchs to stay alive, and in the Bay Area. I have a feeling the league will make an announcement by the end of the year. As far as schedules, the league will likely make two schedules, like last year with Houston. One with the Monarchs and one without.

I was really looking foward to an offseason without a dispersal or expansion draft. Let's hope it stays that way.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Slovydal

PostPosted: 11/20/09 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I used to go to Grateful dead concerts at the Kaiser Auditorium in Oakland - does anyone know what the seating capacity is?

I can't remember for some reason...

n2femmes

PostPosted: 11/20/09 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
I used to go to Grateful dead concerts at the Kaiser Auditorium in Oakland - does anyone know what the seating capacity is?

I can't remember for some reason...

LOL - too funny.

toad455

PostPosted: 11/20/09 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, with a potential new arena being built in Las Vegas, it's only a matter of time before the Maloofs move the Kings to Las Vegas.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 11/20/09 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
I fault the Maloofs for hiring Whisenant as a GM and the timing of this announcement, not for looking out for their own assets. Like I said before, they didn't get rich by blowing their loot.

Exactly. If fans were not going to shell out the money to watch the Monarchs, it would not matter what the Maloffs did. Fans need to buy SEASON tickets. Fans need to shell out the money.

bballfan2005 wrote:
I'm glad that Phoenix was able to secure a sponsor (because they were going to suffer a similar fate), but that doesn't mean that every team is able to do so. The Mercury has one of the top women's basketball players of all time, is located in a basketball hotbed, and plays a very exciting style of basketball. Sacramento has NONE of that. Who'd want to sponsor a team without a "face", that plays in a crappy arena, and does not play an exciting style of basketball?

And fans are not going to shell out the money to watch a crap product. People can talk about fundamentals of the women's game all they want - whether true or not. If the teams cannot play an exciting brand of basketball, no one is going to watch.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/20/09 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
PRballer wrote:
and in terms of dispersal, maybe Tulsa can even grab Paris? Might be a silver lining for the new franchise. Yikes.

I have Paris going to either Chicago or San Antonio in the event of a dispersal draft.

Sorry to even have to discuss this Monarchs fans, but Paris might even go as high as #3 to Connecticut. It'd almost certainly be her, Laura Harper or DeMya Walker at that point, after Brunson and Powell went #1/#2 in some order. Penicheiro, Lawson and Maiga-Ba are all unrestricted free agents so wouldn't be part of a dispersal draft, meaning it wouldn't be anywhere near deep enough for Paris to drop all the way to Tulsa.

It's scary for the league how this just dropped out of nowhere for everybody, from the GM to the players to the people around here who usually know things before they officially happen. It's really getting a bit late to start searching for new owners and a new place to play in the Bay Area. 12 teams in 2010 (assuming we still have a league) followed by theoretical expansion to the Bay Area in 2011 looks more likely to me.

JRae

Location: somewhere where they got rid of their wnba team cuz the kings suck

PostPosted: 11/20/09 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i think the part that pisses me off the most is their reasoning behind folding the monarchs was so they could "refocus" on the kings and that their "losing money with the kings" was the reason for folding the monarchs. this doesnt make sense to me.

From what i read last season Monarchs lost just over $500,000 last season while the Kings lost $32 MILLION!

Avatar: From the back of my car. yes it's still there. Maloofs can suck it!
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 11/20/09 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lawson's a UFA? Interesting. I wonder if her reputation around the league is as high as it was in Sacramento.

Mathies to LA 2013
Queenie

PostPosted: 11/20/09 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What the fuck what the fuck what the fuck what the fuck what the fuck what the fuck.

In conclusion, what the fuck?

No, that's not actually the conclusion. I can't believe it. There was no hint that the Maloofs were looking to ditch the team at all. We knew the Monarchs were having problems, partly because of that core of furious STH who have such an active presence on the Internet. But if bad records and crap management meant a team was going into limbo, shit, I'd have been out a team before Reb's was even created.

Jesus Hypothetical Christ. How the fuck did it all go wrong? I'm damn near crying here. Losing a team always hurts, but having it be one of the originals is worse.

Sacramento was my out of market team for a couple of seasons- actually, back in '05. I just liked the group they had so much. How can you not love Ticha Penicheiro? Ticha-to-Yo was the closest thing, IMO, that the WNBA has ever had to Stockton-to-Malone.

That Sacramento crew that made the annual schlep cross-country for the All-Star Game? They're the ones who inspired me to coin "obsession" as the collective noun for a group of basketball fans. Thanks to one of them, there's a Yolanda Griffith bobble-head on my entertainment unit; thanks to another, I have a couple of Gametime programs.

I hope with all my heart that this is just a hiccup, and that the team will move to an arena and market where they can reach their base. Otherwise... no. This is not right. This is not how it is ever supposed to end.

(now with spelling variations)
ladeeda

PostPosted: 11/20/09 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

anyone besides lawson a free agent? Bay area has to be figured out before dec 1st to keep a free agent.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: