RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

MONARCHS FOLD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
caune

PostPosted: 11/20/09 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fucking Maloofs.
Maybe if they didn't spend so much of their money on crap like romancing Brittney Spears Rolling Eyes

I really hope they move them some how, some way!

PostPosted: 11/20/09 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

oh keep the boys... Not another team... nooooo

PostPosted: 11/20/09 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was going on my lunch break when I first heard the news on this thread.

Then I nearly choked on my lunch. Mad

I'm just totally...totally stunned.

I hope the Bay Area deal goes through; at least there will be a way for us NorCal'ers to get our WNBA fix.

But right now...I'm just feeling miserable right now. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 11/20/09 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry for the local Monarch's fans, players and coaches, et al.

We need a woman with a big purse to help boost the WNBA and make it a profitable institution. Hey Oprah! Whatcha doin' after you end your show next year? Holla!

bballfan2005

This doesn't surprise me at all. When I started noticing sparse ARCO crowds for the Kings (2008-09), it was only a matter of time before the Monarchs folded. The Maloofs are really fickle about their $$. They'll overpay a washed-up NBAer before they're willing to keep taking losses from their WNBA team.

It's best for the fans to move the team to the Bay Area, but how competitive would that team be if Whiz is still infecting this team with his sorry ass decision making? Sorry, but I say do what's best for the league in the short term and disperse the talent so that the players who wouldn't cut it anywhere else but Sacramento are weeded out for good. Great players like Brunson will definitely find a home (New York). Good players like Maiga-Ba, Penicheiro, and Powell will be rotation players elsewhere. Decent players like Lawson should have no trouble finding a team. The rest will struggle, especially Scho Ro (rookie contract has ended) and Chelsea.

Mathies to LA 2013
JRae

Location: somewhere where they got rid of their wnba team cuz the kings suck

im on the phone with some STHs and we are gonna go picket arco. FUCK THE MALOOFS!

Avatar: From the back of my car. yes it's still there. Maloofs can suck it!
Bretter

PostPosted: 11/20/09 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another city with a championship gone.

This leaves LA, Seattle, and Phoenix... Confused

PRballer

PostPosted: 11/20/09 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
This doesn't surprise me at all. When I started noticing sparse ARCO crowds for the Kings (2008-09), it was only a matter of time before the Monarchs folded. The Maloofs are really fickle about their $$. They'll overpay a washed-up NBAer before they're willing to keep taking losses from their WNBA team.

It's best for the fans to move the team to the Bay Area, but how competitive would that team be if Whiz is still infecting this team with his sorry ass decision making? Sorry, but I say do what's best for the league in the short term and disperse the talent so that the players who wouldn't cut it anywhere else but Sacramento are weeded out for good. Great players like Brunson will definitely find a home (New York). Good players like Maiga-Ba, Penicheiro, and Powell will be rotation players elsewhere. Decent players like Lawson should have no trouble finding a team. The rest will struggle, especially Scho Ro (rookie contract has ended) and Chelsea.

and in terms of dispersal, maybe Tulsa can even grab Paris? Might be a silver lining for the new franchise. Yikes.

abontorab9

PostPosted: 11/20/09 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow.

The Maloofs didn't even give any warning.

If they deserve any credit, it's for announcing this soon enough that perhaps the team can be moved to the Bay Area in time for 2010.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 11/20/09 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
and in terms of dispersal, maybe Tulsa can even grab Paris? Might be a silver lining for the new franchise. Yikes.

I have Paris going to either Chicago or San Antonio in the event of a dispersal draft.

Mathies to LA 2013
JRae

Location: somewhere where they got rid of their wnba team cuz the kings suck

PostPosted: 11/20/09 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well if there is any monarchs sths on this board, a few of us have been talking and we have decided we will be protesting at every kings game for the rest of the year. we know this wont bring our team back but we have to honor this team some way and if its so the maloofs can refocus on the kings, then i think its only right that since they cost us our team, we protest at their games.

Avatar: From the back of my car. yes it's still there. Maloofs can suck it!
ClayK

PostPosted: 11/20/09 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If somebody in the Bay Area is willing to lose a million or so next season, playing at the wrong arena, or at a couple arenas, down the road the future is pretty bright. Cohan's disastrous management of the Warriors and his pending IRS suit, may force him to sell -- or perhaps be more open to 17 dates at Oracle on less-than-debilitating terms.

This is very sad for the Monarchs' fans, many of whom I know by face after driving up there since 1997. There are a group of true faithful that deserved much better, and though the commute to the Bay Area will be a little easier than the commute to Sacramento, it's still asking a lot to make that trek all summer.

And speaking of Courtney Paris, she went to high school about five miles from Oracle, so there is a local angle, for whatever that might be worth.

PostPosted: 11/20/09 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nickv1025 wrote:
Wow.

The Maloofs didn't even give any warning.

If they deserve any credit, it's for announcing this soon enough that perhaps the team can be moved to the Bay Area in time for 2010.

You'd think they would have announced it even earlier - Now the W has to scramble to make this deal happen. If they can't wrap it up soon, we're only going to have 12 teams next season. (With Minny staying in the West, btw)

I'd feel a little more comfortable if this was announced about a month ago.. Now it's up in the air. I feel so bad for Monarchs fans Sad

abontorab9

PostPosted: 11/20/09 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My personal opinion is that the W will let the Monarchs fold, announcing that funding in Oakland was not raised in time.

I believe there will then be a dispersal draft for the remaining 12 teams in the league (6 in each conference).

The league will then decide to allow teams to carry 12 players, 1 being inactive.

This would make for the most competitive the league has been in a while.

Draft picks would move up simply eliminating Sacramento (1-Minnesota, 2-Connecticut, 3-Minnesota, 4-Chicago).

boogiezen

PostPosted: 11/20/09 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now, what's next?! Awful news.

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 11/20/09 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The MaGoofs hired two of the worst GMs in the recent era (Geoff Petrie for the Kings, John Whisenant for the Monarchs), who fielded the worst teams in their respective league's sports. This is a classic example of "getting what you pay for". Maybe they finally realized that ruining two franchises instead of one actually cost them more $$.

Still, this was poorly handled--but did anyone expect anything different from two boneheads who don't possess a modicum of class between them?

Mathies to LA 2013
Rothum

PostPosted: 11/20/09 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm having a hard time wrapping myself around the fact the players weren't notified.

Damn, even Whiz, who knew last night, should have had the f'in courtesy to contact 11 people. Its not a football team, we're talking 11 people here!!!!

"What do you do when those with all the power are harming those who have none? You start by standing up and telling the truth."

I write for Off-Court.com Anything I write on this website are my own views and do not represent the organization in anyway.
n2femmes

PostPosted: 11/20/09 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a Monarchs STH, er . . . former STH, I'm pissed for several reasons:

1 - although this happens every day in corporate America, some warning would have been nice. A little time to absorb the shock would have been helpful. And I'll wrap that statement in my last point.

2 - I literally counted down the days to Monarchs season. I have a very stressful job and going to games was a wonderful escape for me. I left the Blackberry in the car, drank a beer, and cheered on Nicole Powell and the team.

3 - I'm STILL NOT OVER JENNY BOUCEK BEING FIRED!!!!

4 - The Maloofs are in it for themselves. They want $$. Their NBA franchise is one of the worst. How they can justify this is simply confusing to me.

5 - I hate the damned traffic in the Bay!!!

6 - The fans are devastated. Bekky Brunson found out by reading it in the press release????

7 - and most importantly: my SO works for the Maloofs and they were all told about the Monarchs as the press release went live. No warning. So, STHs, when you call demanding your money back, go easy on the girls that sold you those tickets and have been your reps for years. They are as crushed as you.

GO MERCURY! GO STARS! GO AWAY JOHN WHISENANT! I hope the new owners get a new coaching staff too. F them.

n2femmes

PostPosted: 11/20/09 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rothum wrote:
I'm having a hard time wrapping myself around the fact the players weren't notified.

Damn, even Whiz, who knew last night, should have had the f'in courtesy to contact 11 people. Its not a football team, we're talking 11 people here!!!!

WWJD? WHAT WOULD JENNY DO???? She'd been on the phone in a heartbeat!!!

Is it too much to hope a big investor in Sac will step up and take over?

HistoryWomensBasketball

PostPosted: 11/20/09 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow!!! Totally sucks. When I read it, it reminded me of the abl. While all knew the league was in trouble, that it happened just before a holiday and many players found out thru media sucked. Most thought it would make it until the all star game.

Of course I hope a move can be worked out. How much would it really take to get it all together? Anyone have any real idea?

The only reference I have is back to the new eng blizz days. They announced around end of may and tipped off October 18. Yet I'm sure much was going on behind the scenes.

The NBA certainly lost many teams in the early days. Of what little I know, I do think some of those teams were from smaller cities. We have lost teams in many big populated markets. How many markets are there still out there for consideration?

If the WNBA was to lose 1 team every year for the next 5, what are the 5 markets (not including bay area in this topic)?

2 in 1 year does concern me. Yes, times are very hard and big investors are losing money too, but I am concerned this could become more of a trend.

Hope I am very very wrong.

www.barnstormingamerica.net
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 11/20/09 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Too much work to be done to try to field a team in 2010.

Mathies to LA 2013
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 11/20/09 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What isn't being said...WNBA teams do not have enough paid season ticket holders to sustain franchises. As the economy worsens, this will play out even more.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 11/20/09 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
What isn't being said...WNBA teams do not have enough paid season ticket holders to sustain franchises. As the economy worsens, this will play out even more.

There's also the assumption that rich people have money to burn. If that was the case, most rich people wouldn't be rich for long.

Mathies to LA 2013
BobScoutingReport

PostPosted: 11/20/09 4:24 pm    ::: Monarchs Reply Reply with quote

Maybe people will start to believe my gloomy thinking about the WNBA's future.

The Maloofs gave everyone the impression that the Monarchs were tied to the Kings so long as the Kings were in Sacramento. I agree the timing of this was poor, almost to force the Monarchs to disappear. It sounds like little or no effort was made to find the Monarchs a new owner until very recently. Assuming he is being truthful, that Whiz was kept in the dark about this is very sad.

I would agree that the lateness of the hour will make it difficult to place a team in the Bay area for the 2010 season. It sounds like Blaz gets bailed out by a dispersal pick as has happened before!

Slovydal

PostPosted: 11/20/09 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DeMya on twitter:

@deuceswild99

This is a sad sad sad day!!!! Im going to miss Sacramento soooo much! Its my home. My teammates, coaches, and fans 2 words Simply Amazing!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: