RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Q & A with Mary Thomas (Mel's mom) - A Season Later

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SportsPageMike

PostPosted: 10/04/05 5:44 am    ::: Q & A with Mary Thomas (Mel's mom) - A Season Later Reply Reply with quote

Q & A with Mary Thomas (Mel's mom) - A Season Later

By Mike D'Avino: October 4, 2005

It has now been a year since I first interviewed Mary Thomas, mother of Mel Thomas, a sophomore point guard for the University of Connecticut women's basketball team...

http://www.sportspagemagazine.com/published/UConn/q-a-with-mary-thomas-mels.shtml

PostPosted: 10/05/05 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great read mike, Mel's parents both come across as lovely as Mel does. She's a gem to watch during a game - especially when one of her teammates does something good. I can't wait for the UConn / Villanova match up during the season, when Mel and her highschool rival Maria Getty face off for the first time since the Mt Notre Dame team defeated Maria's Eagle's in the Ohio state final in Mel's senior year. With any luck both girls will be on the floor, and able to show every one else why the CJ/MND match up was such a special one each year.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 10/07/05 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

anyone think mary thomas comes across as a whining, little wimp?

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 10/08/05 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

From that article? I didn't, why would you say that? She came across as a momma, but whinig little wimp? No.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 10/08/05 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

From that article? I didn't, why would you say that? She came across as a momma, but whinig little wimp? No.

ok. how about an overprotective asshole?

"come home mel, come home!" (because she didn't play vs. tenn)

wahhhhhhhhhhh.

douche.

Last edited by cthskzfn on 10/09/05 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
AAEmotion

PostPosted: 10/08/05 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seriously, get over it moron - she's Mel's mother, of course she's going to react a little differently to other people. For crying out loud. *YOU* are the one who sounds like a whining little wimp.

PostPosted: 10/09/05 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAEmotion wrote:
Seriously, get over it moron - she's Mel's mother, of course she's going to react a little differently to other people. For crying out loud. *YOU* are the one who sounds like a whining little wimp.

hey, i don't mind what you call me if you're the type of person who would be crying like a baby for your daughter to come home because the coach didn't put your kid into the game! Rolling Eyes

maybe you're one of those asshole parents we all read, see and hear too much about these days.

VandyWhit

PostPosted: 10/09/05 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm kinda in the middle on this one. I think that a lot of parents probably feel the same way when their daughters aren't being given the roles or the playing time they think they should have.

But I also think that it isn't wise for parents to talk about them so openly, either with their own children and with the press. It doesn't help their own children to deal with the situation they're in, and when it's put out there on the Internet, it makes them look, as CTH says, like whiners for the whole world to see. Also it's also dissing the players who were on the court instead of their daughter, which isn't good for anybody.

It's also a little hard to tell whether she's joking or serious, or making that kind of a joke that is serious at the same time. In conversation it probably comes across as very entertaining, but in print, it doesn't come across the same way.

It also struck me that Mary Thomas didn't express a single positive opinion of her own about Geno. She speaks favorably of other players' parents, fans, the trainer, her teammates, the camp she went to this summer, etc., but when given the opportunity to say positive things about Geno, she always instead references her daughter's opinion.

Ultimately, that is probably of more interest to readers than how her mother feels, but over all, it definitely leaves you with the impression that she's happy that her daughter is happy, but that she herself still isn't convinced that UConn is the right place for her.

Like I said, that probably isn't the best thing to have out there on the Internet.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 10/09/05 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nice take, vw.

how in the world could a mary thomas like geno? he didn't play her little girl (who happens to be the bestest basketball player in the whole wide world) against tenn in a nationally televised game!

she should be thanking geno profusely for leaving her daughter on the bench at rutgers. that would've been embarassing.

i understand we don't learn the inflections, tones, facial expressions, etc by reading the interview. but she seems like a jerk to me.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/09/05 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
nice take, vw.

how in the world could a mary thomas like geno? he didn't play her little girl (who happens to be the bestest basketball player in the whole wide world) against tenn in a nationally televised game!

she should be thanking geno profusely for leaving her daughter on the bench at rutgers. that would've been embarassing.

i understand we don't learn the inflections, tones, facial expressions, etc by reading the interview. but she seems like a jerk to me.

Sounds like Mrs. Carey or Mrs. Lawless getting on a message board and calling out fans for saying negative things about her daughter and the Texas or Purdue teams. Most of the time, parents should just keep their mouths shut.

VandyWhit

PostPosted: 10/10/05 7:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Sounds like Mrs. Carey or Mrs. Lawless getting on a message board and calling out fans for saying negative things about her daughter and the Texas or Purdue teams. Most of the time, parents should just keep their mouths shut.

I think they just need to be discreet. Talking about their concerns and frustrations with close friends is one thing. Putting it up on the Internet is something completely different. Also, I'd give the same admonition to husbands, wives, boyfriends and girlfriends, too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: