RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Had to post this...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 02/26/05 6:03 am    ::: Had to post this... Reply Reply with quote

Even if it meant rearing my ugly head again.

This is remarkable. It shouldn't be as good as it is because nothing is ever as good as it should be or could be. This is. It's the jazzish guitarist Pat Metheny, whose records I listened to many years ago (I even attended a clinic with him at Berklee) discussing some jazz recordings that have made an impact on him.

That's not, in my opinion, a prescription for anything more than banality. But Pat takes the job of reflecting on these pieces of music as seriously as a music scientist and the writer does a transcendent job of allowing the piece to breathe and fly. Kudos all around.

I haven't listened to Metheny's music in decades except in passing. I find it pretty boring stuff. Of course I'm a jazz guitarist who went to Berklee who thinks jazz is dead, killed off by MUSICIANS who went to Berklee. But the musical selections Pat discusses... it's the shit. It's music that never does anything but get better.

Give it a read, ya ball heads!

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/25/arts/music/25meth.html?pagewanted=1&incamp=article_popular_4

Here's one of the pieces that I think you might have a hard time finding. It's the Antonio Carlos Jobim song Passarim, (the cut in Portuguese). I bought this album in 1988 I believe when I first moved to LA and I just loved it. A few years later I took mrs jammer to the Hollywood Bowl to see Jobim and he and those tall long haired Brazilian babes he had singing for him did this song and every other great Jobim song.

http://www.drivebyla.com/page1/media/Tom%20Jobim%20-%20Passarim%20-%2013%20-%20Passarim.mp3

Here's a cut from Wes Montgomery. It's a different cut though than the one Pat talks about because that's 8 minutes long with a one minute solo by Wes. But that album, lord when I first heard that album I listened to it constantly.

Ken Burns did 8 hours on jazz and never mentioned Wes Montgomery. But there wasn't a more gifted artist in jazz than Wes. Not Bird. Not Monk. Not Miles. His lines made sense like Bach's lines make sense. I was just telling mrs jammer that last week and now Pat mentions the same thing. Wes was the Bach of the Blues.

Here's a stunning demonstration of Wes's artistry. This record was the second song on side one of the album Bumpin' and so it was the second Wes Montgomery tune I ever conciously listened to. It turned my head around and changed my musical life. I saw images during Wes's solo of New York City streets in the rain. This from someone's choice of notes on a fucking guitar. That blew me away forever.

And it's short, too. Man these are some ugly looking links. Right click and "save link as" to a folder on your machine.

http://www.drivebyla.com/page1/media/Tear%20it%20Down.mp3

And get em while they're hot... or NOT. Sure won't be able to keep these up for more than a day.

sambista

PostPosted: 02/26/05 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thanks, jammer. hadn't seen the metheny piece yet but saved it. also saved the wes mp3 (thanks!). but you gotta admit, jam, that one of the things that makes music so wondrous - eye of the beholder and all. i confess i've never heard in wes what you do. but i'm not a guitarist like you. my whole orientation is percussion, and i groove toward musicians whose style is percussive (like pianist michel camilo), regardless of the ax. anyway, yeah, we could go on and on about jazz greats who didn't get their due. i've never been a big fan of jazz organ, but i've recently flashed on the brilliance of - not jimmy smith or shirley scott, but - charles earland. who knew?! i was also partial to a trumpeter who was hot in the '70s, then disappeared (is he dead?): luis gasca. anyway, just to make a point about the cast of thousands in jazz. but jazz isn't dead. it's like the old brazilian standard about samba, "agoniza mas não morre." it suffers but doesn't die. i never got into metheny, but when i heard "wichita falls" i felt like maybe there was something i wasn't getting. btw, before "black history month" is over, check your pbs stations for a special on romare bearden, many of whose works were inspired by, and a tribute to, jazz. his art was jazz put to canvas.

omigod! i've fallen into jammerspeak!

Last edited by sambista on 02/27/05 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
stever

PostPosted: 02/26/05 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bibb...I've got a interesting Charles Earland album from '71 or so, called "Leaving this Planet,"I believe...very "cosmic," for lack of a better term, much like Pharoah Sanders or Lonnie Liston Smith of the same period.

...Luis Gasca, wow I'd forgotten him altogether, he played on some early Santana albums, I believe.
http://jazzreview.com/articledetails.cfm?ID=957

sambista

PostPosted: 02/27/05 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ok, stever, you really, really scare me some times . . . it was during replaying the vinyl "leaving this planet" that i flashed on earland's brilliance. i had to go in the itunes store and download it digitally. and yeah, gasca played with santana, and i also found (in the itunes store) a live side with santana, buddy miles and gasca doing "evil ways" (except they cut it off before it ended, and that's just wrong). but the vinyl i have is gasca's very own album. it was so hot when i came out, around the time of cold blood and tower of power, i think. mmmmm, memories of the fillmore west . . .

PostPosted: 02/27/05 12:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

that was a great read, stever. thanks. i too thought he was dead. and i thought the lp i have was his only one. before the itunes store, i subscribed to emusic.com (they hooked me with the 50 free mp3s; i made a meticulous list!) because they could be counted on for some great old jazz, tho some was poorly reproduced. the itunes store, in addition to trying to be so hip, should go out for that older, celebrated yet obscure stuff that can't be found anywhere else. random example: i have a double album of lee morgan, his last before he died - "the last session." i finally found a cd of it, but it took forever. and guess who does a stellar solo on this straight-ahead set? bobbi humphrey! who knew?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: