RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

'Star Trek' Fans Protest Cancellation of Series

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sambista

PostPosted: 02/25/05 7:36 pm    ::: 'Star Trek' Fans Protest Cancellation of Series Reply Reply with quote

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - ``Star Trek'' fans from around the world gathered at the gates of Paramount Studios in Hollywood on Friday to protest the impending cancellation of the television series ``Star Trek: Enterprise.''

Carrying signs reading ``It's Not Just a Show, It's a Responsibility'' and ``18 Years of Loyalty and This Is the Thanks I Get?,'' more than 100 people massed at the gates of Paramount, where ``Enterprise'' is produced, to show support for a franchise that has perhaps the most loyal fan base in the world.

None wore costumes, however, in a departure from many gatherings of ``Trekkies.''

(excuse me, but that's "trekkERS.")

---------

Fans are so dedicated that TrekUnited has raised more than $48,000 to give to Paramount to potentially produce a fifth season of the show.

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/arts/entertainment-media-startrek.html?

not exactly a blockbuster turnout, but when was the last time that happened for a show?

the "star trek" franchise is dead. long live "star trek."

beam me up, scotty. this tv programming sucks.

PostPosted: 02/25/05 8:17 pm    ::: Re: 'Star Trek' Fans Protest Cancellation of Series Reply Reply with quote

I've been watching this protest from a distance. The fans are trying to rescue the series and trying to get Paramount to move it to the Sci-Fi channel or Spike TV since UPN wants to target a different audience with their programming, namely 14 to 30 year old women.

Paramount's getting hundreds of letters per day. It'll be interesting to see what happens. That reminds me...I should write my letter soon.

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/26/05 6:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

REAL Trekkies disdain Enterprise and wish it didn't exist. That would be the difference between Trekkies and Trekkers. Gods, are they so desperate for their fix that they'll even take this crap? *headdesk*

PostPosted: 02/26/05 7:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I disdain Star Trek altogether. DS9 had its moments but I'm more of a Babylon 5 sort of person.
sambista

PostPosted: 02/26/05 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

my dear queenie, real trekkers recognize that "enterprise" pales in comparison but appreciate that, in the bigger picture, the trekian vision, the trekian ideal is what must be preserved, even if the vessel is listing. Smile i think shy and i may be fairly close in age but, in any event, we may have been assimilated long before keegan. i'll be an old school snob and say that if you weren't hooked on it 40 years ago - think about that for a moment - you can't know how sad this is. as much as i never bought scott bakula as the captain and occasionally nodded out on the uneventful episodes, the themes have endured as among the most elevated on television.

the trek franchise is dead. long live star trek. Crying or Very sad

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: