RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Mystics Holland-Burton Fires Self, Hires Linda Hargrove

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 02/25/05 1:49 pm    ::: Mystics Holland-Burton Fires Self, Hires Linda Hargrove Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Washington Sports and Entertainment Senior Vice President Judy Holland-Burton announced today that she has elected to step down as Sr. Vice President of Mystics Operations and return full-time to her duties with parent company Washington Sports and Entertainment.

"Launching a franchise is an exhaustive process and Judy let me know of her desire for a change in January," said Washington Sports and Entertainment President Susan O'Malley. "The Mystics continue to lead the WNBA in attendance off the court, and on the court the franchise has made significant strides in the past year. Much of the credit for this franchise's success belongs to Judy. And when I asked Judy who she thought her successor should be, she immediately said 'Linda Hargrove'."

http://www.wnba.com/mystics/news/hollandburton_hargrove050225.html

Shocked

Well if Linda Hargrove sent Tari to NY for a song, Blaze must be salivating at the possibility of getting Holdsclaw away from her.. Maybe she can ask Billy King on advice on how to acquire a superstar for a bunch of bench players. Idea

That and I guess Jackie Stiles will always have a 10-day contract waiting for her if she gets healthy again.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/25/05 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't forget the Teasley deal.

Hargrove will be too busy with all the teams lined up to make deals with Washington, now that she has the GM position.

Quote:
Maybe she can ask Billy King on advice on how to acquire a superstar for a bunch of bench players

Let's hear it for the Dukies!

MoBeard

PostPosted: 02/25/05 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well now. This is an interesting development. Even though they say Pat Summit remains as a consultant, does this mean that maybe Summit and Holdsclaw are on their way out? They actually call Hargrove a GM, a title never held by J. Holland-Burton. Well Courtside and Ripley what do you think?

ripleydc

PostPosted: 02/25/05 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MoBeard wrote:
Well now. This is an interesting development. Even though they say Pat Summit remains as a consultant, does this mean that maybe Summit and Holdsclaw are on their way out? They actually call Hargrove a GM, a title never held by J. Holland-Burton.

hmmm, a "real" GM for the Mystics. generally, I'd say that's a good thing, but Linda's record when it comes to GM decisions is less than stellar (and that's being kind). I bet the WBCA proposal has Pat and Wash Sports a little concerned.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 02/25/05 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Well Courtside and Ripley what do you think?"

As I've said before, I think it's important that the Mystics have someone whose full time job is to be the General Manager, so on that score I'm glad we now have one. Given some of the personnel moves that Hargrove has made in the past, however, it remains to be seen whether she is the right person for this job, and whether the Mystics could have done better if they'd done a real job search rather than picking someone already in house. But the reality is Hargrove is now it so I'm willing to give her the chance.

I do hope that when the Mystics say that Summitt is still a "consultant," that this is *all* she is, and that the GM has the last word. Otherwise, it just can't work. (And Pat's draft decisions have been a combination of no-brainers and wasted picks anyway.)

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/25/05 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Holy Mother of God, someone gave Linda Hargrove authority again?! Damn, I didn't think even the Washington brass was dumb enough to do that. Mystics fans, say good-bye to a star and hello to Jackie Stiles...

PostPosted: 02/25/05 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Queenie"]Holy Mother of God, someone gave Linda Hargrove authority again?! Damn, I didn't think even the Washington brass was dumb enough to do that.quote]

hey, there you go again underestimating the mystics organization! trust me, there is no such thing as too dumb when it comes to mystics personnel decisions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: