RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Domestic expansion draft is on Tuesday, 9/15

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattinDE

PostPosted: 09/13/09 7:40 pm    ::: Domestic expansion draft is on Tuesday, 9/15 Reply Reply with quote

I can't wait to see who the Philadelphia Independence get. The setup for the expansion draft is kind of weird, though. It looks like the existing WPS teams have to announce who they're protecting as the draft goes along (and not beforehand).

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/Home/news/general/090911-philly-atl-expansion.aspx
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/13/09 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think what they're doing is you get to protect up to ten (leaving at least 6 unprotected) before then being allowed to protect an extra two once you've had a player selected. And then protect another one after a second player is gone from your team. So if you protect ten, you don't end up losing your 11th, 12th and 13th best players. Instead you lose your 11th, 14th and 16th best players. Interesting.

Personally, I'm more interested in the international players these two teams pick up. The English FA recently introduced 'central contracts', where the best players who aren't already playing professionally in the US signed deals with the national association so they could get paid and stop working full time jobs. Fara Williams, one of our best players, was a very noticeable absentee from the list. So I can only presume she's probably headed for the US sometime soon.

MattinDE

PostPosted: 09/13/09 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm interested in the international expansion draft myself. That takes place on Tuesday, 9/22.
toad455

PostPosted: 09/13/09 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i guess Dallas isn't joining after all.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
MattinDE

PostPosted: 09/15/09 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's a link to the results. The only player I recognized was Katie Larkin (taken by Atlanta).

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/Home/news/press_releases/090915-expansion-draft-results.aspx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: