RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

RPI Challenge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 09/27/05 7:54 pm    ::: RPI Challenge Reply Reply with quote

Did everybody that played like the game we had last year? Was it too complicated? Did it have too many games? Was it overkill?

We've got some time before the season starts, just looking for some feedback, suggestions, I like the fantasy game format, but I'm not sure it would really fly with the WCBB, plus the fact, that boxscores aren't as easy to come by.

Like I said just looking for some feedback or general discussion.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/27/05 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Playing all the conferences made it a whole bunch of games. I doubt I would do all that again.

PostPosted: 09/27/05 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Playing all the conferences made it a whole bunch of games. I doubt I would do all that again.

I agree, not to mention what a pain it was to keep up with for me too. I had thought about just limiting the game to the top 50 or thereabouts instead of all the conf stuff.

KatValeska

PostPosted: 09/27/05 10:57 pm    ::: Re: RPI Challenge Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:
Did everybody that played like the game we had last year? Was it too complicated? Did it have too many games? Was it overkill?

We've got some time before the season starts, just looking for some feedback, suggestions, I like the fantasy game format, but I'm not sure it would really fly with the WCBB, plus the fact, that boxscores aren't as easy to come by.

Heck, I not only enjoyed it, I'll appreciate whatever it is you come up with for this season. Thanks in advance.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 09/28/05 12:10 am    ::: Re: RPI Challenge Reply Reply with quote

ProfessorChaos06 wrote:
rebkell wrote:

Heck, I not only enjoyed it, I'll appreciate whatever it is you come up with for this season. Thanks in advance.

I liked the average thing as a score keeping unit, but have a min of at least 75% of the games must be picked to qualify. This should give stragglers enough time to get in, and is strict enough to be fair, of course if I thought we could get enough players to start with, we'd just use the totals.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 09/28/05 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i had fun w/ it and, like PC, offer my thanks.

don't change the format and top 50 would be fine w/ me.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/28/05 6:13 pm    ::: Re: RPI Challenge Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:
ProfessorChaos06 wrote:
rebkell wrote:

I liked the average thing as a score keeping unit, but have a min of at least 75% of the games must be picked to qualify. This should give stragglers enough time to get in, and is strict enough to be fair, of course if I thought we could get enough players to start with, we'd just use the totals.

I didn't play last year -- I hadn't completed my move between boards yet -- but I wonder about percentages. If someone plays everyday, they could easily pick only the games that were fairly obvious and not pick the 25 percent of games that looked the hardest to call.

Is there a way to set it up that you have to play 75 percent of the days, not 75 percent of the games?

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 09/28/05 6:32 pm    ::: Re: RPI Challenge Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
I didn't play last year -- I hadn't completed my move between boards yet -- but I wonder about percentages. If someone plays everyday, they could easily pick only the games that were fairly obvious and not pick the 25 percent of games that looked the hardest to call.

Is there a way to set it up that you have to play 75 percent of the days, not 75 percent of the games?

Kinda, what I did last year in the 2nd half, was make it mandatory that you pick all the games in a block(which is actually all the games for a day). If you make one selection in the block of games, you have to pick them all, I figured I'd set up a minimum amount of games that had to be picked to qualify, of course picking and choosing is part of the strategy, but making it mandatory to pick all the games on a given day would make it a bit tougher to cherry pick. You could skip complete days, but you would have to be careful to make sure you got enough games to qualify.

Grumps

PostPosted: 09/28/05 6:37 pm    ::: Re: RPI Challenge Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
rebkell wrote:
ProfessorChaos06 wrote:
rebkell wrote:

Last year there was some cherry picking early on but once Reb changed the rules to where if you picked one game in a group you had to pick all the games in that group for the day...YOu could play the top 50 and 1 conference and meet the minimum games requirement which is what I did...

Grumps

umbeta1455

PostPosted: 09/28/05 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How do you do the top 50? Because isn't the RPI top 50 at the beginning of the year all messed up until the season gets going? Or do you start the year based on the year befores RPI?

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 09/28/05 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

umbeta1455 wrote:
How do you do the top 50? Because isn't the RPI top 50 at the beginning of the year all messed up until the season gets going? Or do you start the year based on the year befores RPI?

Yes, that's what we did last year, we used the Top 50 RPI from the previous year, for the first half of the season, we used it until the First of the year, then we switched over to the current RPI. You are correct, the RPI is too nutzo for the first month or so.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: