RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Looking for info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lior

PostPosted: 09/17/05 5:18 am    ::: Looking for info Reply Reply with quote

Hey all,

Does anyone know where I might be able to find general info about the NCAA, things like how does a school determine in which division to play (is it only up to the school?), how does a school chose a conference, who sits on the selection committee (not names, just what type of people, what are their roles), stuff about strength of schedule (how do u determine that, isn't it very subjective)..?

answers from our local gurus are also welcomed... thanks

Lior

PostPosted: 09/17/05 5:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

also about junior colleges, do they also have confrences or is it just regions? what's a region?

DblT81

PostPosted: 09/17/05 11:08 am    ::: Re: Looking for info Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I might be able to find general info about the NCAA...

http://www2.ncaa.org/legislation_and_governance/rules_and_bylaws/

How does a school determine in which division to play (is it only up to the school?)

From the text below it appears that a school applies for membership in a division but they must meet the NCAA's criteria for the specific division in order to qualify.

Quote:
3.2.3.3 Accreditation and Division Classification. After it has been determined that the institution meets the Association’s requirement of acceptable academic standards (i.e., the institution is accredited by one of the six regional accrediting agencies*), the application shall be considered with regard to requested membership division and sport classification in ccordance with Bylaw 20. The application then shall be referred to the Management Council for consideration.

How does a school chose a conference, who sits on the selection committee (not names, just what type of people, what are their roles)?

I would bet that more often than not a conference invites a school to join. A school may let a conference know they are interested in joining. Conferences are managed by an administative office but representatives (University Presidents, Athletic Directors, etc.) of the member schools would make up the governing body of a conference that would make major decisions like admitting new members. On the university side, acceptance of a conference invitation would be decided by the Board of Trustees/President/Athletic Director depending on a particular schools rules.

Strength of schedule - there is no official SOS. Different groups have different theories on how it should be determined. Typically, SOS is a formula based on the winning percentages of opponents and the winning percentages of the opponent's opponents. The biggest question (for me) is how much weight is given to each component of the formula. Thus it remains subjective and modified by individual bias.

Lior

PostPosted: 09/19/05 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you!

I got an easier question now, who ranks the top 25 teams each week?

sbjules

PostPosted: 09/19/05 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I got an easier question now, who ranks the top 25 teams each week?

There are two polls, Associated Press & the Coaches' poll. Various AP sportswriters (that cover WCBB, one hopes) vote in the AP poll. The Coaches' poll is sponsored by USA Today/ESPN & those numbers are what appears on ESPN's "crawl" with top 25 scores. The coaches' panel is different every year. There will be a list of coaches after the first poll of the year. I think AP voters' names are available too then??

Lior

PostPosted: 09/19/05 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see. Are the coaches who vote on the coaches poll members of the WBCA? Also I know the WBCA selects 10 players each year for their All America team. Who else selects All American teams?

thanks again!

pilight

PostPosted: 09/20/05 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GoLiberty03 wrote:
I see. Are the coaches who vote on the coaches poll members of the WBCA? Also I know the WBCA selects 10 players each year for their All America team. Who else selects All American teams?

thanks again!

The coaches who vote are WBCA members.

Site Admin

PostPosted: 09/20/05 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, you probably need to keep an eye on this site, RPI is one of the biggest factors in determining seeding in the NCAA tourney.

http://www.collegerpi.com/women/

PalaceAthena

PostPosted: 09/20/05 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GoLiberty03 wrote:

thanks again!

The Associated Press also selects an All American team. The Kodak All American team is selected by the coaches (WBCA).

Lior

PostPosted: 09/21/05 1:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: