RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

'80 Miracle Team Pissed At NHL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/22/05 12:51 pm    ::: '80 Miracle Team Pissed At NHL Reply Reply with quote

"Perhaps everyone at that level involved in the taffy pull between owners and players needs to go back 25 years," Jack O'Callahan, a defenseman on the 1980 team, said during a conference call with several other players last week. "They need to take a look at the landscape and be a little more thankful and humble and sit down and work to bring hockey back."

"It's too bad," forward Rob McClanahan said. "The guys have had a lot of opportunities, they're making significant amounts of money. I understand it's less than other sports, but they have to understand that TV drives the ability to pay players."

In 1980, the United States fielded a team full of amateurs and the Americans were prohibitive underdogs at the Olympics, where the Soviet Union brought a squad made up of its most seasoned stars. The United States' 4-3 victory over the Soviets in the medal round is still considered one of the greatest upsets in sports. The Americans defeated Finland two days later to capture the gold medal.

Many of the gold-medal winners went on to successful NHL careers.

"To make it to the NHL was a great feat for those guys," goalie Jim Craig said. "I think it helped USA Hockey and the sport overall."

In this era, the United States sends a team of professionals to compete at the Olympics. But given the number of games being missed because of the current labor dispute, the NHL might refuse to put its season on hold next year for the Olympics.

It would force the United States to field another team of amateurs. Members of the Class of '80 think that might not be such a bad thing.

"I think if we have a chance to let amateurs play, and let people play who really want to get there, I'm all for that and I think it would be great," Craig said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=1996975

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: