RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Becky Hammon : I would like to play for both teams ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HotForHammon

PostPosted: 05/22/09 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As for all the speculation about what is in her contract none of us will ever know. But per the Express News. She was approached in April and asked to play. She told them she had to talk to her agent and Coach. So on the surface it does seem she does have some say. She was told no by SASS and that was reported to the NT but it seems they refuse to accept that. SASS gave her some time to resolve the issue face to face and permission to leave training camp.

KSAT 12 News just did another update at the 6:00 pm news. They even talked to Coach Hughes. Same stuff folks, nothing has changed and they know she is working out with the NT. No big deal. She is there to talk face to face and tell them her intent not to play and try to work out their differences. In the week that she is there it seems it is cool to work out with them. She has a return flight to San Antonio on Tuesday May 26th and they said she will be in Silver and Black to tip off the season. They once again said Becky will not miss any Silver Stars games. The interview and report will be up at SSN shortly but what I typed was pretty much what was said.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/22/09 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
In fairness to our various Hammonite members, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that they'd want her for training camp and a couple of friendlies, rather than not having her at all.

It's possible, but it would be a little unusual.
IMO, if you're about to enter a tournament then you would want your proper roster playing the friendlies as good preparation. Bringing in a main-rotation player for a couple of warm-up games would cause more disruption than benefit.
The only reason this would go down IMO is if the Russians were trying to save face. Just as we have been hearing incorrect things at this end about how Hammon ain't going anywhere, the Russians have also been making big claims about her playing. The truth is likely somewhere in the middle, so at least they get to say that she did play, even if it was pointless.

ClayK wrote:
But it seems to she assured the Silver Stars (and the fans) she wouldn't miss any WNBA time because of the deal with Russia, and now she has to. Either
a) she didn't understand the deal, which is her fault

Could also be her agent's fault. I would have thought that they are the one who should have sorted this out long before it became this big mess.

PostPosted: 05/22/09 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Hammon is to play the few games for Russia, let's hope that she doesn't get seriously injured. That would be terrible for San Antonio.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 05/22/09 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Olnezi wrote:
If Hammon is to play the few games for Russia, let's hope that she doesn't get seriously injured. That would be terrible for San Antonio.

It would be bad for the league period, I would think. Nobody in the WNBA plays even remotely similar to Becky and yes, she is fun to watch (I like watching her play and am not ashamed to say it Wink ). It's doubtful that Parker will be in MVP form this season. Detroit's and Minnesota's stars are already shaken up. This would not be an enjoyable year if something serious were to happen to yet another league superstar.

Mathies to LA 2013
Roofpage

PostPosted: 05/23/09 4:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

"Becky Hammon is in the Russian training camp. Russian NT continue to prepare for European Championship. Apparently there will be no problems with Hammon`s participation in the tournament. In both control matches with Hungary (23 and 24 May) she will take part.", - said a spokesman of Russian basketball federation Alexander Fedotov.

[ translation from BeckyHammon.ru ]

Cheddar

PostPosted: 05/23/09 6:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Olnezi wrote:

It would be bad for the league period, I would think. Nobody in the WNBA plays even remotely similar to Becky and yes, she is fun to watch (I like watching her play and am not ashamed to say it Wink ). It's doubtful that Parker will be in MVP form this season. Detroit's and Minnesota's stars are already shaken up. This would not be an enjoyable year if something serious were to happen to yet another league superstar.

Couldnt agree more LJ coming off injury ect...hate her like her whatever the league needs Becky in MVP form

"Sue's the kitty kat on the court"- Diana
"At least I'm not the asshole" - Sue
HotForHammon

PostPosted: 05/23/09 7:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Roofpage wrote:
Quote:

"Becky Hammon is in the Russian training camp. Russian NT continue to prepare for European Championship. Apparently there will be no problems with Hammon`s participation in the tournament. In both control matches with Hungary (23 and 24 May) she will take part.", - said a spokesman of Russian basketball federation Alexander Fedotov.

[ translation from BeckyHammon.ru ]

Try reading the WHOLE article
Right below that paragraph is says

Quote:
However, if Hemmon still never go to the European Championship, there are those who will be glad to this fact. I am happy in a good sense of the word. Indeed, critics of the current status of national women's basketball предостаточно. Among them, and our outstanding athlete Elena Baranova.

Read the WHOLE article and you see that the guy really doesn't have a clue if she will play or not. He is writing about how Russia needs to develop is youth in the NT. No where in there does its say they spoke to Becky. It does howver make it clear of the conflict between Eurobasket and the WNBA.

http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=n&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.infox.ru%2Fsport%2Fbasketball%2F2009%2F05%2F22%2FSan_Antonio_ne_hochet_otpuskat_Hammon.phtml&sl=ru&tl=en&history_state0=

OldSchoolBB

PostPosted: 05/23/09 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
I wonder who will play Becky in the movie...

Wink

That movie would have more drama and plot twists than anything that has been out in quite a while. Laughing

Slovydal

PostPosted: 05/23/09 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OldSchoolBB wrote:
Slovydal wrote:

Wink

That movie would have more drama and plot twists than anything that has been out in quite a while. Laughing

Movie trailer voiceover:

"What was supposed to be an exhibition game turns out to be an invasion of Chechnyia - American basketball player finds herself in the Russian Army !"

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/23/09 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:

Wink

Knowing Hollywood, they'd get the hot actress of the moment who doesn't look anything like Becky -- probably someone tall. To them, looking like Becky means making the actress wear a ponytail and chew gum. Confused

PostPosted: 05/23/09 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

^^ That sounds like a horrible movie, so bad it's actually pretty good. And I'd go with Brittany Murphy. Or from recent pics Ashley Judd. Sandra Bullock would play it best, but would want no parts of it.

I'd love to see the Russia and San An contracts, just to see what the terms were.

Cheddar

PostPosted: 05/23/09 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

akronborn wrote:
^^ That sounds like a horrible movie, so bad it's actually pretty good. And I'd go with Brittany Murphy. Or from recent pics Ashley Judd. Sandra Bullock would play it best, but would want no parts of it.

I'd love to see the Russia and San An contracts, just to see what the terms were.

My guess is the Russia contract would be much more fun to see what she actually signed than the SASS contract Im sure its more the norm than the Russia contract

"Sue's the kitty kat on the court"- Diana
"At least I'm not the asshole" - Sue
CB

PostPosted: 05/23/09 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
Slovydal wrote:

Wink

Movie trailer voiceover:

"What was supposed to be an exhibition game turns out to be an invasion of Chechnyia - American basketball player finds herself in the Russian Army !"

that's actually funny. Laughing I think I would have to cry if true, what a nightmare that would be. Laughing

PostPosted: 05/23/09 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CB wrote:
PattyforPresident wrote:
Yeah, $46,000 isn't gonna kill her. They should take back everything they've given her.

Wow, that's cold. I had no idea you felt that way about Becky. Sad

I don't imagine any of us would think it fair for a former employer to take back everything they have paid us. Shocked

The State of California does it all the time. Ask anyone on unemployment.

I'd rather be trapped in someone else's dutch oven than deal with the "breath of fresh air" Gavin Newsom would bring to Sacramento.
That's change NO-ONE can believe in.
CB

PostPosted: 05/23/09 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

amaha05 wrote:
CB wrote:
PattyforPresident wrote:
Yeah, $46,000 isn't gonna kill her. They should take back everything they've given her.

Wow, that's cold. I had no idea you felt that way about Becky. Sad

I don't imagine any of us would think it fair for a former employer to take back everything they have paid us. Shocked

The State of California does it all the time. Ask anyone on unemployment.

Well, their governor isn't from here. Laughing J/K mostly

PostPosted: 05/25/09 5:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Becky Hammon will go back to San Antonio [05/25/09 BeckyHammon.ru ]

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/25/09 6:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Scoring 8 points is a smart way to make the Russian team less desperate to make you stay. Well played, Becky Wink

PostPosted: 05/25/09 7:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Scoring 8 points is a smart way to make the Russian team less desperate to make you stay. Well played, Becky Wink

Laughing

Our news last night said she would be home tomorrow. The one good thing about all this mess is because of it the Silver Stars have been on the news almost everyday since camp opened with a Becky update. They always manage to say and the Silver Stars open the season at ATT June 13th. Excellent promotion. Again...well played Becky Wink

CB

PostPosted: 05/25/09 7:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Becky values her relationship with her Russian teammates. Just my opinion, but I don't think she went all the way over there with her integrity at stake (she said something to that effect) and then not play as well as she can. She had just gotten back to the States and turned around to make that long flight again. Smile

Seems management/coach have all changed and are more rigid now though. Sad

Good news for her to be coming home, thank goodness.

PostPosted: 05/25/09 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CB wrote:
Just my opinion, but I don't think she went all the way over there with her integrity at stake (she said something to that effect) and then not play as well as she can.

Pfft... she started and played 28 minutes against the basketball powerhouse that is Hungary, and she scored 8? Come on, we all know she phoned that one in. She did what she had to do to go home, no more, no less. And now she is outta there, which the SASS and WNBA in general will be very happy to hear.

BeckyHammonfan#1

PostPosted: 05/25/09 8:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I sure hope that she will be back in time for season. I brought some tickets for some the road games and I hope she has some good games.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/25/09 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well from the sounds of things she will not only be back for the season, but the pre-season as well.
Gotta be happy with that.

PostPosted: 05/25/09 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Well from the sounds of things she will not only be back for the season, but the pre-season as well.
Gotta be happy with that.

The Russian team can let her go home, now that they've implanted the microchip/tracking device... Wink

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/25/09 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good luck with that, Russians. All that gum chewing will shake it to pieces within hours.

PostPosted: 05/25/09 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 6 of 13

Jump to: