RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Young more conservative than old

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keegan

PostPosted: 09/11/05 11:10 am    ::: Young more conservative than old Reply Reply with quote

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/youre-so-unhip-kids-says-hipreplacement-generation/2005/09/11/1126377205175.html

Quote:
New research has found that 50-somethings have clung to baby boomer ideals of the 1960s and '70s, with a relaxed attitude towards such matters as prostitution, premarital sex and divorce. However, like Eddy's bespectacled daughter Saffy in the sitcom Absolutely Fabulous, typical 20-somethings are more conservative than their parents and are happy to settle down with partners, mortgages and steady jobs.

Certainly not true in my case Wink

I can't help but feel there's an agenda behind this market research though (and a big pfffffft at the spirituality = religion inference).
pilight

PostPosted: 09/11/05 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, the kids have rebelled by becoming what their parents hate the most, which is straight, establishment, dupes.

PostPosted: 09/11/05 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i saw something recently (on Slate) about how the Aussie govt is running ad campaigns to encourage people to have kids (because the birth rate is below the replacement rate).

maybe that needs to be rethunk. rethought. rethinked?

Keegan

PostPosted: 09/11/05 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
i saw something recently (on Slate) about how the Aussie govt is running ad campaigns to encourage people to have kids (because the birth rate is below the replacement rate).

maybe that needs to be rethunk. rethought. rethinked?

Not sure about the ad campaign but they certainly are encouraging people ot have kids. They're even paying a $3000 baby bonus to anybody who has a child (which I believe is meant to go up).

It might be working because the birth rate is going up. If they want people to have more children though, they might want to consider legislating maternity leave, ensuring child care stays affordable and making the workplace more flexible for parents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: