RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

we are not refugees
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
womens_hoops

PostPosted: 09/07/05 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I heard one of the doctors on NPR explaining some of this on Friday. He just said that triage standards here are a lot different.

They had some tag system. Black tags were for dead people, but also used in cases where people were beyond hope. He gave the example of someone who had a severe head injury. In a normal hospital situation, he said you'd do things (technical terms now escaping me) that would maybe give the person a 50-50 chance of survival. But in a situation like this, where there were so many injured and so few resources, and where you just don't really have the equipment for major procedures like that, you just have to let those people go and move on to those who can be helped.

Blame belongs, if anywhere, with the various people who planned so poorly for this. Not with the doctors on site.

herrade

PostPosted: 09/07/05 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
what would have been more dignified? giving each dying person a luggage cart of their own?

i'm sorry i offended you. i just think we need to guard against becoming inured to tragedy and suffering -- even if it's the last moments of someone who has already been through hell. the story made me think about how i would feel if my final moments of consciousness were in a morgue. what a scary way to end life.

PostPosted: 09/07/05 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

if you want to talk scary, check this out:

http://dailykos.com/storyonly/2005/9/6/211436/8987

sambista

PostPosted: 09/07/05 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

herrade wrote:
sebibb wrote:
what would have been more dignified? giving each dying person a luggage cart of their own?

i'm sorry i offended you. i just think we need to guard against becoming inured to tragedy and suffering -- even if it's the last moments of someone who has already been through hell. the story made me think about how i would feel if my final moments of consciousness were in a morgue. what a scary way to end life.

i wasn't offended, but you kinda came at me like i was calloused about it, and i'm not. i made the mistake of coming home from work and watching that oprah show at 1 a.m. - then couldn't sleep when i did get to bed. to me, it feels unseemly just to even be watching tv and sleeping in a real bed and getting up and taking a shower and going to work like things are normal, when thousands of people have been treated worse than dogs in the street. i think it was tragic that the living were carted off to die in a morgue. but i'm not sure that, with the situation so far gone by then, something more dignified could've occurred. if they had used people to cart the dying to a special place, that might have been precious minutes lost to saving the people who might actually be saved. this is less than a war zone. in a war zone, there's the hope of a m.a.s.h. unit.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: