RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WPS Getting Ready To Kick Off

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bullsky

PostPosted: 03/28/09 11:28 pm    ::: WPS Getting Ready To Kick Off Reply Reply with quote

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=Am8ClveEfQgSmjrlec8U9Komw7YF?slug=goal_wps_getting_ready&prov=goal&type=lgns
Quote:
So will it be profitable or even affordable with today’s economic struggles? The WPS is keeping things realistic. They are hoping to fill the stands on game day with four to six thousand people. Season ticket packages start around $100. And game-day/group rates are even more affordable.

“We have several teams with over 1,000 to 1,400 season tickets sold,” Antonucci said. “If that number is times three with group sales, individual sales and walk ups, we’ll be close to our goal of 6000 fans per game.

“The Chicago Red Stars and Boston Breakers have high marks and are on their way to their goal 2,000 season tickets.”

PostPosted: 03/29/09 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Women's Pro Soccer Really Coming Back Now?
Quote:
To fight the downturn and counter the previous failure, WPS has promised to learn from the mistakes that its predecessor, the WUSA, committed earlier this decade. Riding a euphoria that followed the U.S. victory in the 1999 World Cup (Brandi Chastain, shirt off), the WUSA's spending habits fit those overreaching times. "The churn rate in women's soccer 1.0 was dot.com-like," says Paul Swangard, managing director of the Warsaw Sports Marketing Center at the University of Oregon. The league, which folded in 2003, budgeted $40 million to finance its first five years of operation. It consumed $100 million in the first three.

Quote:
WPS can't tweet its way past the economy, which has hurts sports sponsorships. The LPGA, for instance, has had to drop a couple of tournaments because sponsors did. Though Antonucci says WPS is negotiating with consumer products companies, to date the league has only signed two national sponsors: Puma and Hint, a bottled water brand. It had expected five by now.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/29/09 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, it would also worry me slightly that I couldn't find today's game on ESPN.com/Soccernet's fixtures page for today when I was looking for the kick-off time earlier, and that the site I use for links to somewhat non-legal streams of games doesn't even have a listing for it either.

I know I'm not in the US, but it just feels like there should be more interest in an inaugural game, somehow.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: