RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WPS rosters shaping up on the eve of the season

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bullsky

PostPosted: 01/20/09 12:45 am    ::: WPS rosters shaping up on the eve of the season Reply Reply with quote

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=611102&sec=us&root=us&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1&&&cc=5901
Quote:
Women's Professional Soccer will hold its inaugural game on March 29 as the Los Angeles Sol host the Washington Freedom. The rest of the league will begin its 20-game season the following week.

Here's a look at all seven teams in the new league following the recent international and college drafts...

PostPosted: 01/20/09 12:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wonder if Kelly Smith is going to be willing to walk away from her job and her season at Arsenal (right in the middle) to join up with this league. Same applies to most of the other non-Americans - March isn't the best time to be kicking off the season when most other leagues run September-May (ish).

bullsky

PostPosted: 01/20/09 1:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Wonder if Kelly Smith is going to be willing to walk away from her job and her season at Arsenal (right in the middle) to join up with this league. Same applies to most of the other non-Americans - March isn't the best time to be kicking off the season when most other leagues run September-May (ish).

Well, they've got Marta, and people tend to follow the big fish. We'll see though. I hope the WPS gets some international flavor. That's missing the WNBA as of late.

PostPosted: 01/20/09 1:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Well, they've got Marta, and people tend to follow the big fish. We'll see though. I hope the WPS gets some international flavor. That's missing the WNBA as of late.

Me too, I hope some of the big international players decide to come over to the WPS. I'm glad Marta has decided to join the LA Sol, I can't wait to see her in an LA Sol uniform and ballin it up in the Home Depot Center Very Happy

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/20/09 2:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Yeah, but Marta (a native Brazilian) gets to leave a small town on the East coast of Sweden to move to LA; Kelly would be leaving home (yet again) to move from cold, wet North London to... cold, wet Boston Wink.

I would think a fair bit of it will come down to numbers for most of the players, but I have no idea what they're on now or what WPS is intending to pay, so who knows (most of them are on pretty close to absolutely nothing at the minute though, so maybe WPS will look attractive). Undoubtedly the trade Boston just made to acquire Alex Scott was in the hope that having two England/Arsenal players on the same team would encourage them both to show up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: