RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Question about Russia/Georgia conflict and Hammon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
STLnTDOT

PostPosted: 08/13/08 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I think this sets up a very awkward situation if this war between Russia and Georgia goes even a couple of weeks longer, unless Hammon can completely hide evidence of Russian citizenship (which I imagine would be tricky if she's taking an Olympic medal through customs).

Something tells me that at least the big teams have friends in high places so that they could get their favorite toys back into the country and start the game again, even if relations between the US and Russia are strained. It's the mid-level teams that would take the hit- for example, I would think Janel McCarville will get to head over to CSKA, but I'm not so sure Shameka Christon will be able to report to Orenburg. And of course you'll have a couple scared off by the thought of danger, as used to happen with the Israeli league.

Wait... you are saying the USA customs wont let her through or she may have issues cause she may have a Olympic medal won on a Russian team?

Wow.

anyway....

CB

PostPosted: 08/13/08 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
No one is blaming anyone for playing in Russia. People are blaming certain people who value their team in Russia, more than their own national team.

BS and your hate is showing.

You miss the point as well.

potd41

PostPosted: 08/13/08 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="HotForHammon"]
potd41 wrote:
azmindwalk wrote:
[But when she comes home it will be to San Antonio and here she is being treated by the locals and covered by the media as a local athlete that the city is VERY proud of to have represent us in Bejing.]

How do you figure she is representing YOU in Beijing. she's playing for RUSSIA Rolling Eyes

I simply mean she is an American and currently a San Antonio resident. Her very presence over there and how she conducts herfelf is a reflection on the US and the Silver Stars so by extension she does represent us. Notice the game artilces all say American Becky Hammon or San Antonio Silver Stars guard Becky Hammon and then follow it up with the story.
I'm not saying everyone here supports her decision but I can say I have only seen one negative letter to the editor and for that letter they got a flood of letters in support. Even the local media has been covering her as one of our own and really throwing support her way and so far every TV station has come out telling San Antonio we should be proud of her no matter what the jersery says.
Gold, silver or bronze most around here will be pretty happy for her and thrilled it took an American to help Russia win medal if they do indeed get that far, and if she comes home with no medal we will still be proud of her and thrilled she got to experience what few people get to experience.

I suppose, but I still don't agree with her decision Razz

PostPosted: 08/13/08 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="potd41"]
HotForHammon wrote:
potd41 wrote:
azmindwalk wrote:
[But when she comes home it will be to San Antonio and here she is being treated by the locals and covered by the media as a local athlete that the city is VERY proud of to have represent us in Bejing.]

How do you figure she is representing YOU in Beijing. she's playing for RUSSIA Rolling Eyes

I simply mean she is an American and currently a San Antonio resident. Her very presence over there and how she conducts herfelf is a reflection on the US and the Silver Stars so by extension she does represent us. Notice the game artilces all say American Becky Hammon or San Antonio Silver Stars guard Becky Hammon and then follow it up with the story.
I'm not saying everyone here supports her decision but I can say I have only seen one negative letter to the editor and for that letter they got a flood of letters in support. Even the local media has been covering her as one of our own and really throwing support her way and so far every TV station has come out telling San Antonio we should be proud of her no matter what the jersery says.
Gold, silver or bronze most around here will be pretty happy for her and thrilled it took an American to help Russia win medal if they do indeed get that far, and if she comes home with no medal we will still be proud of her and thrilled she got to experience what few people get to experience.

I suppose, but I still don't agree with her decision Razz

That's cool. I have heard directly from the source that she ok with people not agreeing with her decision. Wink

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 08/13/08 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Simple google searches of "Medvedev human rights" and "Putin human rights" bring up an awful lot of info. I am no expert on these matters. And one can argue that our government's record in this area is also poor.

In interviews with Becky, it is clear that she shies away from political issues. And that's fine. In the end it is still the same story. It's still basketball. Some people support her. Some don't. Some are in the middle. There have been ongoing issues with Russia and human rights. Becky not being political-minded, the current conflict does nothing much to change anything.

azmindwalk

PostPosted: 08/14/08 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[I find it hypocritical to bash Becky while your own team is in Beijing and half your players play on big bad Russian professional teams in the WNBA offseason.]

I think that the point of the post was missed here........I wasn't criticizing Becky for playing for a team whose country has human rights issues...........I don't CARE who she plays for or what she does in the off-season. I was speaking specifically and particularly about the OLYMPICS, which is NOT just "another tournament," ok?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: