RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Synchronized Diving

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ulynxfan

PostPosted: 08/12/08 7:28 pm    ::: Synchronized Diving Reply Reply with quote

I just saw some of the most subjective judging bullcrap that i've ever seen in an event. wow! They have 7 judges from different countries, and this thing just looks rigged.

abontorab9

PostPosted: 08/12/08 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I completely agree.

I will just randomly turn the Olympics on and whatever sport happens to be on, I will watch. I have never seen synchronized diving, nor will I again in the future unless I stumble upon it as I said above. But from watching that match, it is clear that the judging is subjective.

Some awful, awful scores handed out.

This is why I only like definitively won events (basketball, soccer, swimming, etc.) that is not determined by judges.

Thrillrider08

PostPosted: 08/12/08 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agreed! Gymnastics and Diving are the easiest sports to cheat at.

WE ARE CHAMPIONS!!!!!

http://twitter.com/TravisInIndy
Sass

PostPosted: 08/13/08 1:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The men last night didn't get it as bad as the women did tonight. Damn - some of those duos just got robbed. The Russian judge was giving the lowest marks. Gave the US a 4.5 on one dive when other judges were giving them 7's and 8's. What a crock of crap.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
Thrillrider08

PostPosted: 08/13/08 1:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:
The men last night didn't get it as bad as the women did tonight. Damn - some of those duos just got robbed. The Russian judge was giving the lowest marks. Gave the US a 4.5 on one dive when other judges were giving them 7's and 8's. What a crock of crap.

You realize that the highest and lowest scores are dropped right? But I understand what you're saying, I've been complaining about judges in diving and gymnastics for awhile now.

WE ARE CHAMPIONS!!!!!

http://twitter.com/TravisInIndy
Sass

PostPosted: 08/13/08 1:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thrillrider08 wrote:
Sass wrote:

You realize that the highest and lowest scores are dropped right? But I understand what you're saying, I've been complaining about judges in diving and gymnastics for awhile now.

Oh I know, as that's been a long-held Olympic rule. But to have someone even think about giving a 4.5 for a dive like that is just ridiculous.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
SayTownSpurs

PostPosted: 08/13/08 10:36 am    ::: Re: Synchronized Diving Reply Reply with quote

ulynxfan wrote:
I just saw some of the most subjective judging bullcrap that i've ever seen in an event. wow! They have 7 judges from different countries, and this thing just looks rigged.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way.

www.myspace.com/nothingmoremusic
Scarab

PostPosted: 08/13/08 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are you talking about the execution scores/judges or the synch scores/judges?

In addition to the high and low scores being dropped, the first four scores/judges are for execution only...how well, technically, the dive was executed. The rest (majority) of the scores/judges are for synchronization.

So, as the NBC commentators pointed out, even if the dive was technically crap, if both divers crapped the same way/together they could get high synch scores which could keep the overall score high.

(Even with that said it's still subjective...don't even get me started on the gymnastics judges taking forever to release scores because the head judge, instead of relying on what the judges on the floor saw/judged, reviews video replays of the performances ad nauseum and at times will change scores...ugh)

shrrew

PostPosted: 08/13/08 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was very impressed with the Chinese sync scores. They did look like one diver throughout the entire execution of their dives. The mexican team was a nice surprise. Wish TeamUSA had done a little better.

I am not convinced that the judging was that subjective. It is obvious when the divers are in sync and when they are not. It is obvious if the divers have correctly executed the dive. There are specific criterion for both. It's not like there was an 'artistic' element which would be entirely subjective....

PostPosted: 08/13/08 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shrrew wrote:
I was very impressed with the Chinese sync scores. They did look like one diver throughout the entire execution of their dives. The mexican team was a nice surprise. Wish TeamUSA had done a little better.

I am not convinced that the judging was that subjective. It is obvious when the divers are in sync and when they are not. It is obvious if the divers have correctly executed the dive. There are specific criterion for both. It's not like there was an 'artistic' element which would be entirely subjective....

yep...good point

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: