RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Question for Foreigners...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bludev03

PostPosted: 08/08/08 1:29 pm    ::: Question for Foreigners... Reply Reply with quote

I know there are a lot of Aussies on this board. I was wondering what are the people of Australia's perception of USA players and the USA style of play?

From much of the international ball I've seen, the other countries aren't as fluid (especially handling the ball), don't have any shake-n-bake moves (like the And1 moves, etc), and most seem to struggle creating shots or getting to the basket 1 on 1, 1 on 2. On fast breaks, most seem to either take the pull-up jumper or wait for teammates. There's no question it's completely different styles, skill sets, and priorities than the USA's.

I don't know if it's a difference of priority on skill sets placed by the respective individual countries? Or if it's because in USA, a lot of players play streetball/backyard ball with the guys? Maybe even because the USA places a high premium on individual play and individual skill development?

I'm curious to find out your thoughts....

gpark33

PostPosted: 08/08/08 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No offense, but I am not sure how many people are going to be willing to participate in a thread where they are referred to as "Foreigners".

PostPosted: 08/08/08 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
No offense, but I am not sure how many people are going to be willing to participate in a thread where they are referred to as "Foreigners".

Are they Americans? If you're not an American and you are in the American's house, then you are a "Foreigner", which means: 1.
a person not native to or naturalized in the country or jurisdiction under consideration, 2. a person from outside one's community, 3. a thing produced in or brought from a foreign country . Get it Idea ???
Btw, is this an American board or an Australian board? I'm new here, so I don't know - but I think it's an American...

If you don't want to participate, then don't participate! It's that simple... Idea

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 08/08/08 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's actually a women's basketball board with servers in the United States owned by an American based fan with moderators from the US and Australia (IIRC)...

Posters are mostly a US population, though there's a very vocal band of fans from outside the 50. Primarily the discussion is of US basketball. But the interest spreads to Euro-league etc.

Dunno how posters feel about calling this an Amercan 'House"

PostPosted: 08/08/08 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
It's actually a women's basketball board with servers in the United States owned by an American based fan with moderators from the US and Australia (IIRC)...

Posters are mostly a US population, though there's a very vocal band of fans from outside the 50. Primarily the discussion is of US basketball. But the interest spreads to Euro-league etc.

Dunno how posters feel about calling this an Amercan 'House"

Thanks. I didn't know that. One reason why I said Foreigners was to include those who are from countries other than Australia. The Aussies are the most prevalent posters on this board; there may be others from other countries, but I haven't seen them (although I haven't been on here long)

gpark33

PostPosted: 08/08/08 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bludev03 wrote:
Are they Americans? If you're not an American and you are in the American's house, then you are a "Foreigner", which means: 1.
a person not native to or naturalized in the country or jurisdiction under consideration, 2. a person from outside one's community, 3. a thing produced in or brought from a foreign country . Get it Idea ???
Btw, is this an American board or an Australian board? I'm new here, so I don't know - but I think it's an American...

If you don't want to participate, then don't participate! It's that simple... Idea

Yes, I am also familiar with dictionary.com. If you keep going you will find...

Quote:
alien in character; irrelevant or inappropriate; remote. strange or unfamiliar.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to start a fight. 1 - the web is a worldwide experience so to come across as if anything non-US is foreign is rude (not to mention in a forum devoted to the Olympics). 2 - the term foreign is not exactly the most PC term amongst the international community.

PostPosted: 08/08/08 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

when we are lucky to get a game on ESPN - we watch.
otherwise it is streaming off the net.
biggest difference I note is the USA players are a little more capable of doing the extreme athletic feats - (only the top end players). parker/ nolan / whalen / DT - however erin phillips / penny taylor / LJ etc are also great athletes as well - rohanee cox is one to watch for the future.
USA has more top shelf players than aust (just because of more people?)
but the aussie top shelf players are just as good as what team USA presents.

I have not seen the USA girls play this year so i am commenting on W / college games.
since returning from sun camp jess foley has torn up the local league - so what ever hapens in teh northern hemisphere must be good.

all of the top shelf players are talented and can adapt - so maybe we should look at coaching / game plans / trainings to compare.

doesn't really answer your question - cause both teams are champions in their own right Very Happy
Shed

PostPosted: 08/08/08 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Foreigner?

"If Seattle decides to sit Wright, Little and Stricklen for the majority of the season for stuffy noses, ingrown toenails and acid reflux you can start talking about shams." psheehy
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/08/08 7:44 pm    ::: Re: Question for Foreigners... Reply Reply with quote

bludev03 wrote:
I know there are a lot of Aussies on this board. I was wondering what are the people of Australia's perception of USA players and the USA style of play?

I take it you are referring to mens basketball with this question?
You'd better clarify, because my answers would be quite different.

(btw, no offence at all here about being called a foreigner. In this place I am one.)

Location: Outer loop of the Capital Beltway heading towards the new National Zoo

PostPosted: 08/08/08 8:02 pm    ::: Re: Question for Foreigners... Reply Reply with quote

whatsamatta u? we don't call no one foreigner - they called aliens... Laughing

PostPosted: 08/08/08 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aliens?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: