RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

FIBA Diamond Ball Tournament for Women
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caune

PostPosted: 08/06/08 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ahhhhhhh

It's a TEAM sport not an all star game

I feel better now Wink

PostPosted: 08/06/08 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
This is like saying that I (and Whalen) should get a job even though I didn't show up for the interview! That's crazy. Heck, if I'd worked in a company before and had a good resume, then yes, I can see skipping a couple training sessions if some other work came up, but if I'm a newcomer and don't show up at the informational meeting, then I'm not going to get the position.

Where I come from if you had a good EXCUSE or REASON to not be able attend it would be understandable. If you broke your leg the day you got hired are going to go to work? Or one of your family members died are you going to go to work the day of a funeral? I find the non sense stupid, hypocritical and slimy but then again my work is very family orientated and I live in a state that's Minnesota nice I see were USA basketball stands.

Want your bad romance

http://www.elyricsworld.com/bad_romance_lyrics_lady_gaga.html
norwester

PostPosted: 08/06/08 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think USAB needs to justify anything to us. They have a process that the players were aware of, and they followed it.

We saw none of their practices. We didn't personally interact with the team or players. Hopefully they did. I really do believe that Whalen may appear on the next team if that's what she wants.

Meanwhile, good reasons for not doing something are fine. But in a highly competitive posting, if you have more chance to see one person over another, it ultimately doesn't matter what the first person's excuses were...you just can't overlook the value you see in front of you.

I think caune said it best in that they're building a team. It's understandable that Whalen made the choices she did. But it's equally understandable from a "team" stand-point that USAB made the choices they did: players who'd spent more time working out with one another were going to find cohesion as a team more quickly.

If Whalen wants it, she'll get her chance. She seems more at peace about the whole thing than Beard. Where's her fan club? Wink

PostPosted: 08/06/08 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

STLnTDOT wrote:
*Unspeakably revolting avatar*

For pity's sake. What could possibly make a person stoop so low?

PostPosted: 08/06/08 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's what I was wondering Confused

What's done is done. Surely now is the time to get behind your team.
I can't even remember the last time I said anything bad about Jan Stirling. Now that's restraint Wink

PostPosted: 08/07/08 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

STLnTDOT wrote:
Oh please! Bird, Taurasi, Parker, and Leslie were going to be on the team regardless! I think they would have taken Parker if her shoulder completely ripped off and if Leslie was pregnant again! They were going to be on regardless!

And thats fine, they are 4 of the best players in the world and deserve to be on the team

Everyone is quick to bring up Hammon when I post here... fine.. doesnt matter but you make yourself look pretty stupid when Im not even talking about her but then turn around and bring her into the conversation yourself. And you guys are the ones that complain about us Hammonites bringing her up too much Rolling Eyes

My opinion on Lawson will not change regardless of what is said here (and I know Im not alone on that) And it wouldnt matter to me if in the Gold medal game lawson has a triple double! I would still feel the exact same way about her selection.

I dont think Team USA is going to have an easy walk to the gold medal, I think the Aussies are going to put up one hell of a fight.

And... I dont think Lawson is going to be as much help as other players may have been.

Also... thank GOD they took Big Syl onto the squad cause if they hadnt, I may have really been blowing gaskets!

Yeah my opinion of Whalen won't change either. She is clearly having a fluke of a year. Rolling Eyes
I'm try to figure out if you are just naive or so biased that you don't get it. If you don't play by the rules, you don't make the team. All new players SIGNED paperwork saying they would committ to 3 competitive events with USA from Sept.- May and they were told if they didn't, then they wouldn't be considered for the team. Lindsay didn't go to three, so she didn't make the team. It's her own fault. Blame her for failing to show up, instead of insulting the people who followed the rules.

STLnTDOT

PostPosted: 08/07/08 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ladeeda wrote:

Yeah my opinion of Whalen won't change either. She is clearly having a fluke of a year. Rolling Eyes
I'm try to figure out if you are just naive or so biased that you don't get it. If you don't play by the rules, you don't make the team. All new players SIGNED paperwork saying they would committ to 3 competitive events with USA from Sept.- May and they were told if they didn't, then they wouldn't be considered for the team. Lindsay didn't go to three, so she didn't make the team. It's her own fault. Blame her for failing to show up, instead of insulting the people who followed the rules.

My opinion doesnt change... other players should have had a decent shot at it. But everyone pretty much knew Lawson was in.

You tell me... if Lawson had a triple double against the Aussies... would you be shocked? I sure as hell would be and would put everything I own on she could never do it again

Shed

PostPosted: 08/07/08 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
I can't even remember the last time I said anything bad about Jan Stirling. Now that's restraint Wink

Yeah me too. What's with that? Laughing

"If Seattle decides to sit Wright, Little and Stricklen for the majority of the season for stuffy noses, ingrown toenails and acid reflux you can start talking about shams." psheehy
luvDhoops

PostPosted: 08/07/08 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

STLnTDOT wrote:
ladeeda wrote:

My opinion doesnt change... other players should have had a decent shot at it. But everyone pretty much knew Lawson was in.

You tell me... if Lawson had a triple double against the Aussies... would you be shocked? I sure as hell would be and would put everything I own on she could never do it again

Not that I have a dog in this fight, but I'd be shocked if anyone put up a triple double against the Aussies or anyone else, not even DT or Parker.

PostPosted: 08/07/08 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shed wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Yeah me too. What's with that? Laughing

damn, she done hypnotized ya'll with that shiny gold world championship medal Wink

#NATC

PostPosted: 08/07/08 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

STLnTDOT wrote:
if Lawson had a triple double against the Aussies... would you be shocked? I sure as hell would be

I'd be shocked too.
The players at the bottom of the roster are normally chosen in the knowledge that they will play very limited minutes. The selectors identify specific roles that need to be filled, and pick based on those.
So Kara really has no business playing enough minutes to get a triple-double. Plus if I'm the USA, there are plenty of others ahead of the lower bench players who I would look to for scoring, and one of the smallest on the court isn't going to be the one expected to pull in 10 rebounds.
Lack of a pecking order was one of the main downfalls of the USA team in 2006 IMO.

In other words I guess what I'm saying is that STLnTDOT, I disagree with you, everything you say & do here lately seems to be fuelled by bitterness and some kind of badly misguided vengeance, and IMO you would probably get a lot more out of the next 2 weeks by putting some positive energy behind those you are supposedly supporting.

PostPosted: 08/07/08 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
She is clearly having a fluke of a year.

Ten to one Whalen will getting better and better every year she is more consistent then Kara will ever be and ten to one Lawson will continue to be on decline. But go ahead and think this year is a fluke for Whalen that is just ignorance on your part. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
All new players SIGNED paperwork saying they would committ to 3 competitive events with USA from Sept.- May and they were told if they didn't, then they wouldn't be considered for the team. Lindsay didn't go to three, so she didn't make the team. It's her own fault. Blame her for failing to show up, instead of insulting the people who followed the rules

I like how everyone expects Lindsay to get star treatment and try to out her commitment overseas. Rolling Eyes Don't blame this on her if you going to extend an invite don't do it when she injured or has a commitment overseas she can't get out of. Not every team allows their players to leave in the middle of the season just to return home to play for USA. Russia might allow it but apparently the Czech Republic didn't. This is hardly her fault she couldn't get out of these things and didn't have control over it. USA Basketball should be a shamed of them self for trying to push this blame on her when they know they are at fault to and not even giving her a bit of leeway or any time to explain.

Want your bad romance

http://www.elyricsworld.com/bad_romance_lyrics_lady_gaga.html
kage

PostPosted: 08/07/08 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopherfan wrote:
Quote:
She is clearly having a fluke of a year.

Ten to one Whalen will getting better and better every year she is more consistent then Kara will ever be and ten to one Lawson will continue to be on decline. But go ahead and think this year is a fluke for Whalen that is just ignorance on your part. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
All new players SIGNED paperwork saying they would committ to 3 competitive events with USA from Sept.- May and they were told if they didn't, then they wouldn't be considered for the team. Lindsay didn't go to three, so she didn't make the team. It's her own fault. Blame her for failing to show up, instead of insulting the people who followed the rules

I like how everyone expects Lindsay to get star treatment and try to out her commitment overseas. Rolling Eyes Don't blame this on her if you going to extend an invite don't do it when she injured or has a commitment overseas she can't get out of. Not every team allows their players to leave in the middle of the season just to return home to play for USA. Russia might allow it but apparently the Czech Republic didn't. This is hardly her fault she couldn't get out of these things and didn't have control over it. USA Basketball should be a shamed of them self for trying to push this blame on her when they know they are at fault to and not even giving her a bit of leeway or any time to explain.

Russia didn't. And doesn't. Seimone Augustus "told" them by NOT SHOWING UP. They weren't going to let her leave (and in fact, they didn't; Seimone broke her contract and thus, will now be playing in another country instead of for Dynamo Moscow).

Janel McCarville begged her team owner to go enough that he felt compelled to let her go to the Europe tournament. I'll grant that DT and SB are big enough "stars" that the team owner lets them do their thing as long as they come back afterward. In fact, I'm fairly certain that in that tournament, DT and SB played for the US against Spartak (their Russian team).

This isn't a blame thing. Whalen made her choices and has continued to espouse these priorities for the past 5 years.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/07/08 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Exactly. It doesn't make anyone a better or worse person, it's just a matter of where their personal priorities sit. The rules have been set, so abide by them or don't, but you can't reasonably expect to ignore them and still be selected. That kinda defeats the purpose of having any in the first place.

If the Team USA requirements are too harsh then people have every right to speak up about that and give their opinion, but doing so the week that the games open might be leaving things just a little bit late!

PostPosted: 08/07/08 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jeez, did Batkovic and Harrower sneak onto the boards? Oh, wait, that's just some unaccountably bitter Whalen fans whining. Rolling Eyes

I heard from a reputable source in my head that Whalen wasn't selected because when LLL asked if she would pull Aussie hair she responded that she would not.

Actually, on a more serious note, Whalen is having an excellent season and has a bright career ahead of her. I'm happy that she's playing over seas and getting International experience. This will only help her cause with the National Team in the future, if indeed that's something she wants to pursue. I understand the disappointment that she's not on the team this time around, but that doesn't make anything negative about USAB not choosing her for the team true. It is legitimate to wonder about the process, but that's not very productive the week of competition.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17

Jump to: