RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Jackson to be fit for Olympics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bullsky

PostPosted: 08/02/08 4:53 pm    ::: Jackson to be fit for Olympics Reply Reply with quote

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=207187&cl=9060007&ch=6527422&src=sports

PostPosted: 08/02/08 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I clicked on the link and it brought up a video diary of LLL. I thought, what kind of cruel joke is this?! Leading a Lauren Jackson fan to a video blog of her arch nemesis. Laughing Then I figured it out. Embarassed

PostPosted: 08/02/08 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, sorry. I fixed the link. No jokes here. Wink

PostPosted: 08/02/08 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LJ wrote:
It looks like I will survive.

Hee hee... good onya.

PostPosted: 08/03/08 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll admit, I was a touch worried when I heard they'd administered a cortisone shot to facilitate her recovery. This is solely based on on the following article in the Seattle Times post-Athens:
Jackson plays near and far, but is it too much?

Quote:
"When she had both of those cortisone shots it concerned me greatly because it's not our way," Donovan said. "It's not the way we do things over here. Professional athletes know now they can't do that to their bodies. Lauren was relatively healthy when she was here. Then I saw her in Athens and she told me she had the first injection and then when she told me she had the second injection a day later. I was just incredulous.

"I thought, 'How could this be happening? I've only lost sight of you for a couple of days.' It's scary when you start hearing that. She told me it was the head doctor from the Australian team. And he said it was OK. But he's just trying to get her through the Olympics. I'm trying to get her through this season. You wonder how compatible all those philosophies are."

But frankly, LJ sounds very upbeat, so I'm just going into denial and believing it. What do I know about sports medicine, anyway? I mean, Swin Cash is reportedly getting frequent cortisone shots in her back. So you'd think one in LJ's ankle wouldn't be a giant issue.

Anyone here know more about the various issues surrounding cortisone treatments?

PostPosted: 08/03/08 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm studying sports medicine in college, however I have yet to go in depth about cortisone shots. I do know that they're intended to reduce inflammation in an area. I don't believe they are anything that would cause the athlete to sit out or anything. You get the shot, the inflammation goes down, you play. Like Cash, though, frequent shots may be necessary to keep the inflammation down.

www.myspace.com/nothingmoremusic
Future Mrs. Hammon

PostPosted: 08/03/08 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SayTownSpurs wrote:
I'm studying sports medicine in college, however I have yet to go in depth about cortisone shots. I do know that they're intended to reduce inflammation in an area. I don't believe they are anything that would cause the athlete to sit out or anything. You get the shot, the inflammation goes down, you play. Like Cash, though, frequent shots may be necessary to keep the inflammation down.

Hey SayT, I don't know if you know anything about this, but I've heard that athletes who depend on cortisone shots--which reduce inflammation and therefore maybe alleviate a lot of the pain--can actually be doing damage because they are putting more stress and strain on their body when it would be much better to be resting and recooperating, and therefore making their ailments worse?

Becky Hammon: "Yikes, I don't know. I hope it fits in my overhead compartment. But I guarantee I'm getting stopped at security."

LLL + CP3 = 15-12 (BITE ME COACH COOP!)

Who says there's no "Dunkin' Donuts" in L.A.!!!

Anne Donovan is the real American Traitor...
SayTownSpurs

PostPosted: 08/03/08 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Future Mrs. Hammon wrote:
Hey SayT, I don't know if you know anything about this, but I've heard that athletes who depend on cortisone shots--which reduce inflammation and therefore maybe alleviate a lot of the pain--can actually be doing damage because they are putting more stress and strain on their body when it would be much better to be resting and recooperating, and therefore making their ailments worse?

I don't know for sure, but that would make a lot of sense. And I'm not sure if Swin or LJ depend heavily on the shots or what...but I'd like to think that the doctors wouldn't let them continue playing if they relied too much on them.

www.myspace.com/nothingmoremusic
Future Mrs. Hammon

PostPosted: 08/03/08 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SayTownSpurs wrote:

I don't know for sure, but that would make a lot of sense. And I'm not sure if Swin or LJ depend heavily on the shots or what...but I'd like to think that the doctors wouldn't let them continue playing if they relied too much on them.

Depends on how much doctors make to "clear" athletes for play maybe???

Just wonderin'...

Becky Hammon: "Yikes, I don't know. I hope it fits in my overhead compartment. But I guarantee I'm getting stopped at security."

LLL + CP3 = 15-12 (BITE ME COACH COOP!)

Who says there's no "Dunkin' Donuts" in L.A.!!!

Anne Donovan is the real American Traitor...
LdyVolsFn

PostPosted: 08/03/08 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SayTownSpurs wrote:

It is really a temporary fix. I am an Athletic Trainer and the shots can be used to get a player through a big game or something. They are not a solution to the cause of the inflammation in the first place. Repeated injections over long periods are harmful and can have negative side effects. They use should be monitored and reserved for certain situations.

LakotaStorm

PostPosted: 08/03/08 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That is because they eat away at inflamed tissue, that is what causes the inflammation to go down, that is why they limit the shots, not to mention the long term side effects from steroids. having them directly into the injured area is not as bad on your organs as taking oral ones, but it all eventually finds it's way into your blood then into your organs.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

"My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: