RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Basketball Players
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PennyTfan1

PostPosted: 08/12/05 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
PennyTfan1 wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:
at least one technical/game

Shocked

It's called the Taurasi syndrome. I never fouled anyone, I was always fouled Wink

I was just surprised. You don't seem the type to EVER question an official's call. Wink

I was the opposite. I always managed to stay clear of fouls so late in games, the second the whislte blew, my duty was to immediately raise my hand as if the foul was going to be on me. It actually worked quite a lot. The refs would see my hand in the air and give the foul to me rather than the guy who had committed the foul but was playing with 4.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 08/12/05 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
PennyTfan1 wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:
at least one technical/game

Shocked

It's called the Taurasi syndrome. I never fouled anyone, I was always fouled Wink

I thought that was Ford/Malone syndrome!

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/12/05 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have found it to be much easier to foul someone and get away with it when I play shirtless...

dtsnms

PostPosted: 08/12/05 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
I have found it to be much easier to foul someone and get away with it when I play shirtless...

That's cause when you foul someone they just think you're coming on to them! Embarassed

PennyTfan1

PostPosted: 08/12/05 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

That's cause when you foul someone they just think you're coming on to them! Embarassed

or they get a look at the physique and become worried that the next time, they will get fouled even harder. Shocked

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 08/13/05 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cam, the one thing I could NEVER do is create my own shot. Either I was open (usually behind the arc) and I'd fire away, or I'd need someone to set me a pick.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/13/05 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ryan2528 wrote:
Cam, the one thing I could NEVER do is create my own shot. Either I was open (usually behind the arc) and I'd fire away, or I'd need someone to set me a pick.

Oh oh, I could at least set a mean pick. At least for an undersized fifth-grader.

jovany

PostPosted: 08/13/05 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Being in Belize, I doubt we have as many opportunities to play organized basketball as you who are in the US.

I played shooting guard for four years in high school. I played shooting/point guard for four years in college, and I now play shooting guard for my company in an inter office league.

My strenghts? I've always loved to shoot (and make) the three. I'm around 40% at average from three. I usually lead my teams in scoring, and steals, sometimes in assists, but unfortunately turnovers too lol

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 08/13/05 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ryan2528 wrote:

Let me tell you, watching The Baby and Dahntay Jones have really helped in learning how to create space.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 08/13/05 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Playground after high school for years. No life dead end late teens early twenties. Pool hall in the winter. Basketball all summer. Tall for that crowd at 6'. I don't know how to say it any other way. the jammer was not really that skilled except for shooting and driving to the basket, not a good handle at all but nevertheless don't remember not being able to shake those bums with athleticism. That really was my strong point. I was just a little bigger and a lot quicker, faster, great hops. Good defender. Out of a dozen guys I was either the best or second best player, depending on whether me or my best friend, Rob, had the worst hangover. But ballhandling, fundamentals, and court awareness, head for the game, would have been absolutely hopeless on any real competitive level. Of course I never worked on that stuff, only my shot and my moves to the bucket.

But you have to understand the era. I watch NBA games from say, the 60s on ESPN classic, and those guys weren't advanced technically at all. It's funny, actually, to see everyone dribbling with ONLY their right hand. Shocked

PostPosted: 08/13/05 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was in high school pre Title 9, so there wasn't a basketball team for girls. I played in grammar school & junior high & some pick up games since. I have always been a good shooter, but my speed is best described by my nickname in softball leagues: snowshoes Laughing

KatValeska

PostPosted: 08/13/05 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was a backup center in high school, and I really, really sucked.

Then, at about the age of 26 I started playing every day with a friend who had been a solid college player. So, by the time I hit 30 I was playing by far the best ball of my life and could hold my own against most any other street baller.

Stopped playing again at about 36, then joined a rec league several years ago, and was amazed at how much I'd dropped off., so I gave it up again after that summer.

Started hitting a court again this summer, but now at 43, I really, really suck again.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 08/13/05 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I played soccer Shocked

I never played, but I always liked basketball, since when I grew up during the Run TMC days of the GSW Warriors in the Bay Area. I still remember seeing those commercials for the McDonald's "Tim and Chris Burger", or as Mullin called it, the "Chris and Tim Burger". I started getting back into bball after college though, after the '99 season when I saw the Knicks play the Spurs at MSG in the Finals.

Playing-wise, I've just been playing pickup games when on vacation. The best place no doubt is at the Skate Park outside Seattle Center, right below the Space Needle. It's like a backdrop for one of those old video games where you compete 1 on 1 in front of something famous Razz I'm 6'2", so I summon the spirit of Svetlana Abrosimova everytime I play Razz I've even copied her famous high dribble and free throw style..

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 08/13/05 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was wierd being a 6' point guard this year because all my coach wanted me to do was post up my defender. All I wanted to do was shoot threes. That led to reduced playing time. After awhile I just stayed back for defense and tried not to turn the ball over and avoid shooting all together because if I missed I'd come out. In OT of the quaterfinals I fired up a long three, which was the the first shot I took all game and drained it while my coach was yelling don't shoot. That was probably my favorite basketball moment. We won that game by 1 Very Happy

frenchy

PostPosted: 08/17/05 4:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ryan2528, man, I went through something similar. I was most comfy at 2-guard but got moved to #3 in college because our best player played that spot. I was best at shooting 3-balls but couldn't set myself up outside the arc too often now that I had to scissor in and out of the lane and was expected to help out in rebounding. Frustrating times. I saw a lot of the bench that year.

kinkitola

PostPosted: 08/17/05 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i played the 1 in high school. i was better at bringing the ball up the court and setting people up than i was at shooting or creating my own shot. i loved playing defense. i was the debbie black of the team.

now if i play its just at the gym with a bunch of my brothers friends. i miss the more organized feel of it tho.

PostPosted: 08/17/05 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I played basketball in high school and was the starting point guard on our senior school team the two years that I tried out to play at that level. I had a decent long range shot but was more of a defensive player. We also had some a pretty good centre and shooting guard so I was happy to give them the ball and rack up assists.

Our senior team had a string of dodgy coaches which at the time sucked but looking back on it now makes for some funny stories.

In yr11 our coach was obsessed with zone defence and that was pretty much all we played (surprised we made it into the second round of the play offs that way). She also had this tendency of saying weird things to me whenever I was on the bench and one time almost ran me over in her car (which I'm sure was intentional Razz).

In yr12 we were going to have a former WNBL player coach us... but some girl on the team suggested her brother (he was studying human movement and had to coach a team for a project) so we got lumped with Mr. Shooting Drills and Suicides (not that he could get me to run those Razz ) who rarely turned up to games, and when he did was too busy talking to his friends or reading the paper. Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: