RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Mystics Got No Quit In 'Em!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ripleydc

PostPosted: 08/14/05 5:11 pm    ::: Mystics Got No Quit In 'Em! Reply Reply with quote

first...Congrats to the Sun!

but, who'd a thunk it that the mystics would make a game of this one? wow, 19 pts down at one point and THEY DIDN'T QUIT!! I'm proud of my girls. they sure gave the fans at the reservation enough excitement for the ticket price.

give the mystics a year or two with a REAL coach like Richie and a REAL genl mgr like Linda, and some stability in their lineup, and they TOO could be a balanced, well-oiled machine like the Sun. playoffs or no playoffs this year, this mystics team is a CONTENDA!

bigsportzbabe

PostPosted: 08/14/05 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
give the mystics a year or two with a REAL coach like Richie and a REAL genl mgr like Linda, and some stability in their lineup, and they TOO could be a balanced, well-oiled machine like the Sun. playoffs or no playoffs this year, this mystics team is a CONTENDA!

hey Rip...don`t forget the new lockerroom

PostPosted: 08/14/05 6:35 pm    ::: Re: Mystics Got No Quit In 'Em! Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:

but, who'd a thunk it that the mystics would make a game of this one? wow, 19 pts down at one point and THEY DIDN'T QUIT!! I'm proud of my girls. they sure gave the fans at the reservation enough excitement for the ticket price.

They may have Sophia Young next season too...

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 08/14/05 7:03 pm    ::: Re: Mystics Got No Quit In 'Em! Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
ripleydc wrote:

They may have Sophia Young next season too...

From what I've seen of them this season (two games in person, two on TV) Mystics need a legit center more than they need another really good power forward. Are there any legit centers in next year's draft?

The Sun game was fun to watch, but also weird if you're used to watching the Lynx, or even the Storm: there were no centers. Nobody clogged up the paint, nobody focused on defensive rebounding, nobody created matchup problems inside. Taj was magnificently Taj, but she's still a power forward: without Margo, this was the Sun team we had last year, and I remember why most people were surprised by their success.

Note to Adubato: you should press more.

Note to Thibault: your starters should be able to handle a press.

Note to Milton-Jones: you're still a dirty player, but you're worth a lot to your team.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 08/14/05 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, once the Mystics get a deeper bench and a real SF (Smith-Taylor would be a good backup IMO, too inconsistent) they will be a force to be reckoned with. I think Melvin compliments DMJ nicely at center.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 08/14/05 7:15 pm    ::: Re: Mystics Got No Quit In 'Em! Reply Reply with quote

"From what I've seen of them this season (two games in person, two on TV) Mystics need a legit center more than..."

You can fill in that blank with anything. A big, tall center is THE #1 missing ingredient for the Styx now that lil bit has taken over the primary pg job. Chas would make a great power forward but does not have the height or width to compete at the top level at center. I'm not sure who can fill the spot until this year's college frosh are ready for the WNBA. Take your pick: Sylvia Fowles, Tasha Humphries, Crystal Langhorne. Two years from now we'll have Tiffany Jackson and Jessica Davenport.

Oh well...Go Styx! as far as you can this year!

~rAf

~rAf
rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 08/14/05 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Tasha Humphries

Awesome player. Can do it all.

dwalkfan22

PostPosted: 08/14/05 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Haven't seen much of her because she was gone for basically the whole season but Laura Harper (F/C) is a great player as well, out in Maryland. Very Happy

PostPosted: 08/14/05 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IMO Smith-Taylor is the only one who plays consistent defense... if she took more shots I think she would be a more consistent scorer... Beard is the TRUE inconsistent player, she gets the high number of shots and the plays called her way and she is just not consistent!!! IMO you don't need all five averaging double figures, but your money players should be consistent. Someone has to do the dirty work.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 08/14/05 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jgt727 wrote:
IMO Smith-Taylor is the only one who plays consistent defense... if she took more shots I think she would be a more consistent scorer... Beard is the TRUE inconsistent player, she gets the high number of shots and the plays called her way and she is just not consistent!!! IMO you don't need all five averaging double figures, but your money players should be consistent. Someone has to do the dirty work.

If Tomato-Head let Nakia play, the Mystics would be in the playoffs.

flojojr2007

PostPosted: 08/15/05 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, the thing about Alana is that she always plays very good defense the problem with her offensively, is that she is taking too many jump shots. Dtsnms had a chat with Alana and got down to the facts: Alana is still suffering from her ankle injuries. She said that she needs rest but obviously she can't rest just yet.
I think that this must be the reason why she isn't going to the basket. I mean last year she was much more of a slasher. I think that they still cause her pain and so maybe she thinks about it too much. I mean when she is aggressive and forgets about her ankles then she puts up big numbers, but when she doesn't get the basket and settles for jump shots then she must be thinking about her ankles and second guessing herself.
As far as CST, i think that she is okay. I mean she was big for us in the early part of the season but she began to fade away, and struggled on the defensive side. I think that it was nice to see her being aggressive and taking more shots yesterday. That is what we are going to need from her. The reason why we do need all our starters to score in double figures is basically because sometimes our bench doesn't do much especially our bigs, also because Alana can't put up 20 a night if she isn't healthy.
I think that during the offseason we need to get a deeper bench. We need a backup PG and we need more consistant bigs. Often when Temeka goes out Alana plays PG, but Alana isn't a PG. She needs to be playing the 2 where she can do her damage.

jgt727

PostPosted: 08/15/05 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with most of your opinion, however I don't think there is one team in the league were their starting five averages double figures. When you think back on ALL of the better WNBA teams, championship or not they have one or two money players, hardly ever three let alone five double figure players. Alana's injuries were public, I am sure that with the physical nature of the league all player's are probably achin'. I like the team that the Mystics have put together but I also think they should mold themselves like prior successful teams, have decent players surround maybe two very good players. Every one should know and play their roles, not step over each other to be something they are not.

flojojr2007

PostPosted: 08/15/05 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think for the most part they do know their roles. I mean Delisha talked about how when she came to Washington she wanted to make the team better but at the same time she knew that it was Alana's team. I think that if they could get more depth they could be very good. I mean they all know that it is Alana's team but they also know that Alana isn't one to be a ballhog, so they will get there shots. I mean with Alana struggling with injuries this year and she herself said that she hasn't played well during the season then the players are growing confidence know that they are playing big roles in the team winning. Right now, they are a very good team, it is just a matter of them being consistent. I think this year Coco is enjoying playing in washington and Page is showing that she is more than a one dimentional defensive expert. If they could just use there speed on Defense and play like they did in the last couple of minutes against the Sun, for an entire game then they could be a real threat.

vanyogan

PostPosted: 08/15/05 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jgt727 wrote:
I agree with most of your opinion, however I don't think there is one team in the league were their starting five averages double figures. When you think back on ALL of the better WNBA teams, championship or not they have one or two money players, hardly ever three let alone five double figure players. Alana's injuries were public, I am sure that with the physical nature of the league all player's are probably achin'. I like the team that the Mystics have put together but I also think they should mold themselves like prior successful teams, have decent players surround maybe two very good players. Every one should know and play their roles, not step over each other to be something they are not.

I think when you play below the rim like the WNBA does, the star system is a loser. It's too easy to stop the star or let them go and shut down the role players. You only need one run to win. The SUN have used balance to win.

The big problem for the SUN [and Wahington] is they need a power center or another power post like Jones. Jones is the only quality power post they have. This is why I think the SUN are going to be wishing they had Feenstra in a couple of years and why I think San Antonio is the team of the future. They have Palmer Daniel and Wecker on the wing, two power posts plus Anderson and Feenstra can actually run some minutes.Daniel can also play the four. They are going to get a couple more good guards next year in the draft.

I actualy think McCarville would be a decent fit for the SUN as a bench player. They can get her the ball in good situations and they could use her defensive rebs and passing skill.

PostPosted: 08/15/05 8:26 pm    ::: Shots from Sun - Mystics game on Sunday Reply Reply with quote

http://sportspagemagazine.com/images/sun/2005/washington/

pilight

PostPosted: 08/15/05 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I doubt that Palmer-Daniel is in San Antonio long term. She'll be back on the FA market after this season.

PostPosted: 08/16/05 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I doubt that Palmer-Daniel is in San Antonio long term. She'll be back on the FA market after this season.

Well, if she's elligible for the expansion draft, not protected by SA(?), she will be playing for Chicago I imagine.

That's another interesting question. Who is SA going to protect?

PostPosted: 08/16/05 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
That's another interesting question. Who is SA going to protect?

They pretty much have to protect Ferdinand, Thomas, and Feenstra. If Wecker is recovering properly then they'll want to keep her too. My guess is Pee Wee and Chantelle Anderson would be the other two.

PostPosted: 08/16/05 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know if they protect Johnson or not. I think it's up in the air. The truth is that with Ivani in there, the offensive system works better. They get more feeds into the post. I can't say the scoring is better but I think the "system" works better.

With Invani and a possible draft choice. It may be that Johnson isn't protected.

I don't want to say that Johnson isn't a team player, I think she has tried very hard to be a true point guard and she's plenty capable.

PostPosted: 08/16/05 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Pee Wee has too much trade value to just let go. I think they keep her even if they're not going to keep her.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: