RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

why are you a women's basketball fan?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
QMcCall3

PostPosted: 07/18/08 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Str8_Butta wrote:

If you have NBA TV it is... I watch it almost every day, just got finished watching the Knicks beat the Suns..

Every single game is also on web cast... which means it's actually easier to watch an NBA summer league game than a WNBA regular season game... Confused

But to stay on topic, the WNBA just satisfies my basketball addiction way better than summer league...

"Basketball is like poetry in motion. Just comin' down the court, you got a defender in your way. You take him to the left. You take him back to the right. And he's fallin' back, and you just "J" right in his face. And then you look at him, and then you say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth Smile
Sass

PostPosted: 07/18/08 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What a great bunch of responses so far. That's what I do love about this board, is the sheer number of fans and thus the variety in experiences and perspectives.

Red, I am going to send for that report - thanks for the link.

pilight, I hear where you're coming from. Just so you know, my question wasn't in the spirit of justifying our fanhood, but just asking what is it about this side of the game is more appealing than the men's side. Listening to men's bball fans talk about their teams and women's fans talk about theirs, I hear very different things. Just trying to get a better hold on what those differences are.

So far you all are far more egalitarian about the game than many men's basketball fans are. I still run into so much blatant bias against women's basketball - more than there should be for the late 00's, in my opinion.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
shotclock off

PostPosted: 07/18/08 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, when I first started watching women's bball, I have to admit, I was repulsed. It wasn't an instantaneous love affair. This is why I have some sympathy, although fleeting, with people who express disgust with the women's game. That's just how I felt. To me it was slow and awkward, with lots of missed shots played by weird, misshapen, ugly looking women. Sorry to be so brutal, but that's how I felt.

Then for some reason, I watched a little more next year. My eyes must have gotten a little used to seeing really tall women cause they didn't look so bad. Then I noticed they were playing really hard. There was nothing delicate about it. That kind of amazed me. The sheer competitiveness intrigued me. Then I noticed that, at times, they could play really well. Over time, certain players grew on me and I kept coming back.

There is still way too much sloppy play for a professional league, it's a rare game that all four quarters are good, but at least part of that is due to exhaustion and scheduling. There aren't too many sports that the players don't get an off-season. With a sport as intense as bball, that's going have an effect. The first month of the WNBA season is actually what should be happening in training camp, if there was one. IMO, this is the most important thing they need to fix, the product itself, then you can figure out how to market it.

Ultimately, basketball is basketball and I've seen the play improve tremendously from the seven years ago I tuned in accidentally. For example, point guards have gone from being dribble machines that stay in the well defined role of setting up plays and that's it, to players that can set up other players, shoot a jumper, drive the lane, fake and pass out etc. A much more fluid and complicated role. Posts like Brunson are replacing the old posts that were slow, lumbering beasts. We're in another era of change now. Seeing incredible team chemistry combined with the increased athleticism and increased bball IQ is what keeps me excited. Dunking and the like is just the icing, not the cake.

BTW, I don't watch or care about college bball at all.

QMcCall3

PostPosted: 07/18/08 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:

Listening to men's bball fans talk about their teams and women's fans talk about theirs, I hear very different things. Just trying to get a better hold on what those differences are.

So far you all are far more egalitarian about the game than many men's basketball fans are. I still run into so much blatant bias against women's basketball - more than there should be for the late 00's, in my opinion.

It's interesting that you frame it as "far more egalitarian"... how so?

Are men's fans expressing biases against the WNBA when you ask them a parallel question about the men's game?

"Basketball is like poetry in motion. Just comin' down the court, you got a defender in your way. You take him to the left. You take him back to the right. And he's fallin' back, and you just "J" right in his face. And then you look at him, and then you say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth Smile
24duzitall

PostPosted: 07/18/08 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[there are a large amount of gay women there.....and you can't tell by looking because a huge amount of gay women are drop dead gorgeous.....

wow, who knew?

PostPosted: 07/18/08 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

QMcCall3 wrote:
Sass wrote:

Listening to men's bball fans talk about their teams and women's fans talk about theirs, I hear very different things. Just trying to get a better hold on what those differences are.

It's interesting that you frame it as "far more egalitarian"... how so?

Are men's fans expressing biases against the WNBA when you ask them a parallel question about the men's game?

I'm seeing here a lot of people saying "basketball is basketball - I just love the game," which I've heard a lot from women's hoops fans over the years. You don't usually find NBA or college men's fans saying that, however.

- Run-DMC
Tiffany Jackson=future

PostPosted: 07/18/08 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Str8_Butta wrote:
MH122 wrote:
QMcCall3 wrote:
MH122 wrote:
Tiffany Jackson=future wrote:

Plus. I need my basketball during the summer when there's no NBA ball.

co-sign

Well there's always summer league... but that basketball is barely watchable unless you want a preview of a top prospect... and even then... Rolling Eyes

You would think that guys fighting for a job would at least try to play good basketball...

summer league is filled with mostly guys going to the d-league that you'll never hear from again. plus it's not televised

If you have NBA TV it is... I watch it almost every day, just got finished watching the Knicks beat the Suns..

Chandler's gonna be a problem.

MuneravenMN
Champion Tipster

PostPosted: 07/18/08 5:36 pm    ::: My Dad Reply Reply with quote

My Dad took me to both men and women's college games when I was younger and I learned early to appreciate both types of play. But the NBA has pretty much lost me as a fan. That whole Seattle Sonics debacle pretty much sealed the deal on how I feel about the NBA: The fans mean nothing to the NBA. It's all ego and money now.

In the WNBA the fans still matter.

PostPosted: 07/18/08 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:

I'm seeing here a lot of people saying "basketball is basketball - I just love the game," which I've heard a lot from women's hoops fans over the years. You don't usually find NBA or college men's fans saying that, however.

Thanks. And a good point.

An additional thought --

I wonder what the differences are in how men's fans, women's fans, or fans of both describe their favorite teams or players.

For example, most of my favorite NBA players are great shooters/team players. The reason I like the WNBA is because it's less of an individual skills showcase.

It would seem that NBA fans whose favorite players are the big, dunking type would be less likely to enjoy the women's game..

But I've also come across fans of men's college basketball who dislike the NBA as a "corrupt" style of basketball, yet don't appreciate the women's game..

A lot to tease out there perhaps...

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 07/18/08 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Str8_Butta wrote:
MH122 wrote:
QMcCall3 wrote:
MH122 wrote:

Plus. I need my basketball during the summer when there's no NBA ball.

co-sign

Well there's always summer league... but that basketball is barely watchable unless you want a preview of a top prospect... and even then... Rolling Eyes

You would think that guys fighting for a job would at least try to play good basketball...

summer league is filled with mostly guys going to the d-league that you'll never hear from again. plus it's not televised

Chandler's gonna be a problem.

Yep!

PostPosted: 07/18/08 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Having experienced women's basketball boom in Brazil in the early 90's and watching legends Paula and (Hall of Famer) Hortencia Marcari win Pan-Ams and World titles was all I needed to get hooked.
Also, being almost 6 feet tall and not very good at volleyball, I had to do something with my spare time (and height), so I picked up a basketball and learned how to play. Very Happy
The first I heard about the WNBA was when they toured Brazil in 1998 and I was interested at first, but only got into it in 2000 after attending my first ever Liberty game. I've always liked men's basketball, but watching the women play is somehow more fulfilling as a fan and former player.

Location: Outer loop of the Capital Beltway heading towards the new National Zoo

PostPosted: 07/18/08 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Having experienced women's basketball boom in Brazil in the early 90's and watching legends Paula and (Hall of Famer) Hortencia Marcari win Pan-Ams and World titles was all I needed to get hooked.
Also, being almost 6 feet tall and not very good at volleyball, I had to do something with my spare time (and height), so I picked up a basketball and learned how to play. Very Happy
The first I heard about the WNBA was when they toured Brazil in 1998 and I was interested at first, but only got into it in 2000 after attending my first ever Liberty game. I've always liked men's basketball, but watching the women play is somehow more fulfilling as a fan and former player.

I'm a former women's bball player in junior college and college albeit in the mode of D-Train...(nose for rebounding but chippie challenged). However, after I beat BCBG25 in a basketball arcade game i was feeling much better about my game... Laughing

Kinda got hooked when started the league started...and the Liberty were doing so well in the late 90s and i began to trash talk on MSNBC board...

PostPosted: 07/18/08 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've always been a hoop junkie. I grew up listening to Johnny Most on the old Admiral desktop radio. Soon the addiction spread, to college and local HS hoops. Sometime in the late 80s, I pick up the paper just before the western Mass HS tournamnt begin, the Parade AAs have just been named. One of them is this kid I'd been reading about for a while, Travis Best at Central, so I decide I definitely have to get down to the tournament to check out Best. But the article also mentions a girl, a sophomore at the tiny little HS I graduated from, also a parade AA. I recognized her last name, had to be the kid sister of this guy who played at Southwick High a few years before, a 6-10 kid, so she came from a family with size. But Jason certainly wasn't on any AA lists, he wasn't even the best player on that SHS team, so I figured I'd go down to the tournament early to root for the Southwick girls and see why Jason Lobo's kid sister was a Parade AA. Uh, yeah. She in fact did have game. (Needless to say, so did Travis Best.) Anyway, after that tournament I made a point of getting to several Southwick gbb games the next two years. Here was someone that was going to put Southwick and SHS on the map, at my first love basketball, so who cares that she's a girl? It was natural to continue to follow her career after she went off to UConn, and this is where the cycle started to close for me. First I noticed that UConn played the kind of disciplined, fundamentally solid basketball I'd grown imagining in my head to Johnny Most's call, the kind of basktball Red Auerbach taught and that was conspicuously disappearing from the men's game in the era of the Detroit Bad Boys and Being Like Mike. Then I noticed it wasn't just UConn, but all the better wcbb programs played good sound fundamental bball, and my primary loyalty flipped at that point from mbb and the Celts to wbb andthe Huskies (though I admit this NBA season was a bit special, ahem). Along came the ABL, and the Blizzard played about 5 games a year at the Springfield Civic Center, which was about two blocks from where I lived at that time. Now I'm comfortably settled in as primarily a wbb fan, it fulfills my hoop junkie jonesing much better than the thoroughly kobefied NBA game ever can now.

auntie

PostPosted: 07/18/08 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My parents went to UCONN and still live in Connecticut. They started watching the Lady Huskies on CPTV during the R. Lobo years. My mom kept on talking about her and the game. I watched the NCAA championship and the Olympic championship games.

The day of the first Liberty home game I was a little depressed, so my husband suggested we go to MSG and to see the game. (Those were still the days when Knicks tickets were hard to come by.) We stood in line for a really long time and got seats way up in the rafters. And I got hooked. (My husband only partially regrets taking me to the game.)

I love women's basketball because it is a team sport. I like the WNBA because it is small enough to know something about most of the players. I watch some NCAA ball and it is fun seeing players I watched when they were in college. And UCONN is my team since I went to a Division III school with an excellent academic reputation.

Although I want the WNBA to do well, I do hope that it doesn't get too big and becomes harder to follow.

So I guess you have figured out that I am a straight woman. I am 49, white, Jewish and childfree.

PostPosted: 07/18/08 7:01 pm    ::: Re: My Dad Reply Reply with quote

MuneravenMN wrote:
My Dad took me to both men and women's college games when I was younger and I learned early to appreciate both types of play. But the NBA has pretty much lost me as a fan. That whole Seattle Sonics debacle pretty much sealed the deal on how I feel about the NBA: The fans mean nothing to the NBA. It's all ego and money now.

In the WNBA the fans still matter

lol... ya if you threaten to take a team somewhere else in the W the fans all get together and buy you out!!! Wink

SASS;
I am 38 years old. A former PG, before injury. I have coached AAU as well as High school for many years. I am a fan of the W because I have watched these kids grow up playing ball. I even tape some games and use them as a tool to show my kids what (or what not) to do. As I coach young women, using the W is more effective in teaching lil girls the game. 1 of the many reasons I love the W is because I have seen a kid or two in my time, off playing by themselves and I'll go see if they want to join my team. when they answer no, usually because of something someone else has told them...like they are; too short, not big enough, a girl. To which I usually laugh and tell them to look at me, I'm 5'6" and 130lbs. Then I ask them if "they" want to play? if so I ask them if it would be OK to speak with their parents.... this conversation is actually a lot funnier, but basically I listen to all the reasons why the lil' girl can't play and then and only then do I tell them to watch something.... I grab a basketball and hand it to their kid and tell her to dribble the ball up turn and then chest pass it back to me, Then I look at their parents and say..." Is she Kobe? no! but yes she does have the ability, and I want her on my team. So... Please Mom and Dad (or who ever is there) will you allow her to play?"

Inevitably it's these same parents who come up to me crying at the end of the season and thank me with tears in their eye's - so proud of their kid.

As for the kid, All I gotta do is show them a tape of Shannon Bobbit winning a National Title, or Becky Hammon driving the lane, or my favorite... explain to these young kids how that amazing player they just saw go all out on D, diving for the ball then get up after she passes it off to except the pass under the basket for the score is Tamika Catchings, and she's deaf.
The kid's tend to not make excuses to me after that. hahaha... I love these women! Wink Twisted Evil Wink

Last edited by CRASH on 07/18/08 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
squints

PostPosted: 07/18/08 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't really remember but my dad told me I was watchign a knicks game when I was about 4 years old. My dad told me that in a few months you would see girls playing basketball on tv just like the Knicks and I guess that was all I needed to hear.

jaye

PostPosted: 07/18/08 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

24duzitall wrote:
[there are a large amount of gay women there.....and you can't tell by looking because a huge amount of gay women are drop dead gorgeous.....

wow, who knew?

i was simply making a statement....i wasn't trying to enlightenment you.... i should have left a space and labeled it smart ass comment here>>> cause i knew it was coming.....

one huge difference between the nba and the wnba is the fans....no offense....but some of you ladies are kinda catty....and tend to look for issues.....look inbetween the lines for things when the writer really didn't intend for anything to be there....

whereas when the men argue it's usually along the lines of who's better than who.....

PostPosted: 07/18/08 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just love the game of basketball. I can't stand to watch the NBA but absolutely love the college game and started to really follow that after Tenn. went back to back in the 90's (yes, Sass I was once a Tenn. fan). I needed something to fill the void in the Summer and found the WNBA, which I follow more than college ball sometimes.

"Our greatest fear is not that we are in adequate, our greatest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure." - Nelson Mandela
Queenie

PostPosted: 07/18/08 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wasn't really into sports as a kid. I mean, I watched playoffs and shit- my earliest sports memories are of an interrupted Knicks game in 1994 and the Yankees-Mariners series on NBC at some point.

My mom, on the other hand... Rangers season tickets, tailgating at Giants Stadium, three generations of pinstripes- sports runs in her blood. And when she heard about the WNBA, it was something she wanted to support, both as a sport and as a cause. I was a hard sell. (Stop laughing.) She made me watch the first game in 1997. She brought me to the first game at the Garden. And the magic happened.

Maybe it was the fact that they won. Maybe it was Timmsy. Maybe it was the teamwork. Maybe it was the brunette Rebecca-never-Becky whose jersey I received as a gift ten years ago. But by 1999 I was following things enough to suggest matchups (I suggested two games to her, the Utah game where Venus Lacy bitchslapped Debbie Black [because I was sure Utah was going to get its act together with the talent they had picked up], and the Houston game where Coquese Washington came up big [because, hello, Houston]), and by 2000 we had season tickets.

And then I found a family of sorts. The Garden is my summer home; the Usual Suspects who hang around it are the cousins and distant relatives I never had. The WNBA, and then college ball (yeah, I went in reverse from the usual, discovering the college game because OMG I neeeeeeeeeeded a fix in the winter), brought me into new communities. It got me one of my best friends, and good friends all over the country and the world. It got me a boyfriend, because I'm one of those women who got picked up at a Liberty game.

Though I've only been on the court for fan events, and the jersey I wear has someone else's name on it, I consider myself a Libkid as much as the thirteen on the roster, because I've grown up with this team, and this league. And someday, whether it's a daughter of my own blood or a neighbor kid, I hope to raise a Libkid of my own and tell her the stories from the beginning.

Demo data: middle-class white female, college educated, New York born and raised, and, as it were, draft class of 2006.

PostPosted: 07/18/08 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My first game was Charlotte vs. NY in '97, about ten games into the season. I had a grad class and got to the game late. I've never been late to a game since. First thing I saw was Spoon taking the ball and going all the way with it. I was hooked right away. The thing that separates women's ball from men's ball in my opinion is the execution required to succeed. Yes, execution is required in any type of basketball, but the women need it even more because they are less likely to be able to create their own shots without the benefit of lots of teamwork. That's why I like it so much. Every possession is a chess match in women's basketball, especially the WNBA. The talent is more evenly dispersed than in college, and usually teams can put 4 or 5 players on the court capable of doing at least some scoring. It leads to a wide variety of decision making based on matchups and how to exploit them to your advantage.

Besides the cerebral part of it, there's also the connection. Especially with the Lib since their history has been primarily about teamwork and hard work. The Lib normally field high-character teams. They're really easy to like. Willis has even grown on me as a result of what has evidently been work that she has put into it. It sounds a little sappy the way I put it I guess, but it really is a special thing. The way the players sacrifice for each other. The way that the bench players regularly cheer on the starters at their actual positions. This connection is just missing from other sports. Hockey is my second favorite sport, and compared to the WNBA, it's a distant second. I was so crushed when the Lib lost to Detroit in the playoffs last year that I couldn't move off my couch for about 30 minutes. Not even so much that they lost....but that it meant there wouldn't be any more games for a year. It's so much more than just a game...at least to me.

Oh...and...ear infection this week. Bad enough to barely make it out of bed Wednesday. But definitely nowhere near severe enough for me to even consider missing the game last night.

Sass

PostPosted: 07/18/08 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, there's identification, attachment, the love of team play. Great answers and great stories so far, y'all.

QMcCall3, there is a lot to tease out, isn't there.

Thanks to those who gave me their demographics. I will probably PM those of you who didn't and get that info from you in confidence.

- Run-DMC
eclair

PostPosted: 07/18/08 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

der alte wrote:
eclair wrote:
There's sex in the WNBA? I must be buying tickets to a different section of the arena. Smile

Gee thanks! But when you're my age, when we say "sex" it's not exactly the same as when you say "sex." Come to my section of the arena, and you'll understand most completely.

...just wondering how old you and I are? Do you think I'm young or old?

I'm with whoever said that basketball is basketball, and it's all wonderful. (Except for the bringing together part--this place seems mostly like a tool for fomenting division lately.)

And Sassy, I know plenty of men's bball fans whose prejudices don't get in the way of their love for basketball. They're mostly men under 25 who have grown up with women athletes, and men over 40 who have daughters who play.

PostPosted: 07/18/08 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My grandparents and father watch "the girls" (uconn) and I sat down and watched a game when I was 12...and I've been a fan ever since. (My first team I wated was the 2002 undefeated Uconn team) My favorite player at the time was Sue Bird, and so I followed her to the WNBA.

I watched women before I watched men, so I actually prefer "their game"

PostPosted: 07/18/08 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i used to play at junior college waaay back when. i wasn't a very good dribbler, but i could play the defense, i was one of those ankle-biter types. Smile

i went to one storm game in 2001, storm vs. sparks. omg, it was so bad, the sparks cleaned the floor with the storm led by a tall, lanky, brunette kid from australia. it was the only game i went to that year.

when sue bird was drafted in '02, i knew the name and her reputation, so i started going. i was amazed by what that young woman could do with a basketball! then to watch her and lj team up; it was phenomenal.

but, i must say, the one game that stood out for me that first year, was once again a sparks game. i bet sass and eclair can remember the situation. it was the mix-up between marciniak and byears. Smile

mm on the floor after getting stomped on by tot jumps up and just gets in her face and had to be restrained by her teammates. well, i was hooked from that moment on. the balls out intensity and guts of that wee girl from ut was addictive. here were women who just played with all their heart and soul. they truly were athletes. they were getting banged up, sweating profusely and they didn't care. they were doing what they loved. who could possibly resist that?

and, of course, over the years, i've had the pleasure of watching lj and sue grow and development their games. there have been plenty of ups and downs, but that's just part of the game.

last year my vacation was built around the storm's eastern swing. i saw some terrific basketball as well as meeting and hanging out with a number of the new york contingency. its been said before, but the community of women's bb is a welcoming place. we all share a common bond that allows us to have a safe place to start with each other; it makes a real difference and allows us to discover and open up to people who share our interests, no matter where we all live.

to sum up, i just enjoy all aspects of the women's game: the commraderie, the physicality, and the chess game that is basketball.

sorry, sass, didn't mean to be so long-winded.

PostPosted: 07/18/08 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:

but, i must say, the one game that stood out for me that first year, was once again a sparks game. i bet sass and eclair can remember the situation. it was the mix-up between marciniak and byears. Smile

mm on the floor after getting stomped on by tot jumps up and just gets in her face and had to be restrained by her teammates. well, i was hooked from that moment on. the balls out intensity and guts of that wee girl from ut was addictive. here were women who just played with all their heart and soul. they truly were athletes. they were getting banged up, sweating profusely and they didn't care. they were doing what they loved. who could possibly resist that?

its been said before, but the community of women's bb is a welcoming place. we all share a common bond that allows us to have a safe place to start with each other; it makes a real difference and allows us to discover and open up to people who share our interests, no matter where we all live.

Scully,

I remeber that.. When TOT threw the ball in MMM's face I had to be restrained Evil or Very Mad I havn't liked her since!!!!

The wbb community is a safe and welcoming place, I love it! thanks for the memories...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: