RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Jackson goal: Bring first gold to Australia.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 07/16/08 9:34 am    ::: Jackson goal: Bring first gold to Australia. Reply Reply with quote

http://www.nbcolympics.com/athletes/athlete=571/news/newsid=151330.html?_source=rss&cid=

Quote:
"We don't consider ourselves any less than the Americans or Russians. I think it comes down to those three teams,'' Jackson said. "It's going to be a battle, but at the end of the day when I come back (to Seattle) after the Olympics I know that I'm going to have done everything I could for my country and everything I could for my team.''

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/16/08 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would argue that if she truly wanted to do everything possible, she would not be in the USA right now.

PostPosted: 07/16/08 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you mean take the season off like PT, why? PT took the time off to be with her family; the Olympics was secondary. At least hat is why I got from reading all the stories.

Quote:
Taylor decided her best preparation for the Olympics was to bypass the WNBA season and spend some downtime at home near Melbourne with her family.
Quote:
For Jackson, taking time off wasn't ever considered. Her best preparation is playing - all the time

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

"My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors."
scullyfu

PostPosted: 07/16/08 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
I would argue that if she truly wanted to do everything possible, she would not be in the USA right now.

luuc, lj is not with the team. she played her last game on saturday against the sparks. she's taking a few days vacation before joining the aussie team. i can't believe you'd begrudge her a few days of r&r.

btw, according to what i heard, tully isn't leaving until after friday's game against the storm. i guess she doesn't want to do everything possible for the aussie team either. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 07/16/08 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Its gonna be so much fun watching her and Penny playing again for the Opals...I hope to god I can get at last a stream for the Opals games somewhere. Smile

PostPosted: 07/16/08 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

Well, you could argue that playing against the best prepares you more than practicing with some of your teammates. (As it isn't clear if Penny has been practicing with the team or just taking time off. And Tully obviously hasn't been.)

PostPosted: 07/16/08 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The aggression LJ played with against the Sparks shows she is preparing to face the Americans in the Olympics.

I said at the time that Candace better not let LJ block her like that in Beijing. When she is in Red, White and Blue she is my girl...when she is in purple and gold she is that slimy stuff in the bottom of my vegetable bin in the fridge.

1) Think about "what if?" he had gotten that lottery ball in 2015....
2) Remember to watch some NCAA games
3) Invest in mystical restorative ointments for hips, knees, backs and well everything.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/16/08 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

luuc, lj is not with the team. she played her last game on saturday against the sparks. she's taking a few days vacation before joining the aussie team. i can't believe you'd begrudge her a few days of r&r.

btw, according to what i heard, tully isn't leaving until after friday's game against the storm. i guess she doesn't want to do everything possible for the aussie team either. Rolling Eyes

Just so that my POV is not misunderstood, I'm not begrudging anyone anything.
I think what LJ and Tully are doing is a sensible compromise between their Opals commitments and WNBA commitments, and I have absolutely no problem with it.
I'm just saying that technically, LJ could have done more. (Just picking on her words. Definitely not having a problem. After all, she would have been quite within her rights to keep playing WNBA until the break)

PostPosted: 07/16/08 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

You don't think her first hand scouting of the US players will be helpful?

PostPosted: 07/16/08 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

An extra couple of months isn't going to be any more beneficial than the 7 or 8 years she's spent playing prior.

I agree with Luuuc, I totally respect and agree with how she's gone about things this year, but if she wants to say 'EVERYTHING possible', then, well, technically, that just aint true. Wink

PostPosted: 07/16/08 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

First hand scouting is helpful... yes. But I'd say the benefits of gelling with her teammates would outweigh any additional scouting she might have done. WNBA fans whine about how their teams haven't gelled a month into the season so I don't think it is unreasonable concept to think it might have an impact in a two week competition.

But players they can all do as they please as far as I'm concerned - it's their long term careers and plans they are looking out for which is fine. If we don't win gold I'm not about to turn around and say "It's all LJ's and Tully's fault because they didn't turn up earlier"... I'll blame Jan Twisted Evil [/i]

JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 07/16/08 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ottie wrote:
pilight wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

First hand scouting is helpful... yes. But I'd say the benefits of gelling with her teammates would outweigh any additional scouting she might have done. WNBA fans whine about how their teams haven't gelled a month into the season so I don't think it is unreasonable concept to think it might have an impact in a two week competition.

But players they can all do as they please as far as I'm concerned - it's their long term careers and plans they are looking out for which is fine. If we don't win gold I'm not about to turn around and say "It's all LJ's and Tully's fault because they didn't turn up earlier"... I'll blame Jan Twisted Evil [/i]

She played with most of them for YEARS

PostPosted: 07/16/08 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JACKOWACKO wrote:

You say that, yet the upcoming practice match against Brazil will be the first time Lauren and Penny have played together on Australian soil, according to BA.

PostPosted: 07/17/08 7:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JACKOWACKO wrote:

Absolute rubbish.
She plays games involving Team USA members a hell of a lot more often than games involving her Opals teammates.

PostPosted: 07/17/08 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She may have played with *some* them for years... but not that many games over those years. The Opals schedule in most years really isn't that packed, especially when you take into acccount the amount of Opals games that different key players miss because of other committments. Very rarely does a full strength side get together.

A side note - LJ coming back to join the Opals was on the Sunrise ticker this morning (Good Morning America equivalent). She was supposed to be interviewed but I missed it (damn work). Anyone see it?

JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 07/17/08 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You simply cannot blame Lauren for playing the W to start the season. I mean cmon.

In the games Ive seen her with the Opals she has never looked out of sorts, and the Opals ALWAYS seem more cohesive than the other teams.

So I really dont understand why this is an issue.

PostPosted: 07/17/08 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ottie wrote:
She may have played with *some* them for years... but not that many games over those years. The Opals schedule in most years really isn't that packed, especially when you take into acccount the amount of Opals games that different key players miss because of other committments. Very rarely does a full strength side get together.

A side note - LJ coming back to join the Opals was on the Sunrise ticker this morning (Good Morning America equivalent). She was supposed to be interviewed but I missed it (damn work). Anyone see it?

Here you go mate:
Lozzy.

Hard to believe she just flew in from America. She doesn't look worse for the wear. Whenever I fly back home I look like the living dead for at least a week.

OT: Watching those videos makes me suddenly very homesick. It's funny when I'm home I normally can't stand Sunrise. My mum was telling me how they had wall-to-wall coverage on the birth of Sunday Roast last week, and I was thinking I wouldn't mind seeing that. Guess it's a sign I've been away for way too long.

Last edited by paigeme on 07/17/08 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
AAEmotion

PostPosted: 07/17/08 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JACKOWACKO wrote:
You simply cannot blame Lauren for playing the W to start the season. I mean cmon.

In the games Ive seen her with the Opals she has never looked out of sorts, and the Opals ALWAYS seem more cohesive than the other teams.

So I really dont understand why this is an issue.

Who here is saying it's an issue? I know none of the Aussies in this thread are - aside from a few light hearted stabs at the way LJ worded things, it's all been supportive.

Dunno what thread you've been reading Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 07/17/08 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No issue here.

btw good to see LJ make the national news last night. They intercepted her at the airport when she arrived and had a brief chat to her.
Nice to see a bit of Opals news every 2 years or so Smile

PostPosted: 07/17/08 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
No issue here.

btw good to see LJ make the national news last night. They intercepted her at the airport when she arrived and had a brief chat to her.
Nice to see a bit of Opals news every 2 years or so Smile

How did they know when she was scheduled to arrive? You know the Olympics are coming up when a member of the Opals receives the Kidman treatment.

PostPosted: 07/17/08 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAEmotion wrote:
You say that, yet the upcoming practice match against Brazil will be the first time Lauren and Penny have played together on Australian soil, according to BA.

Yeah I read that but it's not true. LJ and Penny were in the Aussie team during the Opals World Challenge back in '02 or was it '03.... time flies. I remember it well because it was my first one-on-one interaction with PT.

"If Seattle decides to sit Wright, Little and Stricklen for the majority of the season for stuffy noses, ingrown toenails and acid reflux you can start talking about shams." psheehy
AAEmotion

PostPosted: 07/17/08 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shed wrote:
AAEmotion wrote:

Yeah I read that but it's not true. LJ and Penny were in the Aussie team during the Opals World Challenge back in '02 or was it '03.... time flies. I remember it well because it was my first one-on-one interaction with PT.

Ha yea, I thought they played together during that tournament, which is why I conveniently put 'According to BA' ... scapegoats are good. But still - in the, how many years they've been involved with the opals, WNBL etc, they've only played together once? Definitely not the 'years' jackowacko is talking about. Laughing

PostPosted: 07/18/08 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAEmotion wrote:
Shed wrote:
AAEmotion wrote:

Ha yea, I thought they played together during that tournament, which is why I conveniently put 'According to BA' ... scapegoats are good. But still - in the, how many years they've been involved with the opals, WNBL etc, they've only played together once? Definitely not the 'years' jackowacko is talking about. Laughing

W/e...I still say they play together as a team as good if not better than any other National Team. What the heck else do you want? Cool

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: