RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Merc won't knock Hammon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 07/15/08 5:47 am    ::: Merc won't knock Hammon Reply Reply with quote

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/120810

Quote:
We're all capitalist in this world - I'm all for it

PostPosted: 07/15/08 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Like Hammon, Miller plays in Russia during the WNBA offseason, and the two Americans are naturalized citizens. Needing an upgrade at point guard for the Beijing Games, Russia took advantage of a FIBA rule that allows one naturalized citizen per team and narrowed its choice to Hammon, Miller and Detroit's Deanna Nolan.

While the decision to go with Hammon was made during the Russian league season, if she had been sidelinded for any reason, Miller knows she could have been next in line.

"It would have been a tough decision. Fortunately, I didn't have to make it," Miller said Monday.

Although it seems clear that it'll be Hammon, I thought the official story was that all three were on the roster and they'd all be trying out? Why would they add Miller and Nolan to the roster if they decided during the winter to go with Hammon? Just randomly wondering...

WNBAfan23

PostPosted: 07/15/08 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What if Hammon blows a knee out tonight? What if Hammon finally decides she can't do it? Olympics only happen once every four years might as well have a backup plan.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/15/08 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"If we can't have you
we don't want nobody, Becky
If we can't have you,
uhuhhh... ohh"

PostPosted: 07/15/08 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
"If we can't have you
If we can't have you,
uhuhhh... ohh"

awww Luuuc, that song and those lyrics going to be in my head -all- day! bad meme! bad meme!

*kiss kiss*

PostPosted: 07/15/08 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
"If we can't have you
If we can't have you,
uhuhhh... ohh"

Laughing Very Happy Twisted Evil

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
caune

PostPosted: 07/15/08 2:04 pm    ::: Re: Merc won't knock Hammon Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:

hmm, the "other" Arizona newspaper has D being a little less accepting, at least if she were making the decision...

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/mercury/articles/2008/07/14/20080714mercury0715.html

Quote:
For Taurasi, the Olympics are about playing for country.

Quote:
"People in USA jerseys," Taurasi said. "That's the only people I care about. If you're not wearing a USA jersey, you're not on my team. Becky and I are pretty good friends. Overseas, we talked about it. She's comfortable with the decision. That's all that matters."

The controversy doesn't surprise Taurasi, who was part of the U.S. team that won gold four years ago.

"For the average person, the Olympics are about playing for your country," Taurasi said.

But Taurasi said she might be tempted to play for Italy or Argentina. Her dad is Italian. Her mom is from Argentina.

"It's different if you have lineage to that country," she said. "It's different if you have a connection to that country."

Quote:
"I probably wouldn't do it," Pondexter said. "But I didn't have to make the decision. I'm not here to judge her. There are a lot of things that go into it, including finances."

PostPosted: 07/15/08 2:16 pm    ::: Re: Merc won't knock Hammon Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

hmm, the "other" Arizona newspaper has D being a little less accepting, at least if she were making the decision...

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/mercury/articles/2008/07/14/20080714mercury0715.html

Quote:
For Taurasi, the Olympics are about playing for country.

Quote:
"People in USA jerseys," Taurasi said. "That's the only people I care about. If you're not wearing a USA jersey, you're not on my team. Becky and I are pretty good friends. Overseas, we talked about it. She's comfortable with the decision. That's all that matters."

The controversy doesn't surprise Taurasi, who was part of the U.S. team that won gold four years ago.

"For the average person, the Olympics are about playing for your country," Taurasi said.

But Taurasi said she might be tempted to play for Italy or Argentina. Her dad is Italian. Her mom is from Argentina.

"It's different if you have lineage to that country," she said. "It's different if you have a connection to that country."

Quote:
"I probably wouldn't do it," Pondexter said. "But I didn't have to make the decision. I'm not here to judge her. There are a lot of things that go into it, including finances."

That still seems pretty accepting, but this article makes it seem like it's something neither Taurasi or Pondexter would do.

I think they've got it right. The olympics are special because you are suiting up for your country. But in the end, it's Becky's decision and they aren't going to judge.

Personally, LJ's reaction has been my fave so far.

PostPosted: 07/15/08 3:25 pm    ::: Re: Merc won't knock Hammon Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

What was her reaction? I guess I missed it........

PostPosted: 07/15/08 3:56 pm    ::: Re: Merc won't knock Hammon Reply Reply with quote

SuziQ wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

That AD should shut her mouth until she knows all the circumstances surrounding it.. Laughing

PostPosted: 07/15/08 4:20 pm    ::: Re: Merc won't knock Hammon Reply Reply with quote

SuziQ wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

I can imagine something like this...

Reporter: What's your reaction on Becky Hammon making the Russian Olympic Team?
LJ: Wait, she's Russian?
Reporter: No.
LJ: What the fuck, mate?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 07/15/08 5:06 pm    ::: Re: Merc won't knock Hammon Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
SuziQ wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

That AD should shut her mouth until she knows all the circumstances surrounding it.. Laughing

Aww, I'm reminded of why I love LJ so much!

www.myspace.com/nothingmoremusic
shotclock off

PostPosted: 07/15/08 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"If you play in this country, live in this country and you grow up in the heartland and you put on a Russian uniform, you are not a patriotic person in my mind," Donovan, who was on the U.S. team that won gold in 1984 and '88, told ESPN.

Ouch.

But, that's the way most people who aren't really familiar with all the details will see this, like it or not. There's not going to be a lot of nuance involved.

I'll admit it feels weird to me. I know athletes have such a short span of opportunity, and injuries took at least a year out of Hammon's athletic career already, but ultimately, it does come down to representing your country. That's what it's supposed to be about. I'm not going to hold it against her, but there are others who probably will.

tc17

PostPosted: 07/15/08 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shotclock off wrote:
Quote:
"If you play in this country, live in this country and you grow up in the heartland and you put on a Russian uniform, you are not a patriotic person in my mind," Donovan, who was on the U.S. team that won gold in 1984 and '88, told ESPN.

Ouch.

But, that's the way most people who aren't really familiar with all the details will see this, like it or not. There's not going to be a lot of nuance involved.

I'll admit it feels weird to me. I know athletes have such a short span of opportunity, and injuries took at least a year out of Hammon's athletic career already, but ultimately, it does come down to representing your country. That's what it's supposed to be about. I'm not going to hold it against her, but there are others who probably will.

Not trying to defend AD or anything, but LLL said basically the same thing:

Quote:
"That's un-American'' Leslie said when she first heard of Hammon's decision.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/olympics/wires/07/12/2030.ap.as.oly.bkl.china.women.s.basketball.preview.0657/

I guess it's a little intriguing that AD has gotten so much flak for that comment, but I haven't read anything negative about LLL's comment. I don't really find anything wrong with either statement. They're all entitled to their opinions, and ultimately Hammon will do what's best for her regardless of what others think.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: