RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

olympic team USA alternates
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CB

PostPosted: 07/11/08 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
STLnTDOT wrote:
caune wrote:
lol, the only Gold becky is gonna get is a gold tooth the Russian dentist uses to replace the ones that get knocked out when she tries to drive the lane with DMJ in there Shocked

They may support her decision in the press but they won't be too nice to her on court Cool

Boy... that was clever

well it won't get me a Russian passport...but I can live with that Rolling Eyes

gotta love that Olympic spirit. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 07/11/08 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CB wrote:
caune wrote:
STLnTDOT wrote:
caune wrote:
lol, the only Gold becky is gonna get is a gold tooth the Russian dentist uses to replace the ones that get knocked out when she tries to drive the lane with DMJ in there Shocked

They may support her decision in the press but they won't be too nice to her on court Cool

Boy... that was clever

well it won't get me a Russian passport...but I can live with that Rolling Eyes

gotta love that Olympic spirit. Rolling Eyes

My Olympic spirit is mostly focused on the country I was born and raised in...is that somehow a problem?

PostPosted: 07/11/08 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is for the obsessedwithHammonites.

John Wooden
Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/11/08 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
Whalen An Alternate For Olympic Team
Quote:
"The only thing that seemed to work against her over the last couple of years, and she'd admit this, was that it was very difficult for her to take part in many of the team's training sessions because of her injuries, her wedding last year and her obligations to play internationally," Thibault said.

"We're trying to foster an environment [on the national team] that encourages players to be more regular participants. Those who are on the team were able to put in the time and are deserving of the honor. If something happens to one of the other players, she may get her opportunity. But she has plenty of time left, at least a couple of more cycles in her career, and I think she will make her case."

If the qualifications required for the head coach position remain the same Thibault looks like the obvious favourite to take over after the Games. If that's the case, you've gotta think Whalen might have a chance to take the starting point-guard spot away from Bird with her long-term WNBA coach in charge. I'd be surprised if she's not on the 2010 Worlds squad.

Swoopes_O'grady

PostPosted: 07/11/08 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ajdawg7 wrote:
It is for the obsessedwithHammonites.

Well, that's too bad! Laughing

PostPosted: 07/11/08 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

If the qualifications required for the head coach position remain the same Thibault looks like the obvious favourite to take over after the Games. If that's the case, you've gotta think Whalen might have a chance to take the starting point-guard spot away from Bird with her long-term WNBA coach in charge. I'd be surprised if she's not on the 2010 Worlds squad.

the coach only makes recommendations, the committee picks the team...so maybe the committee needs to be stacked Wink

PostPosted: 07/11/08 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

the coach only makes recommendations, the committee picks the team...so maybe the committee needs to be stacked Wink

I know that, but as we've seen in all the various warm-up squads prior to this tournament, about 30 different players tend to play at some point for Team USA. If Thibault is head coach and consistently uses Whalen as his starting point guard in those warm-up squads whenever she's available, you think the selection committee would really leave her out?

It's an endless debate that we can't know the complete answer to without being inside the process, but I refuse to believe that the team is just selected for the head coach. He/She must at least have significant input into who is put on the squad.

caune

PostPosted: 07/11/08 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
caune wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I know that, but as we've seen in all the various warm-up squads prior to this tournament, about 30 different players tend to play at some point for Team USA. If Thibault is head coach and consistently uses Whalen as his starting point guard in those warm-up squads whenever she's available, you think the selection committee would really leave her out?

It's an endless debate that we can't know the complete answer to without being inside the process, but I refuse to believe that the team is just selected for the head coach. He/She must at least have significant input into who is put on the squad.

go read Tara VanDerVeers book about coaching the team...it's very enlightening about the slection process.

Thibault can't consistently use Whalen as his starting point if she doesn't give up money and rest to be available for all those games can he?

PostPosted: 07/11/08 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
go read Tara VanDerVeers book about coaching the team...it's very enlightening about the slection process.

Thibault can't consistently use Whalen as his starting point if she doesn't give up money and rest to be available for all those games can he?

Although I haven't read it, I've heard about what VanDerVeer said. I've also heard that Chancellor said he "got everyone he wanted" when he was in charge. But it's a different head of the women's branch of USA Basketball these days, and a different make-up for the committee, and obviously a different coach - with all those changes I wouldn't expect the dynamic to necessarily remain the same.

And it only takes Bird and Whalen showing up together to one or two of those many, many training camps, and Bird being chained to the bench while Whalen plays 30+ minutes, to make a pretty explicit point. I'd expect Whalen to be more inclined to show up to some of them if she thinks there's a legitimate shot to win the starting spot as well. Bird's been preordained as the starting point guard for the last 4 years (at least), and especially with Donovan in charge the most Whalen would ever have been competing for in those training camps is 10 minutes per game as a backup. Personally I'd be far more likely to make time in my schedule and show up if I thought it was going to be a realistic may-the-best-woman-win contest.

ladeeda

PostPosted: 07/11/08 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Whalen makes the commitment, she will make the 2012 Olympic team. Whether or not she will take Sue's starting spot is another story.... it really depends on how they play from now on...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: