RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Lisa Leslie's last Olympics a golden transition time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 07/07/08 9:17 pm    ::: Lisa Leslie's last Olympics a golden transition time. Reply Reply with quote

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-elliott8-2008jul08,0,7802334,full.column

Quote:
"She prepares herself every day to be great," said Gail Goestenkors, an assistant coach of the Olympic team and observer of Leslie since her high school days.

"She was not only playing excellent basketball, she was a great leader. She has always been a great player and now she has an added maturity to her game. She's very patient. We had a lot of young players, and she helped them understand what they needed to do to be successful."

icey23

PostPosted: 07/07/08 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lisa better go until 2012.

PostPosted: 07/07/08 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's the first time she's said she wouldn't be back for 2012.

PostPosted: 07/07/08 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you want LLL to keep playing, suggest to her that she should play until her daughter is old enough to remember watching her play - that'll get us about four more years.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 07/07/08 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
So meticulous about her appearance that she wears makeup during games, she no longer has time to get her hair done, have her nails polished, get a massage.

But one recent day she stayed on the court long after the Sparks' practice had ended, tutoring teammate Jessica Moore on the fine points of rebounding. She made time for that because she is generous and because, having just turned 36 Monday, she knows that a legacy should encompass more than numbers in a record book.

You blink in this game and yesterday's 'phenom' is today's waiver wire cut. Then you have the the trusty subs, the role players. the gamers. and the skillsets so valuable to their teams that those who possess them are designated core players.

You've got to climb a few rungs further, before you're inhaling the oxygen of a handful of players whose careers span the length of the league's existence and on whose shoulders its greatness was built.

Lisa Leslie is the pinnacle of the climb. There's nothing left for LL to prove, but its doubtful you'll see a hungrier player than Lisa on the court in Bejing.

abontorab9

PostPosted: 07/07/08 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh no! Mother Basketball is done with basketball soon? Wow. I really never thought it would happen. I knew it would happen eventually, but I guess I just never ACTUALLY thought it would happen. She's so great. But of course, I respect her decision. Hopefully Thompson sticks around longer so we don't lose our TWO mother basketballs at the same time. Confused

bballinmysoul

PostPosted: 07/08/08 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great college career at USC, even better pro career with 2 WNBA titles (and I think she'll get at least 1 more before she retires), 3 MVP awards, 3 All-Star Game MVP awards, Most Outstanding Player at the 2002 World Championships, and oh yes - 3 consecutive Olympic Gold Medals and hopefully a 4th next month.

To me she's the best center the game has seen. Over her career she's gone to war in the paint, scored, rebounded, defended, blocked shots, made steals, hit 3 point shots, and this season we're seeing what a wonderful passer she is. She currently leads the league in rebounding and blocked shots, two categories you want your center to lead the league in. The woman has game.

If I were to compare her to a male player, it would be Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Kareem had multiple skills and was smooth - which Lisa is currently, and what Michael Cooper appropriately calls her.

braveniler58

PostPosted: 07/08/08 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballinmysoul wrote:
Great college career at USC, even better pro career with 2 WNBA titles (and I think she'll get at least 1 more before she retires), 3 MVP awards, 3 All-Star Game MVP awards, Most Outstanding Player at the 2002 World Championships, and oh yes - 3 consecutive Olympic Gold Medals and hopefully a 4th next month.

To me she's the best center the game has seen. Over her career she's gone to war in the paint, scored, rebounded, defended, blocked shots, made steals, hit 3 point shots, and this season we're seeing what a wonderful passer she is. She currently leads the league in rebounding and blocked shots, two categories you want your center to lead the league in. The woman has game.

If I were to compare her to a male player, it would be Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Kareem had multiple skills and was smooth - which Lisa is currently, and what Michael Cooper appropriately calls her.

That's absolutely no question. Nobody is a better center than she is.

PostPosted: 07/08/08 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's very interesting, because from a comment she made during an autograph session a couple weeks ago, she really has a hunger to play. I didn't think she was as prepared for that transition as she makes it seem in this column.

But if she stays true to her word and retires soon, I am almost a Sparks fan. Laughing

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
bullsky

PostPosted: 07/08/08 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She deserves to carry the flag.

PostPosted: 07/08/08 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
She deserves to carry the flag.

Sure does especially if this is her last run.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: